Hobbyist Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
566 Posts
Given that fans totally lose their $hmit whenever The Force Awakens or Rebels hauled out old McQuarrie designs, can anyone really blame the producers for giving the McQuarrieprise an update? Geek nostalgia, people! It's all about nostalgia these days (Jurassic World, The Force Awakens, etc.etc.), not original ideas. Of course they made the ship the McQuarrieprise, including asteroid cave dry dock. It's an homage, dotcha know. What, you're going to criticize the great McQuarrie?!?! Turn in your geek credentials and 12-sided dice, nerd!

· Registered
566 Posts
I love the smell of a good fanboy freakout in the morning. :nerd:

I'll give the show and the ship a chance, because it's way too early to really know anything. The fact that Trek is back on TV is good. The Trek concept works best on TV and I like that they're going to tell new stories with a new crew rather than doing some sort of nostalgia reboot. That said, that the show's acronym is "STD" is hilarious. They were obviously trying to capture Trek's essence of exploration and seeking out new knowledge, but c'mon, producers need to think these things through.

· Registered
566 Posts
Officially they are saying it's "DSC".
They can "officially" give it whatever acronym they want, people are still going to call it STD. If it's an immediate hit, they'll call it that affectionately. If it's a bomb, they'll use it derisively.

When I first saw the article announcing the title, I mistakenly told my wife the show was called "Star Trek Destiny." She responded, "They're giving Star Trek stripper names now? Does the new bridge have a pole?":laugh:

· Registered
566 Posts
I know it's early but...

Am I the only one who thinks the animation itself looks incredibly phony? It looks like it's full motion video from a ST game 20 years ago.
It does, but I'm not sure how much better it's going to get on a TV budget. This show is going to be expensive. I doubt it'd even rise to the level of TOS-R quality and that's a fairly low bar.

· Registered
566 Posts
I never liked the Voyager either; looked like a shoe with warp engines. :)
I always think 'upside down spoon,' but you're not wrong. My complaint about Voyager, and all the TNG era ships, is all the Sternbach details that clutter up the curves and lines -- the phaser emitters, the lifeboat hatches, the transporter whatevers. I like that there are functional details, but I'd prefer them to be more subtle so they blend in until you really get close.

What I'm interested in seeing is how this show measures up to "peak television"--the original series was as good as anything on the air at the time. The other shows, while all of them had strong installments, I don't think were on the cutting edge of TV in terms of drama for the most part. That's going to be a big challenge.
This. We're in a new TV "golden age." Right now, all the creative juice in the industry is in TV. Game of Thrones, House of Cards, Walking Dead. I want Trek to be true to its roots, but also to be relevant, surprising and to evolve. With both Star Trek and (sadly) Star Wars, fans get really conservative and protective about what "is" and "is not" acceptable in those franchises. First and foremost the show should be top notch drama. The ship's design is way down my list of priorities.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.