Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Greetings, fellow hobbyists. I’m interested in buying Zvezda WW2 Soviet IL-2 bomber plane, La-5, and P-40 fighter planes and either Zvezda or Kangam Su-25 bomber planer. I wanted to know what is the quality of the planes or how good are they compared to Testors, the original Monogram, AMT, Airfix, Revell Germany, Hasegawa, Tamiya, etc. These are new foreign companies I never heard about before when I got back into model building. I was thinking about buying a few old 1/72 Revell Su-25 kit. However, I read that it isn’t accurate compared to the Russian Zvezda Su-25 since the Revell kit was manufactured during the hieght of the Cold War when the Russian armaments and vehicles were top secret like the movie Foxfire or the Mig-15, Yak-23, Mig-25 planes that US intelligence was able to get their hands on during the height of the Cold War. I want to build a small airfield diorama of modern Russian planes consisting of Su-25 and Mig-29 planes and WW2 Soviet planes. Thanks ahead for any answers I get.

·
Oxidation Genius
31,237 Posts
Well, I can't address those specific models, as I've never had them. But my general experience with Svezda is that there us always something about the kit that annoys the hell out of me. Usually there's a major part that just doesn't fit, or some shape that's just way inaccurate. For instance, their F-22 Raptor kits have a gigantic cross-ways seam on the back of the airplane that's hell to get rid of, and once you get that done you discover the engine intake inlets don't fit the fusealage at all.

Also watch for reboxings - Both Revell/Germany and Italeri license-sell Svezda kits in their own boxes. If you buy a 1/48 F-22 in a R/G box, it turns out to be the Svezda kit. And most of Italeri's modern jet fighter kits are really Svezdas in disguise.

I yield the floor to anyone who's built the kits actually mentioned in nunchuck's question...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the tip, John. I think I might get two Zvezda Su-25 kit since there’s a lot of after market addons for the Zvezda Su-25 version. Revell’s Su-25 is cheaper in online stores and e-bay but I think the kit is long forgotten by after market producers since it was made during the Cold War where Revell based the plane on intelligence reports. I’m not sure if these parts can fit with the Revell Su-25.
Su-25 interior details 1
Su-25 interior details 2
Su-25 decal
DML modern soviet weapons

1 - 3 of 3 Posts