Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Saw the 5 pak Zingers at TRU today. Checked the price $10.99 (same as the older 5 paks). You get 5 cars for approx. $2.20 each.
Why not just sell the majority of cars in sets of 5? It would be cheaper per car than spending $4 to $5 for each individual one. I haven't purchase any of the newer single cars yet at that price.
I was surprised that the cost of the 5 paks haven't increased since the cost of Zinc went up. Which makes me think that the cost of packaging is a big factor.
Not trying to stir up a cost arguement. Only bringing up the point that it would be cheaper to buy the cars in 5 paks if the cost stayed the same.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
prayingmantis said:
Saw the 5 pak Zingers at TRU today. Checked the price $10.99 (same as the older 5 paks). You get 5 cars for approx. $2.20 each.
Why not just sell the majority of cars in sets of 5? It would be cheaper per car than spending $4 to $5 for each individual one. I haven't purchase any of the newer single cars yet at that price.
I was surprised that the cost of the 5 paks haven't increased since the cost of Zinc went up. Which makes me think that the cost of packaging is a big factor.
Head To Head sets are 9.99 for 2 cars, on the other hand.

Typically, it's simple supply and demand setting the prices, not raw materials cost. Zinc prices cuts into manufacturing costs, which forces manufaturers to either lose profit, or raise price. Higher price -> potentially less demand, depending on elasticity. Or other manufacturers step in. Market eventually corrects itself.

I think we'll see manufacturers cut down on big ticket investments while trying to put out the same quantity of product. In other words, less new castings, more repaints.

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
I haven't picked those Zingers up due to finances, but they look pretty sharp.

I've said enough about pricing. I can't afford to collect regularly as it is. So I'll leave past statements stand on that note.

·
Registered
7,693 Posts
It's a fickle market to say the least. I see HTH sets warming the shelves at TRU. Even though the Zinger box sets are new, I usually see 4 or 5 of the sets out of the case of 6 sitting on the shelves.
I am happy to see RC2 getting product to market! Some of the "new" stuff is starting to warm the pegs, but for the most part, it's pretty decent stuff that shouldn't get too dusty.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts