Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Bought as a gift for me by my friend Jon/mech, this is one awesome kit. It's arguably the most easily recognizable member of the RTF (not including Galactica, obviously), the "ringship" Zephyr. Also called "Space Park", the ship is from Intersun Lines and features a spinning habitat ring. The scale on this kit from Timeslip Creations is 1/4105 scale and the model itself is right about 12" / 30.48cm long and the diameter of the habitat ring is 6.5" / 16.51cm.

Ringship Zephyr Photobucket Album

I built it up fairly quickly after receiving it, but then was somewhat stumped as to what I was going to do for the habitat ring. So, after painting the main hull Tamiya AS-16, USAF Light Grey, the main hull got put up on the shelf and the habitat ring has resided on my desk for about four months now.

However, Cylon75's (at Starship Modeler and Resin Illuminati) start on his buildup spurred me to revisit my own - mostly 'cause he was asking to see pics of what someone else might have done w/theirs. I'd not gotten too far on my habitat ring, but had at least put some priner on it, glued in some "buildings" and primered it again.

Anyhow, I glued in the aforementioned bits-n-bobs to serve as some sort of structures. I then used Tamiya's acrylic XF-24, Dark Grey for a base surface color, then Model Master enamel SAC Bomber Green, FS34159, to act as "grass". I painted the buildings XF-53, Neutral Grey, but should have gone w/a different color, as they hardly show up now. I painted a "stream" on either side of the outer walls using MM enamel Bright Blue, FS35183. I'm not overly happy w/the results, but dont' exactly hate it, either. Regardless it's too late to do anything about it, so far as I'm concerned....

After the paints dried, I pulled out Woodland Scenics Clump Foliage, used by Railroaders for decades to achieve scale foliage on trees, shrubberys, etc... I have some Medium Green, FC683, and Dark Green, FC684, which I used randomly on the interior. I think it looks tons better w/the foliage in there and they look fairly well like scale trees should, IMNSHO.

Going to be a real pain in the posterior sealing up the ring, tho. Even worse than that? Painting it! Masking the individual windows is right out as I just don't have the sanity it would require to be that patient. So, I'll have to figure something out, which means this is likely stalled for a bit.... :(

Anyhow, here you go. Not meaning to steal Cylon75/Keith's thunder on his build. Instead, I'm doing this as a sort of companion to his build. I think it's kinda kewel bouncing ideas off of each other as we have and I can't wait to see how his looks once finished! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
That's a lovely kit, Jeff! I see what you mean about the blue stream, but once you put the flocking in there for the trees, it does seem to cover it up pretty well. Get that clear piece on and it looks just as good as any studio mini ever did! LOL!

I'll have to give some thought about getting one myself. I don't have any of the ships from the re-imagined show (including the Big G herself); having more interest in the TOS RTF - but it sure would be a nice addition nonetheless.

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Barry! I appreciate it. Yes, it's a great kit, thus far. My only real complaint is that it doesn't come w/decals. There are supposed to be Intersun Lines markings in a couple of areas on the hull, but there's nothin'. :(

I think you should buy one for your RTF. You never know, after all. With 220 ships in the TOS RTF, there might well have been one somewhere way back there!

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
That's the nice thing about the TOS RTF; we really only saw a handful (relatively speaking) of the RTF ships during the original run. The re-imagined series included fun jokes like the TOS Enterprise (and your basic Gamescience/ Task force/ ADB plastic Conny mini is close enough to scale at 1/3788) so it wouldn't be hard to add the Enterprise, the Zephyr or just about any kitbash to the RTF!

Won't be able to do much about it for awhile; probably not in what's left of this year.

Keep those pics coming! LOL!

·
Banned
3,134 Posts
pure pwnage

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for those links. Already got them, as well as a veritable ton of other reference images - a lot of Screencaps that I pulled myself - from Resin Illuminiati in the Battlestar Galactica: The New Series forum there.

If you can't access the forum, just join up at R.I. It's free and relatively painless - just like every other forum out there. They've got them set to where only members can view them, just as several other forums do.

·
Starship Class
11,943 Posts
I admire you sir for just attempting to build this. WOW! :eek:

I had no idea that the ring was so complex/detailed. Should truly be a thing of beauty after you're done with it! Looking great so far! :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks, guys. I appreciate the kind words.

I'm going to shoot for making it as beautiful as I can - in a beatup Rag Tag Fugitive Fleet member sort of way, Lee. I just wish I had the means/know-how to light the ring.

dbhs had suggested over at Resin Illuminati that I make some sort of jig and use that to cut out my masking tape. That would be more feasible for me, as I have plenty fo Tamiya masking tape.

Another suggestion is to go with what Cylon75 is planning - hand-paint the grid detail using a fine brush and the base coat paint sprayed in to a cap. I actually kind of like this suggestion a bit more than even the masking tape as I've usually got a pretty steady hand - and almost no patience for masking tape at this moment.

I'll prolly end up re-painting the main hull, tho, as I don't like the current color. It looks a bit too "tan" a shade of grey for my tastes. I'm thinking that I'll go w/the same color I used on my Fantastic Plastic Defender - Tamiay AS-7, USAAF Neutral Gray.

BTW, one of the fellas at Resin Illuminati had asked for a "Coke can scale gauge" for Cylon75's build. I snapped a couple of pics before I had read thru the forum to see if the request had already been complied with - which it had. However, I sort of hate to "waste" a nice pic, so that's included here. I've also included two pics of my Zephyr w/my TC Galactica.

http://i763.photobucket.com/albums/...lestar Galactica/Ringship Zephyr/Zephyr07.jpg

http://i763.photobucket.com/albums/...lestar Galactica/Ringship Zephyr/Zephyr08.jpg

http://i763.photobucket.com/albums/...lestar Galactica/Ringship Zephyr/Zephyr09.jpg

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
Griff,
are all of the "windows" uniform?
I could crank you out a set of correctly sized rectangles to cover the windows and you could spray on the framework.

·
Oxidation Genius
31,283 Posts
Awesome!
You gonna try to paint those window frames on the ring? I'd be scared to!

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks, fellas. It is indeed one very kewel and awesome model.

Griff,
are all of the "windows" uniform?
I could crank you out a set of correctly sized rectangles to cover the windows and you could spray on the framework.
Oooh, that'd be kewel, Lou! I'll email the dimensions for the window frames to you, as best I can get them. The fact that they're compound curves is what has really scared me, as the one time I've worked on masking a model w/a compound curve it was a real pain and I think I ended up hand-painting the areas. It turned out looking alright, but that was about it.

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
I'll email the dimensions for the window frames to you, as best I can get them. The fact that they're compound curves is what has really scared me, as the one time I've worked on masking a model w/a compound curve it was a real pain and I think I ended up hand-painting the areas.
From looking at the pictures, I don't think the compound curvature is an issue here. The radius of the habitat ring is so large compared to the size of the clear window segments that, for all intents and purposes, each individual segment has a cylindrical (simple) curvature.

That is a beautiful ship. Have you calculated what the size of the thing would be in full scale?

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If you can make a rubbing or tracing of a segment, we can work the shape distortion into the mix
Will do! I'll get on it tonight and do a sample of a segment.

From looking at the pictures, I don't think the compound curvature is an issue here. The radius of the habitat ring is so large compared to the size of the clear window segments that, for all intents and purposes, each individual segment has a cylindrical (simple) curvature.
OK, sounds good to me after thinkin' on it some. I guess I was just sorta caught up in the phobia thing.... :freak:
That is a beautiful ship. Have you calculated what the size of the thing would be in full scale?
According to the info at BattlestarWiki.com, the Zephyr has the following dimensions: Length: 4,000' / 1219.2m Habitat Ring Diameter: 1250' / 381m

Almost as long as Galactica!

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thank ya kindly, Sean! Yes, definitely one of the most recognizable ships in the RTF - and one that can be seen in almost every long-shot of the RTF that they gave us during the run of TNS BSG.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts