Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Oxidation Genius
31,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is the resin kit by Plaatz, of the Japanese anime jet fighter "Yukikaze" from the anime of the same name.

Excellent kit! Nice, sharp detail in a fairly flexible resin. Cast metal landing gear and exhausts. Photoetch landing gear doors and antennae. GREAT decal sheet!

The canopies are clear resin plugs that fit into holes in the fuselage, so there's no cockpit detail. I painted the plug parts black, and painted the canopies themselves with Tamiya "smoke." So they look shiney black from most angles due to the refraction from their black bottoms, but clear tinted from the sides.

I left off the underwing missiles (also cast metal) 'cause, well, they're small and it looked annoying to put all those photoetch fins on them, so the heck with it :).

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
When I saw this thread's title I was going to make some lame joke about this being an anime film. Turns out it is an anime film so instead of the lame joke I'll comment on the kit.
Another spectacular job. John, your talents never cease to amaze me. I've never really gotten into those anime aircraft but now you've shown me a kit I wouldn't mind building.
The construction looks flawless and a terrific paint job. An excellent looking model.
Kudos, John.

·
Oxidation Genius
31,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you, sir. :)
Yeah, I wish REAL jet fighters looked as cool as some of these anime jobs!

·
Registered
903 Posts
In one case (at least) they do. Look at an anime called 'Stratos 4'. Then look at an XF-108 'Rapier'. (Check Concept aircraft at Fantastic Plastic to see one.) Very similar.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Fantastic work as usual John! Having just got the kit in the mail myself a few weeks back you definitely are an inspiration.

One question about the white metal exhausts. I did a trial fit on them to the resin fuselage and they did not seem to match up well with the holes. Were they tricky to get a good fit?
Did you have to take much of the metal off of them?
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

It does look like a fantastic kit and I agree the decal sheet is well done also.

Cheers

Tony

·
Oxidation Genius
31,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The exhausts are "handed," meaning there's definitely a left and a right. The holes for them are different shapes. Just make sure you got the right one in the right side. I just gobbed the superglue in the hole and jammed them in, and they stayed. It would have been better if they'd been resin rather than metal, though. They're awfully heavy.

·
I make movies
2,575 Posts
WOW! That is one incredible buildup Jon! I thought it was the Plaatz buildup until I re-read your post. The weathering and panle lines are superb! I have the two Yukikaze DVDs and think these planes are super badass!

·
Oxidation Genius
31,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Trek Ace said:
I'd like to see that scaled up to an R/C version.
I wonder if it would fly! It's certainly photogenic, but is it aerodynamic?

·
Registered
128 Posts
You can make ANYTHING fly with big enough engines (CHECK!) and the right computers (CHECK!).....:thumbsup:

But what would I know?
I am only an aircraft engineer.....:)

Cheers

Tony

·
Oxidation Genius
31,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think the Phantom II is proof of that! :lol:

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
Nice job John, though, I'm not sure why anyone would use the name 'Yukikazi' for anything.:jest:
In WWII, Yukikazi was a destroyer, and if she was screening for you, it was pretty much a guarantee that you were going to the bottom. She was screening for both Shinao and Yamato when they went down.

·
Oxidation Genius
31,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
btw, excuse the push-pin in the bottom view - I'd already broken off the canards twice!

·
Registered
14 Posts
wow

man that is BEAUTIFUL.........I really love when someone treats an 'anime' as a 'real ' and painst and weathers it accordingly, the level if detail and love that the animators pour into them just pops out that way. looking forward to your next build as always.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Dewberry, if you see Yukikaze you will realise how much realism can be punched into an anime indeed...

The air to air sequences certainly have some style and the canyon chase in the rain is awesome.

John, could you post a picture close up on the exhausts? I am trying to work out how far in they are meant to go. Got the handing right, but they just baffle me about the fit.

cheers

Tony

·
Registered
128 Posts
Thanks John, the exhausts seemed to be stretching the resin (see what you mean now about it being flexible!) but they fit in pretty well. I will ease the fit a bit by some filing where they slide in which should help. They just did not seem to fair in to the engine nacelles as I thought they would, but I was forgetting how "variable geometry"they are supposed to be.

Darkhunter, HLJ still have them listed here, but they are not a cheap kit:

http://www.hlj.com/scripts/hljpage.cgi?PLZX-1

Cheers

Tony

1 - 20 of 28 Posts