Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 151 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope I'm not over stepping a boundary here or posting in the wrong place, I just wanted to see what the over all feeling was towards things like scalping and buying up everything that's worth buying all at once.

I very recently started doing video reviews on cars and slots and everything else and I thought it would be cool to say something at the end of the video each time. So I thought up "Collect and enjoy, leave some for other collectors and always leave some for the kids." I stand by that.

I guess I honestly don't care how much something is worth. Sure it's nice to know that something you bought just for fun and love of the hobby holds some value but really I don't care how much it's gonna go for on eBay in a few months. With that, if I don't like a car, I don't buy it. If I do, I do.

So about a week ago I stopped at TRU and found alot of cool stuff, Mars Rover Curiosity, The Bat, Rodzilla and some new castings. Being that I had NO IDEA the Rover and The Bat are things people seem to be having a hard time getting....I left the other 10 or so of them there. Then I posted here, found out some members were in need and went back to TRU...WIPED OUT!!! Totally.

Months ago I had gone to the same TRU and see these 2 guys in there that were buying what looked like atleast 50 cars...complaining "they don't have anything here" and what's the worst of it--these guys were easily in their 40's or 50's and they left that aisle like a bomb hit it. C'mon man! Thats just BS and makes us ALL look bad!

I dunno, I'm new here so maybe I haven't yet earned the right to b-tch but being that I've been into the hobby a bit more I'm taking notice that people like that are definitely alive and well within our hobby. I paid $13.00 for 3 K.I.T.T.s and gave one away here..now no one put a gun to my head and said I had to spend that much money but it still kinda stinks that I had to pay that much for something just because I don't get up at the crack of dawn and buy everything worth buying.

If there is something positive to be said about scalpers, I'd love to hear it. Until then, it's annoying! Leave SOMETHING for someone else...atleast the kids!

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Heck for the longest time in our area we had both a manager at a Hobby Lobby and Walgreens would get into all the diecast. The walgreens manager would resell at local flea market and/or Swap Meets at ridiculous prices. :confused:
I hope I'm not over stepping a boundary here or posting in the wrong place, I just wanted to see what the over all feeling was towards things like scalping and buying up everything that's worth buying all at once.

I very recently started doing video reviews on cars and slots and everything else and I thought it would be cool to say something at the end of the video each time. So I thought up "Collect and enjoy, leave some for other collectors and always leave some for the kids." I stand by that.

I guess I honestly don't care how much something is worth. Sure it's nice to know that something you bought just for fun and love of the hobby holds some value but really I don't care how much it's gonna go for on eBay in a few months. With that, if I don't like a car, I don't buy it. If I do, I do.

So about a week ago I stopped at TRU and found alot of cool stuff, Mars Rover Curiosity, The Bat, Rodzilla and some new castings. Being that I had NO IDEA the Rover and The Bat are things people seem to be having a hard time getting....I left the other 10 or so of them there. Then I posted here, found out some members were in need and went back to TRU...WIPED OUT!!! Totally.

Months ago I had gone to the same TRU and see these 2 guys in there that were buying what looked like atleast 50 cars...complaining "they don't have anything here" and what's the worst of it--these guys were easily in their 40's or 50's and they left that aisle like a bomb hit it. C'mon man! Thats just BS and makes us ALL look bad!

I dunno, I'm new here so maybe I haven't yet earned the right to b-tch but being that I've been into the hobby a bit more I'm taking notice that people like that are definitely alive and well within our hobby. I paid $13.00 for 3 K.I.T.T.s and gave one away here..now no one put a gun to my head and said I had to spend that much money but it still kinda stinks that I had to pay that much for something just because I don't get up at the crack of dawn and buy everything worth buying.

If there is something positive to be said about scalpers, I'd love to hear it. Until then, it's annoying! Leave SOMETHING for someone else...atleast the kids!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I agree, I hate seeing pictures and videos online where people have 12 or so of the same car. They must be in it just to sell them on e-bay or at flea markets. It sucks the fun out of going to 4 different stores in the same day and finding the same stuff on the shelf. For once I would like to go to a store and find something "different".

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Heck for the longest time in our area we had both a manager at a Hobby Lobby and Walgreens would get into all the diecast. The walgreens manager would resell at local flea market and/or Swap Meets at ridiculous prices. :confused:
Wow man, that really sucks!!

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
I used to get multiples with hopes of trading, but that didn't work out. If I see 2 I will get them and leave the rest. One to open , one to keep on the card. I left 2 Surf Crates the other night.

·
Registered
739 Posts
In this little game we participate in you will always have those that will hoard everything and resell. But you will also have those that collect multiples and spread their wealth among the members on this website. It doesn't bother me either way. I have a great job and make a descent living and always tell myself it's just a $1.00 toy. If you are consistent enough the hard to find vehicles will come your way. I have and always will refuse to pay exuberant prices for something I couldn't find. OK, maybe once. LOL! Hang in there with your hunting. It will eventually payoff!:wave:

·
FnF: Fords n Ferraris
7,829 Posts
The plus to scalpers is your example. I will go to the local monthly diecast show and pay $3.00 for a mainline car I haven't been able to locate. You have to weigh what you are willing to pay vs gas and time.
But really as one of my bosses likes to say:
"it is what it is"
It will never stop so why get worked up over it

·
Registered
143 Posts
Fact of the matter is I cannot stand scalpers. It's hard to find some cars that fit my collection because the Scalpers buy them all up to sell.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I usually grab a bunch of castings I like. I make customs with them or kick my friends down. I've still got a bunch and they're all up for grabs if someone where to be looking to trade for something i've got. What gets me are the people selling cars for ridiculous prices on ebay. I'd love to pick the morris wagon hunt, but not for $40+. The people buying the cars at those prices are only enabling people to sell them for those prices.

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
I remember you posting about that so I almost took a ride there today on my lunch break, just to find the mars rover, but realized it was a little too far. So I went to the Walmart in Manville. (What a mess that store is!) It's funny, I've seen other posts like this but I never ever see anyone else in the toy aisles when I go to TRU or WM. Seems like Im always the only one there. As far as people grabbing all they can, I guess everybodys trying to make a buck.

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
I still can't find a Mystery Machine :( Then again, only one store in my area got P cases and the Walmarts that got the new A cases, they were all gone.

I don't collect for the monetary value of a car. But, I will buy all the the TH I find so that I can trade them for adult collectible cars that are no longer available in stores. So in a sense, I am a hoarder. I do not sell the TH for a profit though.

·
Registered
6,164 Posts
as long as there is people willing to bend over than scalping will always be around.this hobby of ours got ruined by ebay plain and simple.why well ebay made it possiable for people to sell 1$ cars to tards with more money than brains and the ablity not to be able to control themselves and wait.ebay gave the stock people who make minium wage to grab things and either get commision for lowlife dealers for help or run their own ebay store.eabay also created the clueless douche box who here they can make $$$$$$$$ on cheap cars so they go all out in finding things they think are hot and trying to sell 100% about what they paid for it.
11 yrs ago when i got back into collecting trading was great and easy.there were still fleamarket lowlifes but not like now.now it has become harder to trade with people unless you have a good network of guys.bottem line this will never change unless we change.quit buying brand new stuff at high dollar amounts and just wait or put in the investment buy cases or do the OLDs.i would rather give money to online stores that put in their money than to any dirtbag who just cherry picks and lines the wallet of a toy mgt or stock person.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Plain and simple: I will not enable scalpers. I know that the oft-scalped stuff will, for the most part, show up eventually, and if not, I'll wait for the short-term demand to die out or try to trade for what I want.

On leaving stuff behind: I do just that. I have never bought more than three of the same car in one shot, and the two times that I've done so recently, one of each was--or will be--RAOK'ed through this board. I could have bought eight Mars Rovers recently, but I left five for others. Buying a large amount of the same car in one shot is not a cool move.

·
FnF: Fords n Ferraris
7,829 Posts
I don't think EBay is to blame. If it wasn't eBay it could be Craigslist or any other electronic medium. But scalpers have always been around and made good money for their products. Scalping tickets for movies or sporting events has been going on for as long as I can remember. Back when I was younger, people were paying outrageous prices for Cabage Patch Dolls and the newest hand-held electronic game. The name of the game is as always have been: Supply vs demand. So yes renagade44 you are correct; if we all stopped buying these items the scalpers would look somewhere else. But then what about the guys who buy multiples as trade bait. Is that really any different then the scalper? I buy up multiple castings of the Mystery Machine for trades and Joe Blow comes in behind me and finds nothing. For Joe, does it matter if I am trading those cars or selling them for profit? I think not. That's why I don't care what people do.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
I don't think EBay is to blame. If it wasn't eBay it could be Craigslist or any other electronic medium. But scalpers have always been around and made good money for their products.
I've said before and will say again: Treasure Hunts were the best and worst thing to happen to this hobby. Electronic media are not to blame for the scalping; were it not for the Internet, it would still be happening in print media.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
I was at TRU last week and saw what looked like a fairly new shipper. There was at least a dozen, probably more of the BATs. I bought two. I was at Wally World and saw a ton of the new redlines. I bought ONE, and opened it up and put it in my private collection. I like it how everyone like to blame "scalpers" for their bad luck, and how all resellers are considered EVIL by some people. The collecting world is not so black and white...

Resellers help keep the hobby alive. There are new collectors that where not buying Hot Wheels 5 years ago and are happy to have a place to go and find the cars they missed. There are collectors that don't want to spend the gas money and time to find the new cars they want. Then there are collectors who seek information about toy cars and find it nice to have a local place to get helpful advice. Other people like the fact they can buy a loose car for $.50 from me for their kids instead of paying $1 each for brand new ones at Wal-Mart that the kid is just going to rip out of the package anyways.

I am a dealer. If you don't like that, too bad. If you think I should go to hell, I say "See you there". Everyone is entitled to their opinions.

And about the whole "Leave if for a kid" thing... It makes me sad when I hear about kids wanting the "green stripe" cars. I remember just being happy to pick out whatever car I wanted from the rack. The fact that Scooby Doo van is not there shouldn't be a big deal either. There are plenty of other cars on the rack to choose from. Some of my favorite castings from my childhood are only coveted by collectors because they had the same childhood.

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
I personally can care less if someone wants to scalp.... If I had to drive to Walmart or Target everyday to go look, I would put 70 miles on my car and waste my time & gas and come back home empty handed. I do not mind letting someone else do all my leg work to put the time & gas + milage on their Car than mine. $5 shipping is better than putting $60 in my tank to go drive around and come back home empty handed.

I find 95% of all my great finds on eBay, so let the scalpers do all my dirty work for a measly $5 profit. The way I see it is time is money and money is time so it doesn't bug me. I went out tonight to get out of the house and came back home empty handed... Oh well, no big deal :p

·
Registered
14,324 Posts
Claiming multiples of anything besides commonly available items is bad form. With the sole exception being that each multiple is intended as a gift or purchase for someone else...

Claiming multiples - especially more limited release items, of which there is no personal interest beyond profit - either monetary or through trade, is jerk behavior...

Don't be a jerk. Clean up after yourself, and be a sport!

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
I've been sort of aggravated in the last year or so by not being able to find some cars I'd like to add to my collection. So, I took it upon myself to do a little "research" and educate myself about the local die cast mafia. Here's just some of what I have found:

*I am familiar with the local flea market vendors
*There are 5 Flea Market Vendors in the local markets here
(1 with a majority concentration in 1/18 scale, 3 mainly with Hotwheels, and 1 with pretty good spread of everything from JL, HW, M2 & Matchbox)
*Only 2 Flea Market Vendors have attended the local KMart Day for Hotwheels during the last 3 events...that I am aware of, unless they have some good undercover folks that don't usually hang out at the flea market
*I am now familiar with the Walmart stock schedule
*The stock person for toys in Walmart is the daughter of one of the local flea market vendors
*A large percentage of the ebay seller's in my zip code are obviously collectors and not vendors as they don't have a multitude of product for sale at any given time
*I have become familiar with the local die cast club members and other area collectors

I'm not saying all these points are 100% spot on, but it has helped me in my collection and my collecting habits and to understand how the hobby works these days. Like anything else, if you're gonna be good at something, you have to do your homework. My local area is one of the busiest tourist destinations in the US with about 12 million visitors a year here, so the diecast market is visited by alot of consumers who could possibly be scalpers from all over the country...or just regular collectors like you & me.

Mainly, collect what you like and LIKE what you collect and you'll enjoy the hobby alot more!! The greatest pieces in your collection will most likely NOT be Chases, but those that you can relate to in another sense.....:wave:

·
Registered
92 Posts
"The greatest pieces in your collection will most likely NOT be Chases, but those that you can relate to in another sense....."

Well said Wawaallen!:thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 151 Posts