Hobbyist Forums banner
  • If you've ever been interested in the history of Zee Toys or Maisto over the course of the 80s, 90s and into the modern day, you should come over to the Hobbytalk Ask Me Anything with Chepp going live on Tuesday, September 21st and running until Thursday, September 23rd. Don't miss out! You can ask your questions here!
21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Lifetime Quacka
1,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Thanks for your perspective , Mark. I think a lot of your work that you have posted therefore I value your opinion greatly and I appreciate all of the time you took to share your thoughts.

Lighting is a real BIG deal. I am working in a room with 7 lamps and NO overhead lighting. I do have one of my small adjustable desk lamps which I use that is only about a foot away from my work. It is not the best but it will do for now.

Looking at other people's work up close and personal is something that I have not had many opportunities to do. I will have to try and catch the next East Coast get together so I can see some top notch stuff in person and talk to the people face to face. As much as I want to make WF this year, I am saving for a wedding in September (yeah, it's mine). Not too sure if I am going to make that or not.

I used to paint on canvas quite a bit when I was younger. Being critiqued is one of the best learning tools one can have. I understand what you mean about balancing the critical eye with the I-can-live-with-this-so-I-am-moving-on eye. It is the difference between FINISHING something and having something linger on forever. So far I don't have much time on this.

Thanks again for your modeling input!

·
Premium Member
Models - Horror Figures and Science Fiction
6,044 Posts
You're very welcome, D.F. As an artist yourself, you probably know the importance of keeping your work in perspective, and not getting to where you "can't see the forest for the trees." I'm working on that myself, but I still have a problem with wanting to tweak a model ad infinitum.

Here's an easy way to learn about model shows in your area: go to the IPMS/USA web site: http://www.ipmsusa.org/. Click on the "Upcoming Events" button; that will take you to a listing of IPMS shows all over the country, arranged in chronological order. For example, I saw that there is a show in Freeport, NY this weekend. I don't know how far "Skank Pond, USA" is from Long Island, but...

I never tire of urging board members to enter these contests. First, we need to get more of a presence of Our Kind of Models in the shows. Second, the vendors rooms always have all kinds great bargains on kits, supplies, and so on. Third, but not least, these shows are where you go to see the work of - and talk with - other modelers. There's no substitute for that.

Good luck and keep building!

Mark McG.

·
Lifetime Quacka
1,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 · (Edited)
Thanks a lot for the link, Mark. There are more shows close to Skank Pond USA than I thought! I am in Hagerstown, Maryland and I see about 5 or 6 that are in easy driving distance of me. I am going to take your advice and start hitting some of these shows and try to enter some contests. Thanks again for sharing your info and for all of your encouragement!

·
Premium Member
6,044 Posts
Here's a little more: I went to your album and looked at some of your models. They look like contenders to me. Take 'em in to some of these shows and see what happens - the IPMS definitely needs to have more models like yours turn up in their contests!

Mark McG.

·
Lifetime Quacka
1,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Here's a little more: I went to your album and looked at some of your models. They look like contenders to me. Take 'em in to some of these shows and see what happens - the IPMS definitely needs to have more models like yours turn up in their contests!

Mark McG.
Thanks again Mark. I have not really thought of any of those builds as being contest worthy however winning isn't everything. Just taking the kits there and meeting others that are into the same thing would be worth my while. I have not given contests a second thought to be real honest with you. You make it sound not-so-scary! I will have to schedule a couple of those close-by IPMS shows that are coming up. I just found the Black Swamp Modelers from one of your other threads. I gotcha bookmarked!:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
6,044 Posts
Great! Now if you can just get out to Cleveland (and the Region 4 show next month) for a shot at the coveted Black Swamp Modelers trophy, you might win it and then become a member of the SIG. Easier still, become a member of the IPMS and automatically be eligible to hook up with us. Most IPMS chapters are happy to have any interested parties sit in on a meeting. You could look the nearest chapter to you on the IPMS/USA web site and check them out.

Mark McGee, have I made it clear that I'm a big fan of the IPMS yet?

·
Premium Member
5,433 Posts
IPMS is great!! I was a member of the Sydney, Australia chapter for 6 years until I moved interstate. I don't know what it's like in the US, but at our club, we had a themed comp and buy&sell every month, and a massive annual kit auction. There was so much to see and so much to learn! Do yourself a favour DF and try to attend one meeting. you'll be hooked!! Also, good luck in comp!:thumbsup:

Chris.:)

·
Lifetime Quacka
1,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
WOW...so IPMS even made it all the way to Sydney? Thanks again guys. I am looking into it.

·
Lifetime Quacka
1,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Remember, the "I" stands for "International", Ducks.

·
Lifetime Quacka
1,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
ahhh...the light woodgrain looks good too. I like it! Did you finish this kit, Madcap? Do you have any pictures posted?

·
Premium Member
5,433 Posts
Why a PM? He should et everyone here know how it's done!:p:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
5,433 Posts
Mark- if he tried to send you an am, I don't think it'd show up ...:p

·
Lifetime Quacka
1,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Why a PM? He should et everyone here know how it's done!:p:thumbsup:

Ironically, those PM's are usually sent in the AM!

just to elaborate a little bit for you, Auroranut.....

I am a fan of enamel paints when it comes to kits. I use testors, model master and Floquil Railroad paints. The Floquil paint is a Petrol based paint if I recall. It is extremely thin and has a consitency of water. with all of the in mind.....

1. I started out with a testors flat black primer. Spray the whole thing.

2. Next I used the Floquil "roof brown" to drybrush the next layer, fairly evenly. It is the darkest brown that I used. With the paint being so thin , there was a lot of black bleeding through. so far so good!

3. Next I drybrushed some of the model master "military brown" UNEVENLY across the boards. I made sure to apply the paint at random so each board was a little different.

4. Follow that up with the last layer of model master "wood" which was drybrushed as well. At ranom just like the preceding layer. Don't make any 2 boards look alike.

Hope this helps if you're looking to do some woodgrain. I sent you an e-mail, Wolfman. Dunno if you received it?

·
Premium Member
5,433 Posts
Thanks DF. It's always good to learn how other modellers achieve their finishes. I'll see if I can post pics of my Blackbeard base over the weekend. My niece is borrowing her boyfriends SLR camera so maybe the pics will show some detail.:thumbsup:

21 - 40 of 47 Posts