Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All 1:1 cars usually have some clever or unique feature, be it a small, rather insignificant one to a prominent, important and totally unique one. Diecast makers can sometimes gloat over which is the coolest feature they incorporate into a particular model; for collectors, that ballyhooed feature is often debatable, such as an opening gas cap, a rotating drive shaft, moveable sun visors.

I prefer in a model the one outstanding, overwhelmingly important and uniquely prominent feature that is present on the real 1:1 car that the modelmakers do up realistically and practically.

From my collection, this is best represented by an older 2001 release from Sun Star- the 1:18 scale red and white 1957 Ford Fairlane Skyliner. The 1:1 car featured one of the first, if not the first, fully retractable hardtops!!! The hardtop retracted into the trunk! Sun Star did a superb job in duplicating this complex feature with a system that operates smoothly and rather effortlessly.

From your collection of diecasts in any scale, what is the one model that you favor the most that has the coolest functioning feature?

·
Registered
19,875 Posts
Wow, great model!
The 1:1s actually had a TALLER rear qtr. panel than the other models in order to swallow that bulky top.
The '60s Lincoln 4dr. rag tops used many of the same exact parts as the '57-'59 retracables.
My favorite feature is just plain old correct proportions. :)

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
My number one favorite thing is an opening hood with an insanely detailed engine, but my number 2 favorite is the working roof on the Franklin Mint '57 Fairlane that I got my Dad for Christmas... perfect match to the real one he used to have.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
The real-life retracting hard top must've been a very popular option because it seems that many '57-'59 Fords I see at shows have this feature.

·
Registered
409 Posts
There isn't just 1 its a combination of all the details in scale and proportion, tires & wheels have to be in proportion to the car as do the roof lines, fenders, ETC!!!!!!!!!! KEEPING IT IN SCALE IS THE MOST IMPORTANT THING!!!!!!

·
Registered
19,875 Posts
The real-life retracting hard top must've been a very popular option because it seems that many '57-'59 Fords I see at shows have this feature.
I don't think it was such a hot seller. In fact I bet Sunliners (ragtop cnvt.) outsold them.
Just looked it up in my books (remember them?)
'57 21000
'58 sharp decrease to 14000
'59 down to 12000...these are not high numbers for US cars.
The cost $350 more than the standard Sunliner cnvt. with was an assload of money back then!!!
Anyone know Sunliner production figures???

1 - 9 of 9 Posts