Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just counted up all of my slots to see how many I had, since Ive seen some wild numbers thrown around on here. I counted up how many I had of each manufacturer then got a grand total. I only counted those cars that were in my collection complete and running, as opposed to my box of chassis, my box of bodies, or my many project boxes that have cars in parts waiting for work of some kind. I also didnt count the stuff I have one eBay right now. I have one category called 'custom' and that's for resin bodies, or plastic bodies converted over to slot cars. I dont have too many halfbreeds like JL bodies on tomy or afx chassis, but the few that I do have were counted by the chassis. What do you guys come up with? Here's mine:

Aurora/AFX/Tomy--66

Jonny Lightning/Auto World--35

Tyco/Mattel--142

Amrac/Rokar/Lifelike--27

Matchbox--8

Marchon--8

Majorette/Ideal/Ideal TCR--109

Custom--57

Riggen--1

Total--453

·
Registered
618 Posts
Thanks to my wonderful Filemaker database (which I'm always upgrading and fine tuning - a demo is downloadable on my website), I can give you this info:

Aurora AFX: 123
Aurora T-Jets: 26
Tomy: 50
Tyco: 170
Mattel: 31
Life-Like: 34
Johnny Lightning Tjets: 34
Johnny Lightning AFX: 22
Scalextric: 17
Rotafast: 14
Galoob: 13
Faller: 8
Artin: 12
Marchon: 9
Amrac: 5
Rokar: 7
Model Motoring: 6
Dash Motorsports: 5
Majorette: 5
Ideal: 4
Atlas: 4
Bachmann: 3
GIochi Preziosi: 2
MEV: 2
Lili Leddy: 2
Bauer:1
Carrera: 1
Polistil: 1
Mimic Motorways: 1

And some customs and die-cast conversion too

The total of all my slotcars is 625

·
Registered
195 Posts
I have been collecting for about 20 years. approx 70% are 9's the rest are 7 & 8's, I dont collect buy the color of plastic, but I do collect buy paint color, decals, numbers or things more noticable to the naked eye. I also model and have made molds and casted resin bodies, and I also race on a novice level.
Happy collecting modeling and racing

AFX 288
Aurora 201
LL, Galoob, Amrac, Rokar, Darda, Cox 283
Rotafast 27
Matchbox 56
Atlas 4
Bauchman 1
Eldon 1
Marx 4
Artin 22
Lionel 3
Unknown 3
Tomy 175
Tyco 894
Model Motoring 80
JL, AW, TJ 243
JL, AW, XT 209
Ideal, TCR, Majorette, Tracklock 176
Marchon, MR-1, Micro Scalextric 123
Dash 93
Total 2886

·
Premium Member
3,424 Posts
hey docsho..,can you post pics of yur "unknown" cars? pplease show the chassis if you do.. I would love to see it

Zan-man... you have a nice diverse collection. I have all those makers too. One of these days I'll do a break down. My collection totals over 1200 cars.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Hey Docsho, I'll second VideoJimmy: we want to see those unknown cars !

VJ: Thanks, I try my best to diversify...need some Lionel and Eldon cars to have at least some (and also a Spada Alpine if I can afford, 2 Roadchamps, a pair of Micrex, and..... oh my God I'm a compulsive collector :) )

·
Premium Member
3,424 Posts
I have the micrex, you'll like them but you'll have to modify them to run on HO track.
I LOVE the Lionels, they were WAY faster than T-jets and they had some nice body styles. I wonder why they didn't catch on? I have 8 of them and about 10 Eldons.

I saw some Road Champs on ebay a few months ago but I didn't go after them for some reason, maybe it was because of the XMas spending I was doing at the time. I can't remember. They're slotless though

I like to collect things in pairs, if not more.. this way I can have direct head to head races and keep things mostly even.

I think my favorite, old non aurora, no tyco brand is faller. Their T-jets were very nice and also much faster than aurora's t-jets

My fav newer brand is Micro Scalextric. I love those chassis, but their bodies could use some work.

·
Duke Dave of Sealand
2,879 Posts
mking said:
If I posted my totals and my wife saw it......

she would be buying more shoes!
I have to agree with Mike.. I own...

6 Xtracs worth about a buck eighty-five...the other I am just hmm tuning for friends...

Coach

·
Registered
618 Posts
LOL, I don't care, wifey doesn't read english

VJ: I agree Faller cars are way faster than T-Jets and nice cars too.
Micro Scalex are bit bigger than the others but I simply like 'em too
Good info abou the Lionel, I'll try to follow and hunt some....the only one I have is a butt ugly PowerPasser BMW 3.0 CSL :drunk:
Saw the Road-Champs too, but too highly priced for cars that need to be modified to run on HO slot tracks.
And for the Micrex, I'll wait until some decent priced one appear on the Bay

·
Premium Member
3,424 Posts
Zanman.... try to find to find the lionels from the 60's. they're simular to the Atlas canned motor cars, only the motor was a little bigger and they ran much faster.

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
videojimmy said:
Zanman.... try to find to find the lionels from the 60's. they're simular to the Atlas canned motor cars, only the motor was a little bigger and they ran much faster.
I actually have a couple of Atlas cars that I got with the motors toasted... apparently the 5-pole armatures burned up easily. I installed Lionel motors that I bought on the 'Bay and they're pretty quick. Don't handle for squat, though, even with lead weight in the rear. They brake better than Tjets, so you can make up for the handling a little with that...

--rick

·
Premium Member
3,424 Posts
Micrex is a TOMY brand, about half the size of HO cars, bigger than Micro Machines, they have inline motors that run on 12 volts.

·
Registered
4,010 Posts
Why have I never heard of this slot car?

I saw the pic of the top-side, eh. Anyone have a pic of the bottom?

It looks cool to me! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
91 Posts
joez870 said:
Why have I never heard of this slot car?
Cause you did not ask! Kidding aside, how many producer of "HO" scale slotcars do you know. Talking of HO means everything the size of the new Tycos/AW's and smaller. I would not try to rely on my memory to make a guess, but a check of my data on the PC would bring up a vast amount.....

Michael

·
Model Murdering
7,331 Posts
I just started collecting again about 16 months ago. I was weened on Aurora's offerings and later a few Tyco's

I began by replicating my long lost favs. I dont really have the collector virus. I've become more of a builder/customizer these days. For me the disease is sifting diamonds from the rough and restorations. It's a rare occasion when I cough up and buy a shiney one in the box.

Most of my culls are quickly sectioned for parts, diced up for sprayable styrene. I'm more of a slot recycler these days and stuff gets processed quickly. Most all of my cars are a by product of this process.

A quick tally:

90 T-jet including a dozen full blown customs
12 AFX & Magna
2 G-Plus
4 Tomy
5 Vibes
3 Xtrac
2 Tycopro
1 Amrac
1 Faller
2 Fray racers

All of my aurora cars have hand picked arms, matched magnets, lapped gears
tuned springs/shoes, and trued wheels and tires. Every chassis is sorted out before the body is restored. Many have vintage speed parts that have been sifted from junk lots. In the ready are 30 tuned T-jet chassis, and a dozen or so AFX chassis waiting for suitable bods to come along. I've amassed a parts inventory that would make an Aurora dealer blush. It could easily could re-shoe, re-brush, re-gear, re-wheel all my cars and then some! My tire pile is of Good Year proportions.

At roughly .25 cars per day, it looks like I'm on pace to become a certified slot junkie. Just exactly what is the determining factor? Is it determined by a head count or a monetary crossroad. My TM thinks I'm there already. :rolleyes:

Bill

1 - 20 of 21 Posts