Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Friends, Romans and Modelers.. Lend me your wires!

Don't toss that cheap liitle CD player just yet! This is way cool and can work for many nifty projects......like for the door on my 1/12th EVA pod.

Tonight I had to replace my portable cd player I use on my hobby desk and before I tossed the old one I figured that I would scrounge for all the goodies I could...(small screws and other tid bits)....well ....I saw the motor that turns the disc and then the small motor that drives the worm gear that the tracking 'laser' rides on.....I got to thinking it must be less than 4.5V so I put a single 1.5V AAA to it and it moved perfectly! I just had to reverse the polarity to move it the opposite direction. It even comes with a super mini micro switch! Playing with the voltage might control the speed?

You can pick these things up at thrift shops for almost nothing.

I had to post this....Hope it gets your cogs and sprockets turning!

·
Premium Member
3,930 Posts
Veeeeery interesting.
I've also seen not long ago an item ( on this BB ? ) about the teeny weeny motors in cell phones. Being 'electrically challenged' I leave the mechanics to others, but has potential.

·
Registered
8,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
You can do it dude! Its only 1.5 volts :tongue:

·
Premium Member
3,930 Posts
OH, I ain't worried about the voltage, I change my lights, switches, & such while they're hot. I just don't grasp the technical wiring, resistance, etc. Members have sent me schematics, etc., I just can't keep volts, watts, amps, ohms, impedence, etc. all straight. I do know one goes in, one comes out, DON'T touch em both at once. But why burn out a good motor or lights.

·
Registered
8,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It can get a bit crazy but the most important thing is proper resistance for the LED your using.

My favorite formula is at 6V all you need for MOST LED's is a 200k resistor for each led. 6v gives you plenty of juice for most projects and AA batteries have plenty of punch to run just LED's pretty much all day...like at contests and shows.

I hate relying on A.C power/step down transformers....not all shows are set up for it and if they are your sometimes stuck over in some corner and out of catagory.

·
Registered
10 Posts
That's brilliant! About what size is this motor and track? I'm building the EVA pod just now too. I am going to make a proper track for my door and I think now I may have to motorize it!! --Jim

·
Registered
443 Posts
Good idea fluke. Ive had a few of these motors in my hands through the years, and always knew they were worth their weight in gold for model detailing. Just what do you plan to motorize on the pod with this?

Josh

·
Registered
8,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Sal,

The whole thing is 3-1/2 inches long and 2-3/4 wide. IF a person were to use just the worm gear portion it would be just a tad under 3" long and 1 3/16 wide.

Sal....How long did it take you to get your Pod from Scott? Now I need to get the film on DVD fer sure.

Compy....The door on the 1/12 EVA Pod is made to open and close....some folk have motorized thiers.

How ever I do it.... will most likely be under the base as I do not believe there is enough space in the kit to do it....Sal? I plan on custom building just enough the POD bay floor and rail to disply my Pod.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Fluke, It took about 2 months (ordered in October, delivered in late December). I think I got the last one he had at the time and he was waiting on a few missing bits to come in (decals I think) before he shipped it out. I guess I was lucky. :)

How to install this motor and gear is not clear to me either. I think it may fit into an earmuff and maybe a flexible strip could push and pull the door opened and closed rather than the long gear rod having to come in direct contact with the door. I think you're right in that it may have to be installed under the floor somehow. Scott's floor is quite low and could be raised up near the door to make it look more like in the film and hide the motor.

Anyway, this is a ways off. Right now I'm filling some bubbles I found on the inside walls. Boooorrrrring! Can't wait to get to the electronics! -Jim

·
Registered
8,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Have you seen Paul Bodensiek's POD PAGE....its full of interesting info not to mention his killer 'COMPLETE' decal sheet and improved pod interior INLAYS!
I have both....funny thats the first time that I have recieved the aftermarket stuff before I have the kit :rolleyes:

Here is the link: http://pod.paragrafix.com/ and a pic of the POD Inlays that are much more involved than the set Scott provides. His site also has pdf files that you can download for the templates to build the more 'studio' version of the Pod interior.

I can't wait to dig into this one!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Fluke,

LOL. I just emailed you about Paul before I read this post :D Yep, I got both the screen overlays and the decals too. I still don't know if I'm going to build the working group interior. Right now I think not, but I might change my mind again. I love Paul's ceiling but I think I'm going to do it ala Square Models http://squaremodels.netfirms.com/images/podcon4.jpg

--Jim

·
Registered
8,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Jim,

Is that your build over at Square Models? They have some interesting stuff at that site.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Nope that's not mine but I like the thinking behind the front wall. I believe it's the guy pictured with Capt Sulu. I was going to do a full ceiling like Paul's but then I started to think about what would be visible from the door or the window in low light levels with the lights turned on and I decided that most of the ceiling would be very VERY hard to see. If I was building a 1/6 pod like Scott's underwriter's version then heck, I'd go all the way and build it up to the max. But having said all that, I have a tendency to change my mind where things like this are concerned. --Jim

·
Registered
8,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just keep taking your meds Jim :p ....it all will work out in the end...we hope.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts