Starship Class
11,820 Posts
Is that going to be your next model kit? :confused:

(Icarus, not the trailer :freak: )

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Hi Guys,

Those are VERY COOL pictures!! Is there any way that I could get larger scanned copies of them for posting on my web site (mentioned above)? I have an aerial shot of the studio that shows the mockup in that location too (but not as clear as these photos!) and also shows the Jupiter II full scale mockup on its landing gear with the Pod next to it. These will be added to my site too.

Phil

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
BTW,

The Apes Ship mockup no longer exists. It was moved to a small town where it was placed on the roof of a restaurant as an "attention-getter". According to the locals, this building burned down a few years ago and the ship was destroyed along with it. :(

I'm still trying to track down photos of it in that location and will post them on my site if I find some.

Phil

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Aerial views:

I got my shots as screen caps from the "Roddy McDowell Home Movies" section of the latest PotA DVD release. He shoots a POV shot as he climbs on to a helicopter which then takes off and flys over the studio. Look close and you will see the various ships down below! It is cool.

Phil

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
These photos are part of a bunch I stumbled upon recently. They were all shot during two summer visits to Fox, a year apart, when the studio had a tour (they called it 'Open House'. I'm going to have the negs transferred to CD in as high a res at it makes sense. I was shoot ing Tri-X and the grain is going to be a factor...

This is not going to be a kit. But I won't say 'not ever'.

The story I heard about the demise of the ship is much different than becoming a roof decoration. I was told the ship was scuttled off Point Dume after they finished filming the beach scene in whichever movie brought the apes to the present time. The studio was done with the thing, it was falling apart and they didn't want to have to truck it back to storage, so they 'oops'd it and told the Coast Guard the thing sprang a leak and sank. This story was related to me by someone I have no reason to disbelieve and was later mentioned in passing by a diving acquaintence who said he'd heard something similar related by another diver who had found what was left while diving for lobster in the area.

Scott
[email protected]

·
Registered
4,235 Posts
In the link above he shows photos from '73 with the dents from the rocks in the water, Captain. Maybe the divers had doobies in their snorkels.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, that just goes to show how things go. I should have checked out the link to that site before I made my post. But, then again, its still a good story! Not true, but good- FISH -story!

Scott

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Yeah,

I saw the ship at Fox after they finished filming "Escape" (the film were it was out in the ocean). They kept it at the studio because there was talk of doing a TV series eventually, which of course they did do. (That is my story on the web site referenced above)

Would you let me post those photos on my web site when you get them scanned? They would be appropriately credited to you of course. I wanted to go to those open houses at Fox so badly but my parents said "no". One of the tours was going to feature the sets from "Fantastic Voyage", did you see those as well?

Phil

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
X15-A2 said:
BTW,

The Apes Ship mockup no longer exists. It was moved to a small town where it was placed on the roof of a restaurant as an "attention-getter". According to the locals, this building burned down a few years ago and the ship was destroyed along with it. :(

I'm still trying to track down photos of it in that location and will post them on my site if I find some.

Phil
Where was this restaurant? Any thoughts about contacting the general contractor who hauled away the remains?

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Phil-

Didn't see the FV sets, but we did see the LIS sets and all of the POTA interiors. The second visit, the following summer, we saw some stuff from Land Of The Giants. One thing of interest is the interior of the Spindrift was built using parts of the J2 set. The cockpit used parts from the Flying Sub set. We also saw a lot of Batman stuff and POTA wagons.

Scott

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
I doubt that there was any trace of the Apes Ship left after the fire. Eventhough it was made of sheet metal, a 5,000 deg structure fire would have vaporized it. I will try to find out if anything was left but I wouldn't expect much. But you never know.

Scott: Did you see the interior of the PotA spaceship too or only the building interior sets? And did you take pictures of these sets?

Phil

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
We saw the ship interior, though it was on a large, hydraulic rocking gizmo so we couldn't see into it very well. We did see most of the other interiors. No photos, though-- not enough light.

Scott

·
Cautiously Optimistic
5,017 Posts
Those are fantastic shots; thanks for posting them.

On a related note, does anyone know if any miniature FX footage was produced for POTA depicting the ship's lift-off? Obviously none made it into the finished film, but early drafts of the screenplay call for an opening credits launch sequence, which would account for some very curious proof sheets I stumbled across on ebay...

1 - 20 of 32 Posts