Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
13,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple of weeks ago, while posting my gold 1970 Chevelle wagon on "The Fantasmagorical Hot Wheels Thread", I commented that I had once owned a REAL 1970 Chevelle wagon, but mine was blue. I knew that Hot Wheels had made that casting in blue but hadn't been able to find one. My good friend Full Flaps sent me a P.M. offering to send me one from his personal collection! I asked him what he wanted for it and he replied "Your address". Is that a great guy or what?

Flash forward to Saturday afternoon. My wife and I are heading out the door to go visit my elderly parents at their retirement community 40 miles from here. I stopped to bring in the mail and found a small package with a Key West return address. Well, I knew right away what that was. I told my wife I'd be down to the car in a minute and went back in the house to eagerly open up my new Chevelle wagon... Well, as they say in those late-night infomercials: "But wait! There's more!" Packed in with the wagon is a black '69 Corvette too! Flaps knows my liking for performance Chevys and reasonably realistic castings and apparently thought I'd like that one too. Well, the man was right! So here it is about 10 hours later and I'm still smiling, not only about getting the replica of my old car and the surprise bonus of another cool Chevy, but also the kindness of a friend that I've never actually met face to face. Times have been kinda tough for us recently with the upheaval at the Post Office and not knowing whether or not I'm going to have a job a couple of years from now, and little things like this do a lot to brighten both my day and my outlook on life in general.

Thank you so much, my friend! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,561 Posts
Mr FullFlaps is a bit like that and quite a few others on these boards too. It's a great place, this Hobbytalk. Same here, I might never meet one of you guys in person, but such is life. As we speak, three parcels from New Zealand are entering the USA for that very reason. A few people here seem to believe in paying it forward, giving RAOKs and leaving trolls at the door. :thumbsup: Good stuff. When I get home later, I'm going to have to check my blue Chevelle wagon to see if it has tinted blue windows too. I'm not sure it did.

·
Premium Member
9,246 Posts
That Was Nice of You Full Flaps Congrats.:wave::thumbsup:

·
Registered
14,324 Posts
I'm so glad that the Chevys made it to you Jim, and that they lifted your spirits even more than I would have thought. Great news!... :) The boyish hobby we all share of little cars and brotherhood - sometimes sisterhood, it's good stuff.

The Corvette is a Mystery car from 2008, so I was hoping you didn't have that one yet. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
13,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
... The Corvette is a Mystery car from 2008, so I was hoping you didn't have that one yet. :thumbsup:
And my first Mystery car at that! I've never felt too comfortable with the "Pig In A Poke" aspect of the Mystery cars - I'd rather see what it is that I'm buying... even if it IS only a buck! :eek:

I've long been a believer in "Random Acts Of Kindness" and "Paying It Forward". It's good to know these practices are alive and well on HobbyTalk! Wile I haven't done it yet on the diecast threads, I have sent guys on the car model thread (and another model car website that I'm on too)parts that they needed for special projects withg the request that they "Pay It Forward".

·
Registered
14,324 Posts
And my first Mystery car at that! I've never felt too comfortable with the "Pig In A Poke" aspect of the Mystery cars - I'd rather see what it is that I'm buying... even if it IS only a buck! :eek:
I know what you mean. Back in '08 when I was a little more freewheeling with the mainlines, I think I ended up with about 4-5 Mystery Novas of the same color, among others :lol:. Mattel later put a little peep hole on the back of the cards so you could at least get a clue if it was something you already had.

·
Registered
13,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I know what you mean. Back in '08 when I was a little more freewheeling with the mainlines, I think I ended up with about 4-5 Mystery Novas of the same color, among others :lol:. Mattel later put a little peep hole on the back of the cards so you could at least get a clue if it was something you already had.
Maybe I'll start being a little more adventurous. Now that they have those things in plastic bags, I can feel the car so see if feels like something I'd be interested in. I'm NOT into these strange-looking things like that Dragon that has been popping up on this thread recently! If the casting is based (even relatively loosely) on an actual production car, I'd be willing to maybe take a stab at it. You mentioned "Mystery Nova"... That's the type of thing I'd like to find. After all, I'm definitely a Chevy guy! Maybe I'll come across a "Mystery Impala", a "Mystery Camaro", a "Mystery Chevelle", a "Mystery El Camino", or best of all, a "Mystery Corvair (a Vairy-8 "VAIRiation)"! :D

·
Registered
186 Posts
Wow Jim, apparently our tastes in Hot Wheels run parallel. I was able to find the performance /realistic Chevys in the mystery cars this year. I really dig the Silver COPO Camaro and the gold El Camino. I just started collecting them about 2 months ago but have a nice start, mostly this years GM cars, in non-gaudy tampos. Being new here, it makes me happy to see an internet forum where guys don't spend all of thier time tearing each other down. Mr FullFlaps.......here is an internet beer for you ........ [''']D

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
The bags are stamped on the front and the last numbers of the code are the numbers of the mystery car inside. I've been able to get exactly the ones I wanted by using that information.

And where's MY beer??:lol:

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
Mystery cars have the pictures on the backside to show you the car and its color. #er is on the frontside side to help you know which Car is inside the package.

·
Registered
14,324 Posts
I'm NOT into these strange-looking things like that Dragon that has been popping up on this thread recently!
That one, yeah it's a little far out. :freak:

I noticed in years past, that many of the Mystery cars seemed to be really strange fantasy castings. It doesn't seem to be that way as much now. Though I haven't seen them in my area since they began packing them in foil.

Mr FullFlaps.......here is an internet beer for you ........ [''']D
Thank you Sir!... I hope you'll find HT to be an enjoyable and supportive place for us collectors. :wave:

·
Registered
13,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The bags are stamped on the front and the last numbers of the code are the numbers of the mystery car inside. I've been able to get exactly the ones I wanted by using that information.

And where's MY beer??:lol:
Thanks for the inside info, Duncan. Here's that beer for you, from me!
(insert :beer: emoticon here)

Mystery cars have the pictures on the backside to show you the car and its color. #er is on the frontside side to help you know which Car is inside the package.
And the same for you! ( :beer: )

1 - 18 of 18 Posts