Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any one know when this model was current?

Issue date?

Date withdrawn?

Note this is G66 not G72. The latter was issued in 1977.

Diapet would not have two Countach’s out at the same time. Plus G66 is IMHO a MUCH better model.

BTW G66 is recorded as 1:43rd scale not the usual Diapet 1:40th scale.

Thanks in anticipation.

Chris

·
FnF: Fords n Ferraris
7,829 Posts
Wow. Not even a clue Chris. It would seem weird to have two of the same car in production at a slightly different scale. I think I saw a G66 version before. Did it come in yellow?
One question though, I am pretty sure the 500S came out in the early 80's. Was the G66 a 400S or 500S?

Good luck Chris.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Wow. Not even a clue Chris. It would seem weird to have two of the same car in production at a slightly different scale. I think I saw a G66 version before. Did it come in yellow?
One question though, I am pretty sure the 500S came out in the early 80's. Was the G66 a 400S or 500S?

Good luck Chris.
Hi Atencio

Thanks for your reply. :thumbsup:

G66 did came out in yellow (confirmed from a reliable source) but I have a red one. I am pretty sure this came out after 1982. The reason being 1982 was the date the real LP500S production version was released.

Diapet G72, an LP500S, was issued in 1977 but I don’t know when it was withdrawn. This model is based on one of Walter Wolf’s specials from 1975 which was an LP400 but featured flared wheel arches, which were features of the forthcoming LP400S, and came with Lamborghini’s 4.7L engine (Lamborghini rounded this up to 5L - forthcoming on the LP500S production version in 1982) instead of the standard 4L engine. So this model isn’t the production LP500S but a replica of Wolf’s LP400 with extras!

Other LP500S’s around 1:43rd scale were released in the late 1970’s by Bandai in their Bandai Exact Collection, Marushin, King Star (Korean made based on the Marushin casting) and Sakura as well as Diapet’s 1:40th scale G72. All of these were the Wolf LP400 with extras and pre-date the production LP500S! This Walter Wolf special I believe was purchased by a collector from Japan and this may explain why so many Japanese diecast companies made replicas of it!

Hope this helps!

Confused! I certainly was! :)

Chris

·
FnF: Fords n Ferraris
7,829 Posts
Ok. I understand the Lamborghini part but confused why G72 would be older than G66. I guess one of those things you just accept. Good luck on your research but as much as you all ready seem to know I doubt most of us will have anything new to add

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok. I understand the Lamborghini part but confused why G72 would be older than G66. I guess one of those things you just accept. Good luck on your research but as much as you all ready seem to know I doubt most of us will have anything new to add
Well numbers can be re-used for other models - just like Matchbox does. Yes, I guess the Lamborghini research is about complete. However, still would like more information regarding G66 release and withdrawn dates.

Thanks

Chris

·
Registered
906 Posts
Info on Diapets are very hard to come by. I started collecting the 1/64 scale Diapet motorycles (currently have 3) awhile back and have yet to find a list of all models produced and years of prodution.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Info on Diapets are very hard to come by. I started collecting the 1/64 scale Diapet motorycles (currently have 3) awhile back and have yet to find a list of all models produced and years of prodution.
Hi billy1

A list of Diapet models to the late 1970’s is supplied in: "The Golden Book Of Model Cars 1900 - 1975" by Paolo Rampini. I have a copy and it is brilliant!

Unfortunately, as the dates state on the book it doesn’t cover the release of G66 but G72 is included with an issue date of 1977.

If you inform me of the motorcycles you have along with their reference numbers I will see if they are in the above book.

Chris :)

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
The Rampini was my only hope - my other old references do not list Diapets that 'new'!!!

So do you have both of them? Could we see a compare shot, when you have time? I know very little about 1/43 Japanese diecast... :-(
Karl

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The Rampini was my only hope - my other old references do not list Diapets that 'new'!!!

So do you have both of them? Could we see a compare shot, when you have time? I know very little about 1/43 Japanese diecast... :-(
Karl
Hi Karl

No I don’t have both models just the G66 version. I will post some images soon.

Chris

·
Registered
906 Posts
Hi billy1

A list of Diapet models to the late 1970’s is supplied in: "The Golden Book Of Model Cars 1900 - 1975" by Paolo Rampini. I have a copy and it is brilliant!

Unfortunately, as the dates state on the book it doesn’t cover the release of G66 but G72 is included with an issue date of 1977.

If you inform me of the motorcycles you have along with their reference numbers I will see if they are in the above book.

Chris :)
Chris, here are the pics of the ones I have. Ref. #'s are onthe side of the boxes.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Chris, here are the pics of the ones I have. Ref. #'s are onthe side of the boxes.
Hi billy1

Honda CB750 Four 0122 issued 1973
Suzuki 250 0176 issued in 1972
Suzuki 750GT 0105 issued in 1973

All are listed as 1:35th scale. The book does not provide dates the bikes were withdrawn but I have a 1983 Diapet catalogue and your bikes are not included. So they were withdrawn before 1983.

Hope this helps.

BTW I have the Honda in my collection and it compares nicely with the Britains motorcycles I have.

Chris

1 - 12 of 12 Posts