Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yonezawa’s Diapet Cherica range was made as a challenge to Tomica’s miniature cars in the 1970’s. Today they are hard to find.

url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/chrisstar4/9385983531/]
[/url]
Yonezawa Diapet Cherica Nissan Cedric HT
by Chris*4, on Flickr

They were issued in boxes or as illustrated on blisters. This Japanese Police car is a Nissan Cedric Hard Top and came with two road signs. It was numer 15 in the range and was made in Japan. This model has a diecast body and baseplate with a plastic interior and roof light. It also features opening doors.

Chris

·
FnF: Fords n Ferraris
7,829 Posts
That is nice. Outside of some trucks and buses I have only seen larger scale stuff from them.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's an awesome piece! I love the packaging. :thumbsup:

Do you know if there is any kind of an online list of what was made?
This was a fabulous find - didn’t know that they packaged this range in blister packs.

Regarding a list one is in “The Golden Book of Toy Cars” by Paulo Rampini published in 1995.

I think the Japanese magazine "Model Cars” does specials just covering Japanese toy car manufactures and one of these editions may have a list too.

BTW there were a few Toyotas in the Cherica range.

Chris

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
This was a fabulous find - didn’t know that they packaged this range in blister packs.

Regarding a list one is in “The Golden Book of Toy Cars” by Paulo Rampini published in 1995.

I think the Japanese magazine "Model Cars” does specials just covering Japanese toy car manufactures and one of these editions may have a list too.

BTW there were a few Toyotas in the Cherica range.

Chris
Thanks Chris, I'll keep my eyes open for those. I think they had catalogs back then too - I think I recently saw a picture of one on another forum.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Chris, I'll keep my eyes open for those. I think they had catalogs back then too - I think I recently saw a picture of one on another forum.
Hi Toyotageek

Diapet catalogues is another way to go. But the earlier issues are not cheap.

I do have a couple but they don’t go back as far as the Cherica series.

Chris

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Chris, can you tell us where you found this car? Was it online or at a flea market? If it was a flea market or shop, where in the world are you? :rolleyes:

Do you mind my asking how much it cost you? I'm just curious since this is the type of thing that rarely appears locally where I live, and if it does, it will probably go for a high price or be snatched up by one of the few collectors around here that are familiar with Cherica. I'm near Los Angeles California, and I tend to regard our region a bit of a diecast hot spot where cars can be more expensive than other parts of the country - the financial extremes of supply and demand rates seem to be in effect here. :(

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Chris, can you tell us where you found this car? Was it online or at a flea market? If it was a flea market or shop, where in the world are you? :rolleyes:

Do you mind my asking how much it cost you? I'm just curious since this is the type of thing that rarely appears locally where I live, and if it does, it will probably go for a high price or be snatched up by one of the few collectors around here that are familiar with Cherica. I'm near Los Angeles California, and I tend to regard our region a bit of a diecast hot spot where cars can be more expensive than other parts of the country - the financial extremes of supply and demand rates seem to be in effect here. :(
Hi

I found this model at a Toy Fair in England which is located just 1 hours drive from where I live. It cost me £14. I know the dealer very well and have bought lots of items from him over a 20+ years period!

One major collecting theme for me is Japanese diecasts from the 1960’s to the mid 1990’s. I have examples from Marushin, Tomica, Bandai, Diapet, Sakura, Ashai etc.... mostly in 1:43rdish scale.

So this Cherica fits in rather nicely. I have seen other Cherica models in the past at Toy Fairs and these were priced at £30 each and where boxed examples.

Hope all this helps. :)

Cheers Chris

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Hi

I found this model at a Toy Fair in England which is located just 1 hours drive from where I live. It cost me £14. I know the dealer very well and have bought lots of items from him over a 20+ years period!

One major collecting theme for me is Japanese diecasts from the 1960’s to the mid 1990’s. I have examples from Marushin, Tomica, Bandai, Diapet, Sakura, Ashai etc.... mostly in 1:43rdish scale.

So this Cherica fits in rather nicely. I have seen other Cherica models in the past at Toy Fairs and these were priced at £30 each and where boxed examples.

Hope all this helps. :)

Cheers Chris
Thanks Chris, I appreciate your answers. I had a feeling you were in England. I find it interesting that it appears a lot more older Japanese cars show up in England than here in the US (at least that I see locally). A friend in the Toyota Enthusiats Club (a UK based club) is always coming up with some interesting diecast and tin toys.

I want to expand my collection of old Japanese diecast - eBay prices tend to be inflated, prices in Japan can also be high depending on what the model is, and availability locally is almost non-existant, and when it is the prices are also exorbitant ... of course it doesn't help that I'm cheap :rolleyes: and looking for the best deals. However, £14 ($15-$20) is something I find reasonable, while £30 ($40 - $50) for me is out of my set limits... :drunk:

·
FnF: Fords n Ferraris
7,829 Posts
Thanks Chris, I appreciate your answers. I had a feeling you were in England. I find it interesting that it appears a lot more older Japanese cars show up in England than here in the US (at least that I see locally).
My thoughts are that while we in the U.S. were playing with our Redlines in the dirt, the hobby was all ready big in England. Maybe more foreign product made it to England because that's where the sales were. Any way that is my theory while sitting here eating a burrito.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My thoughts are that while we in the U.S. were playing with our Redlines in the dirt, the hobby was all ready big in England. Maybe more foreign product made it to England because that's where the sales were. Any way that is my theory while sitting here eating a burrito.
Collecting model cars has a history spanning many countries in the world. The early 1960’s was the start of recording our present craze. In the early 1960’s toy/model car collecting clubs were formed and magazines devoted to our hobby were published. Magazines of this nature were published in USA, Britain, France, Italy etc.... However, by the early 1970’s most of these magazines disappeared. People still collected model cars but magazine ratings fell. In Britain the 1970’s was the start of the small toy shops going out of business and this limited the availability of model cars. Britain saw model car magazines back on the news stands in the mid 1980’s and toy fairs became established all over Britain. Now via the internet we are all globally connected.

As for obsolete toy cars they are now everywhere. It is now a matter of finding the mother lode!

Chris

·
Registered
5,856 Posts
This Japanese Police car is a Nissan Cedric Hard Top and came with two road signs. It was numer 15 in the range and was made in Japan.
Chris
My reference shows this car as "C-26." The C-15 appears to have been a civilian Cedric Coupe. C-25 was this same model as a yellow over orange taxi (as dumb as this sounds, since no one in their right mind uses a coupe as a taxi...)

·
Registered
502 Posts
Here is one I sold the other day for $43 on the bay

They are very nice, (Most are Just a bit to big for my 1/64 scale) even though this one said 1/67 on the pack

Greg (Carsdownunder)

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
My reference shows this car as "C-26." The C-15 appears to have been a civilian Cedric Coupe. C-25 was this same model as a yellow over orange taxi (as dumb as this sounds, since no one in their right mind uses a coupe as a taxi...)

Hi PWSchuh

If you look under the base of your taxi model what number appears?

Under my Police car it clearly states 15.

Of course all Diapet Cherica Nissan Cedric coupes may share the same base and therefore the number. The evidence provided by both our images is that Cherica models shared the same blister card without an individual reference number. Obviously a case of rationalisation.

BTW what is on the reverse of your blister card?

And what is the source of your reference material?

Thanks

Chris

·
Registered
5,856 Posts
Hi PWSchuh

If you look under the base of your taxi model what number appears?

Under my Police car it clearly states 15.

Of course all Diapet Cherica Nissan Cedric coupes may share the same base and therefore the number. The evidence provided by both our images is that Cherica models shared the same blister card without an individual reference number. Obviously a case of rationalisation.

BTW what is on the reverse of your blister card?

And what is the source of your reference material?

Thanks

Chris
Chris,

Not my model; stole the picture from a thread on Swifty's Garage.

You are correct that the Cedric's likely all share the same base and the green C-15 was the first one in the line-up.

My source is a Japanese language diecast book. It has good coverage on Diapets up until about the early 70's. There is limited info on later models but I don't read Japanese so I don't understand the significance.

I originally pulled it off the shelf because I was looking for info about your Lambo. There is a photo of a red Countach, but no model number that I can see and no recognizable date.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts