Hobbyist Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm researching my color palette for a Mike hill Bela Lugosi Ygor figure. On this site
http://wormholeriders.net/MovieM/?p=2022
they claim that this is the costume Bela Lugosi wore in 1939's "Son Of Frankenstein"

By benlundy at 2012-06-29
However, this doesn't look quite right to me..mostly because of the bottom of the legs that look like they evolve into some sort of Faux-boots, and the fact that the front of the shirt doesn't lace up..I don't even see any eyelets..compare to these stills-

Now the model has the laces as you see Lugosi had in SOF.
So, on a hunch (get it..hunch..never mind) I checked Lugosi's Ygor costume in 1942's "Ghost Of Frankenstein" and this doesn't seem to match up to the above costume either.

So, what gives? I'm thinking someone out there has the answer to this...I mean I could paint the outfit chartreuse if I wanted to. But, I would also be happy to go with the blue-green color, too...However, I would love to know if there is any accuracy to this.
Thanks fellas, and let me know what you think!

Ben

·
Registered
581 Posts
It looks like it could be right. In the closeup you show of Bela, the ringlets and the ties seem to be part of his shirt which would be underneath the blue-green costume. And his legs in the full shot are sticking out about a foot from the bottom of the blue-green pants; he either has a full set of pants under the blue-green things or is wearing boots.

As far as color goes, keep in mind that they chose colors based on how they looked on various black & white film stocks, so it was not necessarily supposed to be a true-to-life color.

It looks like he completely changed his costume for GOF.

You can always check by watching the movie again. I'm always looking for an excuse to put on a Universal horror film!

·
Elder Statesman
1,968 Posts
When I had that massive Resin From The Grave kit of Son of Frankenstein, I painted Ygor shirt Green and Pants black. A blue grey shirt I should have gone for. What color was Lon Chaney's Wolfman shirt?

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When I had that massive Resin From The Grave kit of Son of Frankenstein, I painted Ygor shirt Green and Pants black. A blue grey shirt I should have gone for. What color was Lon Chaney's Wolfman shirt?
I'm not sure what color it's supposed to be, but I painted it kind of a green sea foam. I had so many black models that I wanted to put some color in there. Also tried to make his pants look like faded jeans...again, I wasn't going for accuracy...just wanted some more color. You can see it here-

http://septimuspretorius.yolasite.com/polar-lights-one-quarter-scale-wolf-man.php

Ben

·
Elder Statesman
1,968 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ygor garb (Update)

So I've started on my Ygor model and thought I'd share some WIP pictures. The eyes look milky because I put some parma fast mask on them so I didn't screw them up as I continue painting. Obviously, there is alot of work yet to do here-Something I learned on this model...it is better to go ahead and be patient and paint the eyes until you get them right then to mess around with those pain in the a** decal eyes.

By benlundy at 2012-07-05

Thanks

Ben

·
Premium Member
4,088 Posts
Looking good, I like those Archer eyeball decals. They are tricky to use for sure. What I do is cut them in linear cuts right next to the iris so you end up with a trapezoidal decal rather than perfectly circular as it really doesn't matter, just getting close to the iris is what matters. Then I float them in the water, they release from the paper very quickly. Next I wipe the decal onto my finger. From there I pick it up with the tip of an xacto knife. Finally put a dab of water on the model eye and apply it. Soak up excess water with a paper towel and position the decal finishing with a careful drop of decal solution.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts