Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having just decided to seriously start collecting hotwheels about a month ago...

So I got a factory sealed, unopened case of 72 cars. I got a '37 t-hunt, so im happy (never got a t-hunt before). My plan is to collect two of each model and variation starting this year. They will all get packed away and given to my 3 and 5 yr old(s) sometime in the distant future. (yes they do get new ones to open and play with too).

So here is the dumb part......I had no idea mystery cars were encased in black plastic blisters. I got 5 of them. If my collection(s) will consist of each car and variation in their package, what do I do with the mystery ones. Is it just understood that mystery cars are never in original packaging.

Thanks for helping out a newbie

·
Premium Member
5,478 Posts
In 2010 the Mystery cars have a little hole in the back so you can see some of the car. You can't see the whole car, but should be enough to see if you already have 1.
The case I was able to hang last night had 2 of the 6 Mystery cars as 2010's with the hole.
Got a green Rigor Motor with flames and gold engine/pipes, with purple faster than ever wheels and canopy. Also a pearl white '65 Corvette convertible with red and blue and stars on it, and a #10 on the door, with black PR5 wheels and blue plastic base.

·
Registered
497 Posts
There are codes on the back of the card, and I believe there are guides on the internet that will help you determine what's inside the package without opening it.

Also, it is possible to guess what's inside as well. I've heard of people that shake the package to try to determine what's in them, but I squeeze the blister to find the cars I want. For instance, I'm almost certain I have the 58 Corvette with the protruding engine from last year, because I can feel the engine through the blister. For a more recent one, I have the 40 Ford Convertible because I was able to feel the windshield.

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
So here is the dumb part......I had no idea mystery cars were encased in black plastic blisters. I got 5 of them. If my collection(s) will consist of each car and variation in their package, what do I do with the mystery ones. Is it just understood that mystery cars are never in original packaging.

Thanks for helping out a newbie
Just so you know the Mystery Packs are not Limited but they are here to
generate business for Mattel as you will have to buy 200 packs to get all
the Cars and hopefully all the Variations as there are 24 Cars for the Mystery
Series + 3-4 Variations for each Car so you will definitely be spending alot
of money on these alone. I say stick with the Cars you can see and forget
the Mystery Cars. Jus MHO

·
Registered
5,308 Posts
Or buy the ones that are already ripped open if the car inside is the one you want. That saves time and money. Just be carefule, though. I've heard of people being thrown out of TRU just for peaking into the ripped mysteries.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts