Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a dozen or more blisters that are getting yellow all over, and I notice that all the cars are made in china, is it just me or do other cars made somewhere else get Yellow? I don't have any that are not made in china, here some

·
Registered
49 Posts
Certain plastic compounds, and maybe certain paint compounds, give off airborne acids that can cause yellowing in fabrics and other plastics. Who knows what was used to manufacture those in China so it's possible something in the car itself is giving off fumes that are eating away at the inside of the bubble.

·
Registered
7,221 Posts
Maybe these were sitting out in direct sunlight
Yea, this has been discussed before... maybe can search for it here in the Hot Wheels section...

I have some too.... and they are the same way, and are in a box with other cars that are not yellowing... have a HW case with maybe 50 cars in it, all around the same year or time period, and maybe 2 or 3 have the yellowed blister... all stored exactly the same way

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
The only one I've ever had that yellowed was where the seal/plastic had been broken so air got inside. I'm wondering if that might explain why it happens to some and not others?

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
Word was back in the day China used different compounds in the plastic ( maybe to cut back on cost ) which made all the Blister Packs to turn yellow. You will not be able to stop the process in them changing colors whether they are in a controled environment or out in the open. They all changed to the ughly yellow Blisters you have. Crack them open and enjoy them. No Car from those few years will be worth much in the future, so enjoy them open.

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
The fact of the matter is ALL plastic yellows over time, some just do it more and faster than others. The difference is the kind of plastic it is and the formula used for making it. Acrylic yellows the slowest, Bakelite is one of the fastest. Polystyrene, which is one of the cheapest and most common of plastics (think styrofoam peanuts) and most likely the one being used for the blisters, can span the range - from 'normal' yellowing to hardly yellowing at all, depending, again, on its formulation. While the formulas used by the Chinese may have contributed to the fast yellowing, I still wonder if a close inspection wouldn't show some kind of air leak in the packages that allowed the blister to be exposed to the air from both inside and out.

If you happen to be interested in reading a little more about some the characteristics of some plastics, especially those used in the past, you might check out a few paragraphs on the subject in this publication (the discussion on the different plastics begins towards the end of the first page - just keep in mind it is very brief and was never intended to be considered a treatise on the subject):

http://www.scribd.com/doc/62620988/Usa-Chess-Sets?secret_password=20dh6ethlqq2is9j0g1h

·
Registered
6,769 Posts
I have some McFarlane figures the same way. Same year, same series. Some are yellowing, some are crystal clear.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
I have the same problem with a couple '70 Z28s from ERTL's American Muscle series,but it's weird.I have 3 different color versions and only 2 of the bps are yellowed,the other is clear.:confused:

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
There are just some cars that are known to be on blisters that turn yellow. Several of them were made in China in the '90s like these.

The orange Plymouth Barracuda mainline from 1999

Dark blue 1997 '65 Mustang convertible mainline from 1997

Also the black '65 Mustang convertible from 1987 is really bad to turn yellow, but it was made in Malaysia.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts