Hobbyist Forums banner

61 - 80 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
5,773 Posts
Well the IJN Akagi carried 66 planes + 25 reserves. It was also roughly the same size as the IJN Yamato (Yamato was a few meters wider) and it was especially designed to carry aircraft. Some of the online blueprints of the 70's Yamato show remarkably few aircraft (only 5 in a cutaway view) and the couple scenes I recall showing the inside of the quite spacious landing bay show a lot more than that.

One more item I did not mention about the hangar bay was how the planes got off the "shelves". Two methods were discussed: a crane in the center that grabbed each and lowered it to the deck, or the shelves were "pallets" that lowered the plane down the side when there were no more planes beneath it.

Anyhow, enough of this, I'm curious as to what you will do next with this build. I had no idea the original design of this model was so lacking in detail.
He he he, yeah, a bit distracted. But I wonder if the discussions you reference, did those people even WATCH original Yamato? It's shown very clearly the 'pallet' shelves is what is used, except for a couple of instances where a crane/trapeze is used to launch a Type 100 recon plane.

But back to the build. I wonder what happens next? :)

·
Starship Class
11,720 Posts
I continue to be very impressed with this build. You've created something much more than the sum of its parts. The attention to detail is amazing. The fact that you reshaped it to match the cartoon hull at the bow is the most impressive. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
5,773 Posts
I continue to be very impressed with this build. You've created something much more than the sum of its parts. The attention to detail is amazing. The fact that you reshaped it to match the cartoon hull at the bow is the most impressive. :thumbsup:
LOL! What I would say is he's creating something with SOME of the parts...

See, that's a little play on words and...

I'll be over there is anyone wants me... ;)

·
Premium Member
986 Posts
Discussion Starter #66 (Edited)
My Goodness, a lot's been going on in here while I was away!

Thanks for the kind words rworne ! I watched that CG hangar bay video and remarked on how slow and cumbersome the whole affair seems! Way too many moving parts that could break down and cause chaos during a launching...

Thank you PerfesserCoffee! Glad you're enjoying the build!

Steve H. I did thin down the fins on the main engine nozzle, you were right about them being too thick and slabby... looks much better now.

Some minor progress this weekend, had to go back and correct a couple of mistakes and managed to get the main engine nozzle interior detail squared away...whew! I really need to either buy or make a duplicating cutter.

I had to completely tear up and rebuild the aft sub-turret pedestal, and move it 5mm back, as it turned out to be too close to the missile launchers between the three stabilizers, just aft of the smokestack:

Re-work of the first bridge windows:

Almost fully assembled!

·
Registered
55 Posts
That invokes my PTSD...

by the legendary Isao Sasaki - who did quite a few other animated films from that era as well.

This song is the second Japanese National Anthem since the late 70's.

My first exposure to this show was "Space Cruiser Yamato" back in 1978 or so, on the "Family Film Festival" with Tom Hatten (who kept calling the ship "Space Cruiser Yamamoto". When it came out as Star Blazers, I totally missed it because that's not the title I recognized.

A bit of trivia: This series is what prompted me to learn Japanese back in 1983. Most Japanese, especially the natives I meet are gobsmacked when they find this out. A geeky white kid integrating with the local expat Japanese community back then was quite an oddity, but I got a lot of support from them. Later on I found out quite a number of the parents were in internment camps during WWII, which made it feel a bit awkward for a while, but one of their teenage kids told me his folks found it therapeutic, as if I were a sign of hope that would not happen again. I'll never forget that.

·
Registered
55 Posts
If you think about it, the idea of converting a heavy, old sunken battleship into a spaceship is one of the most bizarre concepts ever in sci-fi or fantasy. Still, they pull it off with a ridiculously high cool factor. :D
It came really close to being another forgettable series long the vein of Message from Space, and it's ilk. Not to say that those shows were not special in their own way - nothing is more enjoyable than the campiness of old Japanese live-action Sci-Fi. As an animated show, it would have had no staying power.

The pairing of Nishizaki and Matsumoto is what made the series special. I don't know of anything Nishizaki did on his own that was a success, the Yamato successor Odin was a hot steaming pile, and Matsumoto had several big hits (Harlock, 999) but nothing really much since then. The two of them working together was magic.

·
Premium Member
986 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
Having focused so much on Yamato for the last few weeks, I almost forgot about Analyzer! Well, not really. He's been sitting in pieces in the plastic container since I glued his larger bits together, and was dreading the masking I knew I would have to do when it came time to paint him. Well, now's the time! My painting skills are not the greatest in the world, so I was very careful and slow with Analyzer and it seems to be paying off. I have to tape up his head and mask off for the black inset areas that will be under the clear plastic on either side of his head still. The kit came with stickers to simulate the little gauges and what not around his head and the oval cavity on his chest, not decals, so I'm going to super glue them in place permanently, in case one day the glue on the stickers dries out.

·
Premium Member
986 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
Ah, you have the O.G. Analyzer there, the one where the treads on the feet make absolutely no sense on now they are attached (or could possibly even work).
The very same, rworne... it took me a few minutes of studying his feet to realize exactly what you are pointing out, when I first tackled him. The way the kit is molded, his ankles simply connected to the top of the tracks, as if he were simply floating on disconnected tracks. Not a lot of thought went into this kit in the design phase, it seems. Also, as a bonus kit, it was meant to be a coin-bank, and not really an accurate mold of Analyzer, so there's that too. If you look closely at his feet I've modified them and added the skirts to the front and rear and sides of both feet to more closely resemble the cartoon. Now the tracks look like they are properly attached.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Cool kit Wiskeyrat! I remember that series when I was a youngin, they had no toys or model kits back then. I think I was call the Argo back then, but I could be mistaken, I remember the robot also, gotta' save the earth with the special machine. Love the Wave motion gun, it takes care of busness!:grin2:

·
Premium Member
986 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
Cool kit Wiskeyrat! I remember that series when I was a youngin, they had no toys or model kits back then. I think I was call the Argo back then, but I could be mistaken, I remember the robot also, gotta' save the earth with the special machine. Love the Wave motion gun, it takes care of busness!:grin2:
You're not mistaken, good ol' StarBlazers! Monday through Friday at 3:30 pm on channel 36, circa 1984, IIRC... my first exposure to Yamato, and the beginning of a lifelong obsession, ha!

·
Premium Member
986 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
Almost done, only items left are the two antennae on either side of his head, and the clear semi-domes that cover the black inset areas on both sides. I ended up-hand brushing the flat black after my first attempt at masking off the red framing around the black inset tore up the top coat and primer with it... !*@%$#*!?!! :mad:

·
Registered
356 Posts
I saw it in the late 70's or early 80's? when I lived in Chicago. I saw another cool series called G-force, it had a cool space craft that could separate into different vehicles to defeat the enemy. If memory serves me correctly the bad guy turned out to be a gal, pretty funky stuff. Ill stay tuned in on your progress!:grin2:

·
Registered
55 Posts
The very same, rworne... it took me a few minutes of studying his feet to realize exactly what you are pointing out, when I first tackled him. The way the kit is molded, his ankles simply connected to the top of the tracks, as if he were simply floating on disconnected tracks. Not a lot of thought went into this kit in the design phase, it seems.
It's not the model, it's the actual character design that has the flaw. You fixed it one way, the later revised designs of Analyzer in 2199 and 2202 have a split track design, where the ankle connects to the feet between the split treads.

·
Premium Member
986 Posts
Discussion Starter #79 (Edited)
It's not the model, it's the actual character design that has the flaw. You fixed it one way, the later revised designs of Analyzer in 2199 and 2202 have a split track design, where the ankle connects to the feet between the split treads.
Yes, I seem to remember Analyzer's treads in the original cartoon being a physical impossibility, so the model designers simply followed the blueprint they were given then. Well, I don't blame 'em!

My Analyzer is finally done. Just gonna apply a wash a bit later on but he's all assembled, painted and stickered. Thankfully, most of the pulled-up paint and primer are underneath the seam where the clear plastic meets the red body, so it's essentially invisible. He'll make a nice companion piece for Yamato when they're both finished.

·
Registered
5,773 Posts
Don't forget the yellow (gold, in your case) flexible metal hose (tm)* connecting the elbows to the back!

*flexible metal hose courtesy of Corn Pone Flicks epic production 'Flexible Metal Hose Co. Vs. the Universe' 1993)

61 - 80 of 92 Posts