Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Yamaha EF1000 generator came in with water and gunk in the carburetor. Removed carb and cleaned completely with spray carb cleaner. I removed and cleaned the jets also. Reinstalled and engine surges. Checked for air leaks and found none. Engine will run great at 3/4 choke. Removed carb and cleaned again. A little better but still surging.

Obviously there is some passages still plugged. What I am wondering is if this carburetor has internal check valves that will be damaged if I soak it in a carb dip? I don't want to ruin the carb. Thanks for your help

·
Registered
165 Posts
I would use a ultrasonic cleaning tank if you have one or can find someone to do this for you. I find it a lot better then carb dip and you will not damage the carb

bill

·
Registered
810 Posts
Still sounds like there is an obstruction in the carb. Not familiar with the carbs on these. So not sure of the check valves. The only check valves I have seen are on 2-cycle carbs.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. I have an ultrasonic cleaner but not had much luck with it. I use dawn dish soap, and always use the heat feature, but it never seems to get them clean on the inside. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
165 Posts

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Bill I am in the U.S. but will see what I can find. After the third time through the ultrasonic cleaner the carb worked great. Thanks

·
Registered
6,116 Posts
The pilot jet is usually the culprit for this type of issue. It can also be the circuit that feeds the pilot jet. Any kind of restriction in the low speed circuit will generally cause this type of issue under low or no load and it may go away when a load is applied and the fuel is delivered via the main jet.

·
Registered
127 Posts
i use this http://www.harborfreight.com/25-liter-ultrasonic-cleaner-95563.html

and the mix i use to clean with is vinger,dawn,and degreaser
all with the heat setting on and i will run for a cycle then let sit for 30 min and then repeat untill clean

this is what is working for me now and i have tryed soft scrub,ajax,mineral sperats,Ultrasonic cleaning powder

if you have any thing else that you know that can handle the heat and clean carbs please pass on the info

:wave::wave: i love this place :wave::wave:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts