Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts
I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody here own one of these cars? Has anybody driven one?

I just drove one of these cars last week at a race here and the car was very planted. The track was a fairly rough outdoor asphalt surface. My BRP did not work no matter what I did but the M18 tracked straight, did not hop and had great corner speed.

Anybody else have any thoughts on the M18?

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Good car, especially if the surface isnt smooth.

I still think on carpet my Penguin Equiped Micro RS4 is faster than my M18. The M18 has a few issues that will eventually get resolved.

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I just built my M18 last night.

I have seen the M18's run on carpet and I have never seen a micro that could keep up.

The M18's on five cells with stock motor were faster than the HPI cars on 6 cells around the track.

The BRP on carpet can definitely compete with the XRAY.

WHat issues with the XRAY are you referring to pat?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Hey guys,

We run the Xray micros at our track every Wednesday and on Sundays. Our track is ozite carpet, and we run them with the TRC micro foams. I myself am running purple fronts and pink rears. In general, the M18's at our track with the foam tires suffer from too much bite (imagine that). So, what most of us are doing is gluing the outside edge of the tires and a very small band along the outer tread. After that, they are pretty well hooked up. We tried to run the cars with the kit tires, but there was too little grip and the cars were rallying around the corners (fun, but not fast). The HPI cars aren't even close, by the way. One guy is fast with his HPI, but it has the Ratzas chassis and 6-cells compared to our box stock chassis and 5-cells, and he is at least a lap off the pace. We do have a couple of guys with BRP cars, but they don't run them. I believe they would be close, because they seem to be pretty quick when they are playing around.

Tommy

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
The XRay tends to wander on long straights, it seems to be because of the excessive rear toe-in but a fix is on the way with the new 2.5 degree toe links. Quite a few people are having problems with the tranny using foam tires on carpet and big block motors. The gear diff causes the car to do a rapid turn around if all the weight is transfered to the outside tire in a high speed tight turn. They need some stiffer springs for those of us who race on a smooth ozite track.

If a M18 on 5 cells is faster than an HPI based car on 6 cells the person runing the HPI doesnt know what they are doing.

I run my M18 in mod and my HPI/Penguin P3500LM in stock and consistantly get the fastest laptimes in the stock class.

On asphalt I would wager the M18 would definately be the better car but on a smooth carpet track they are quite comparable.

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Also,

I have a solution to the wandering.

Your wandering may be due to your servo, servo horn or the increased toe in the rear.

I think that it is an issue with both the toe in the rear and the bumpsteer links. Try removing the links from underneath the wheel hub and diff case and place it on the upperside of the wheel hub and on the top of the rear diff case.

This will help alleviate that wandering issue and appears to decrease a bit of that toe.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Interesting, by keeping up do you mean to have the same straight line speed the micro needs an extra cell to have the same straight line speed as the M18?

In the stock class I have been runing my Penguin with 6 cells against M18s with 6 cells and I am ever so slightly faster than them in terms of straight line speed and the car handles like a dream going exactly where I want it.

In mod I run the M18 with 5 cells and a speed 300 and only see the wandering when the track has a long straight. Im going to stick my Elite Mod in and see if I can equal the M18 lap times.

I was doing 8.3 second laps in mod and 8.7 second laps in stock FYI. I had the fastest laptimes in stock but not mod, the fastest guy in mod was doing just under 8's.

I think most of the difference lies in the fast that most serious racers view the M18 as more of a race vehicle and therefore better drivers are runing the M18 than the micro.

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am not referring to straight line speed at all. five cell M18 is definitely slower in a straight line than a six cell micro as it should be.

Many of the drivers racing the M18's at the Rialto track were previously running HPI micros.

The M18's set a track record within one month of their release at that track.

The track surface there is Ozite.

You should seriously try that mod I mentioned. It will only take five minutes to do it and if you don't like it, you can always go back.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
I have been planing on trying it this week. Where is Rilato? Do you all run micros throughout the year? I am going to be in Ocenside sometime this summer and might bring one of my micros to race. We only run them in the winter here.

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Rialto is in Rialto. It is fairly close to San Bernardino. This is a micro only track and it is carpet.

From Oceanside you can probably get there in an hour.

We also race at SoCal raceway which is less than an hour drive from Oceanside.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
So how does the M18 stack up against the BRP with the ball diff? I used to run 1/18 scale but no one around here runs them. The BRP blew away the HPI micros since I could actually turn without flipping and they couldn't. Seems the rear of the HPI micro is way too stiff.

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I will need to run each of them on carpet to find out.

I can tell you that the M18 is definitely the more versatile of the two cars.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Yeah, I bought the ball diff for mine right away and it was a blast. Really only issue I had with your vehicle Bud was that the screws stripped too easily and the motors were very finicky. I got a tuned version from you that blew up on its first run, but since you are a standup guy you replaced it right away.

·
Premium Member
8,168 Posts
Don't understand the screw trouble, you have to have the right size bit. Motors are Fine if you follow the instructions on making sure they are not bound up. I tell and show racers this all the time. trouble is they feal fine thru the gears but may still be bound and it does not take much to mess them up.

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Have any of you guys raced against the M18's yet?

I just drove mine last night and one thing that I notice about the M18 is that the springs are too soft.

Just one con I have noticed about the car.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Intelligenasia--- I have raced my M18 once and it seemed pretty good out of the box. Stock tires,stock motor 4 or 5 cell was good.I haven't ran a 45 turn or big block yet but tuning parts are becoming available.If you have oval racing in your area look at pan car front springs,I bought a bag of Wolfe Motorsports springs $11.00 for 7 pairs from 4 to 16 lbs in 2 lb incriments.They appear to be the right diameter maybe a little short though(1/16 of an inch or so).hope this helped.

Later,

Mark

1 - 20 of 77 Posts