Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had this XK120 left over from a wheel swipe for the "Group 44" project.

I was going to chop off the top and use a Morgan Aeromax's roof. Instead I decided to cut out the rear posts of the "fixed head" and not destroy anything else.

After cutting out the post I cut a line from the back of the lower side window, down the side, to the tail lamps. I then raised the rear deck section and lowered the roof slightly to meet each other after cutting out all of the posts and pertrusions from under the rear deck, save for the back two brackets.

I then stripped the paint from the body.....

....And filled the gaps with J&B KWIK

After a rough filing, a rear window shape was decided on and drawn out on the rear deck using a Sharpie.

I then used a Dremel and a wore down cutting wheel to make the outside cut. Wore down cutting wheels are really nice to have for tight spaces; if you can keep them on hand.

I still had to turn the car over and cut from the inside to keep from cutting outside the lines of the desired rear window. Note the adheasive foil used to support the J&B while it cured out.

The window slug was then punched out. This opening will be filed out to the desired shape

The first coat of primer reveals much to be sanded out but the basic shape is now in hand.

·
Registered
12,959 Posts
Very cool CH. Must be the season for working on that casting because I just started one today myself. Mine will be a vert when it's finished.

·
Registered
5,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The "fixed head coupe" was an actual body style for those that might not realize it. Never really understood the purpose of it in real life. I'd of much rather had a "roadster" with a removable hardtop.

Yeah Zeb, the one in the background's heading for a top removal. Thought I had an XK120 convertable in 1/64 but I suppose I'm thinking about the 1/43 scale I have on the shelf. Looking forward to seeing yours.

·
Registered
12,959 Posts
Fixed head coupe - that's the term for that body style eh? I did not know that. But then, there is a whole lot of stuff I don't know. Anyhow, I think that roof isn't horrible looking on the XK-120, but it does tend to spoil the beautiful lines created by those fenders. I think your fastback looks better than the coupe because the roof line works with the lines of the rear fenders.

Of course, now that i've said all that I find this picture here and I think it looks pretty sweet. http://www.seriouswheels.com/pics-jkl/Jaguar-XK120-Fixed-Head-Coupe-red-side-lr.jpg

On the other hand, this is so much nicer looking.
http://image.automobilemag.com/f/features/news/25_most_beautiful_cars/6708813+w440/0610_z+1949_jaguar_XK120+25_most_beautiful_cars.jpg

·
Registered
5,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I do like the "fixed head" style....BUT YA CAN'T TAKE THE TOP OFF!!!!!!! Triumph had a removable hardtop quite similar to the 120's that fit the TR-3 and TR-2. Made them look a lot like the XK120.

·
Registered
5,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The dash was covered with adheasive foil and black Sharpie used to color it. the guages were scribed into the foil.

The rear shelf no longer covered the hole under the rear window. So out comes the old wallet.

Now its time to decide a color scheme.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts