Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey there,

Well, I finally finished this project that I started months ago. Seems I don't have the time that I once had to dedicate to models but I still plug away. Free time has been at a premium.

Nothing special here, just ERTL's Darth Vader TIE chasing Luke's X-Wing. I took some liberties with the weathering on the X-Wing. The red stripes on either side of the main hull are painted using Testor's Acryl British Crimson. I actually painted that over the decals on the wings, too, to match them up. I don't like the bright red decals as they make it look like a toy.

I had several pictures of the studio model of Red Three from two Star Wars exhibits I'd attended over the past 7 years. I took some of the weathering colors from that (rust, yellow, black, intermediate blue). They're all dry brushed on and I used charcoal stick for some of the black weathering.

Sorry if most of the pics have a yellowish tint. I did not use a flash on those and I took the pics in my family room as opposed to my workshop where I usually take the pics (smaller room with more light).

I'm also detailing a Bird of Prey that can now get my full attention since this project is finished.

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Just Ertl kits? These look fantastic! I love the flight angle of the TIE fighter. Looks just like the final battle. Great job. Can't wait to see the next build. Have you considered using one of the aftermarket bases that look like death star close-ups? Thanks for the postings.......

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just Ertl kits? These look fantastic! I love the flight angle of the TIE fighter. Looks just like the final battle. Great job. Can't wait to see the next build. Have you considered using one of the aftermarket bases that look like death star close-ups? Thanks for the postings.......
Uh, wow, thanks! I was expecting some harsh feedback! Like for example, the fact that I did nothing to the X-Wing cockpit. Just used the kit's lame parts. I am glad you liked it!

Ha! Funny you should mention that Death Star base. Reason why I didn't use that base (or the aftermarket cockpit for that matter) was simply that this little diorama is a sale item and I wanted to keep the price affordable with a simple base. About 75% of the models I build end up on my dealer table at either Farpoint or Shore Leave SF conventions in Maryland (although I attend lots of conventions, I only sell at these two).

However, the next time I do one of these, I WILL use the aftermarket cockpit and the Death Star base and it'll be a keeper, not for sale. I think I can do a little better work on the X-Wing and I have a few more in stock at home. I usually know once I am done with a model whether I cannot bear to part with it or whether I can let it go and do better on the next one.

But really, thanks for the encouragement!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts