Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, never truly ever finishing a track must not be in my nature. I decided after running on my current set up, that the 40 degree banking was too much. But there's no real alternative in HO short of buying into commercial grade tracks or routing your own. With that being said, I'm working up a process to bank the Tomy AFX 18 inch and 15 inch radius curves. I also plan on decreasing the banking angle to about 18 degrees so my older slower stuff can run those 18 foot straight-a-ways without sliding down the banking. It will also make me "drive" the track a little bit more. I'll continue to document the process on my site, but thought I'd throw some of it up here in case anyone else can use the idea or make it better!

Here's the old "north" end of the track. I'm going to replace one side at a time, trying out the new pavement on one side first, before digging up the "south" side of the track.

First the retainer walls came down. I guess will upgrade to a Safer-Barrier while we're at it. You can see the 40+ degree banking supports here.

The transition from the front and back straight really shows the bind the track is in through the twist. Even with 45 inches of straight in the transition, the cars can still lose electrical contact if the shoes are the least bit worn. The reduced banking angle will eliminate that issue.

Here's the difference in the bank supports. I'm also fabricating these in hardwood (Red Oak) so everything is good and sturdy and should resist and expansion/contraction issues as the weather changes.

That's been this week's work. The track and the wall has been removed. Next come the supports and putting the new units in.

-Paul

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here's a link to my website covering the installation process of the new banking at Woodrum Ridge Raceway. I am posting more details on the process and can include more images and instruction there.

WRR New Banked Curves

-Paul

·
Premium Member
742 Posts
Paul
Thanks so much for taking the time to document your steps in making the changes to your track (I know how tough that can be...you want to get your project DONE! not take pictures and write down the steps). Your descriptions are always easy to understand and the pictures clear and detailed. This is a wonderful resource to the rest of us here on HT.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Interesting, since I've got pretty the same work to do on my 1/32 (but wich will be running 1/43 cars, mostly) artin D shape 4lanes oval :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys. I'm hoping to work some more on the track this weekend. I'll be sure to keep the posts updated.

-Paul

·
Premium Member
3,558 Posts
Inspirational...

Great job posting this up for us 'Shoe. Kind of demystifies the build process when you see it all done step-by-step. Gives hope to those who want to start and and encouragement to those who need to make a change. I (being an all tjet guy) am tickled that you are making design changes to enable ALL of your cars to rip off laps. WTG :thumbsup:

·
Model Murdering
7,331 Posts
High quality play by play Shoe! With all the great pix and commentary it feels like I was right there with ya.

Mrs Shoe feeling better? K-Stones are no fun. I've been right there as well. Poor gal, my sympathys.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Bill! K-Stones ARE CONTAGIOUS! Got my wife nursed through her's a few weeks ago, and I had the great misfortune of passing 2 this week. Mine came right on through, nothing as bad as what she went through. But we're both doing fine and I will be working some more on the track this weekend!

Thanks For checking on us! This group at HT is a terrifically great family!

-Paul

·
Registered
864 Posts
that's some huge work with great result so far :thumbsup:

For my own track, I was thinking of making a "roadbed" in fiberboard, but your idea seems better, at least for the turns. What do you plan for straight sections of the track ? Same system or does the road become flat between the turns ?

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The front and back straight (about 18' long) transition to flat across all 4 lanes. One of the issues I was having with the original 40 degree banking was the transition from banked to flat with the first 45" of the straights being twisted to meet the banking angle. As the cars came off the turns, any worn pick ups seemed to find the one spot in the twist that would lose contact. The new transition is much less dramatic and so far tested well with all of my cars.

-Paul

·
Registered
864 Posts
That's a cool idea. With your system, we can make the straights flat, making the construction simplier (and cheaper, in a way, since I was thinking about adding an extra fiberboard roadbed) :thumbsup:

By the way, here's the oval (not sure of the final design actually) I'm preparing. Just a "mockup" installation, I need to clean, repair, all the track pieces.

It will be dedicated to 1/43 nascar cars (SCX compact) in priority. The track itself is 1/32 (artin). I choosed 1/43 cars on 1/32 track because the track looks more realistic this way, and because SCX 1/43 cars are cheap.

I'll post my own topic soon :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The large scale looks like a fun run. I like the 1/43 nascars myself. I picked up an SCX set off WOOT for $20 a few months ago. I run the cars on my Carrera Evolution track. Nice wide spacing between lanes! I look forward to seeing how your track turns out.

-Paul

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Posted in Swap and Sell Section Too

Hi Guys,
I'm still working on the new banking for Woodrum Ridge Raceway and need a handful of track pieces from the Tomy AFX line. I need:
2 - 18" Radius Curves
6 - 15" Radius Curves

I would like to swap for these but I can go Paypal too if need be. Anyone have some or all of these and are interested, PM me here at HT.

Thanks,
Paul

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Tons of New Articles Posted

Hi Guys,

I just finished writing the updates for the Woodrum Ridge Raceway project. All of the new banked turns are completed and I've covered the whole step by step process. I've also updated the scenery articles and some of the track building "How-To's". Check them out here:

Woodrum Ridge Raceway - The H.O. Tracks

This was WAAAAY overdue!
-Paul

1 - 20 of 28 Posts