Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About a week ago I have been searching for an info about a loose JL casting I bought on eBay. I stumbled upon Johnny Lightning wiki page on Wikia, which looked very much abandoned. Meanwhile, Hot Wheels wiki seems to be backed by a sizable community.

I have created several pages for various castings and will continue doing so as the time permits. Would anyone like to join me in this effort?

·
Administrator
34,421 Posts
I ran across the JL wiki pages a few weeks ago and it certainly needs some help! As 5thGenCamaro notes Wyatts is probably the most comprehensive site in regards to the casting lists and variations. If I followed the pieces correctly he is also responsible for much of what was the start of hobbytalk as a johnyny lightning forum initially.

The history of JL proved to be a difficult history to also trace. Start at the wikipedia page and start googling all the key words you run across. This will lead you to some defunct and some current sites

Information on playsets and series releases is also sparse.

Part of the diecast restructure here at HobbyTalk includes a new forum section that will reflect the historical eras of JL over time with the intent to have our members share their knowledge and photos of their known items here in our threads as well.

As can be seen with the recent PB debacle having this information in more than one place may prove to be necessary over time as there is no guarantee that wiki/fandom, hobbytalk or wyatts sites will exist forever.

:cheers2:

·
Administrator
34,421 Posts
Forgot to say I am a member at fandom wiki and as soon as I finish with the projects here will pop in and add what I can based on my limited collection centered upon Corvettes.

Another place to find different Johnny Lightning history is to watch ebay listings - often original packages and blister packs will show up there or confirm speculation that is listed elsewhere in the net.

:cheers2:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
5thGenCamaro , Milton Fox Racing, thank you for your replies! Wyatt's index is my major source of info about the casting variations. However, I find it inconvenient to search. Also, it has limited info. eBay is another good source of the info for sure. Usually, that is my last resort, when I am looking for a loose car info.

Thank you for your support, guys! I will continue working on the wiki pages. Hope it will be useful for the community!

·
Administrator
34,421 Posts
Dont give up. Someone from the Matchbox forum populated the MB wiki back in Feb 2017 and it went from slightly better than JL is now to more organized and up to date than even the HWs one. Not sure how many people contributed to that build up, but they did a good job. :cheers2:

·
FnF: Fords n Ferraris
7,828 Posts
Wyatt's site is a great resource. Mac Regan did a book on Johnny Lightning which is great for Topper and Playing Mantis era JL.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts