Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Never lost for words
2,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may be a short lived thread but I know many of us will be going to Wonderfest regardless of the guest list and planned activities. I'm starting to feel sorry for those whose pilgrimage to Louisville is dependent on what's offered.

It's February 5 and still no Wonderfest online flyer. C'mon Lee, can't you at least give us a few more hints/names?

Go here to check to see if anything new has been annnouced.

Jim
(patiently waiting)

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
Robert Picardo and Denise Crosby? I'm sure that will really excite a few dozen people.

·
Premium Member
3,930 Posts
AH HA ! forgot the Screen Actors ( and dancer's) guild ! ?

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Hey Jim,
I go to visit with you,Cult and a few dozen other of my close friends, look at the model contest, buy a few kits and consume a few beers!
You mean to tell me that there are other reasons to go???

Dave

·
Registered
8,869 Posts
Dave Metzner said:
Hey Jim,
I go to visit with you,Cult and a few dozen other of my close friends, look at the model contest, buy a few kits and consume a few beers!
You mean to tell me that there are other reasons to go???

Dave
I'm with you dave! :thumbsup:

I'm going to try my best to make it this year.

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
I don't know why this is a surprise.
They always take a while to get the website updated with the full details.
Doesn't matter to me who or what is going to be there.
Stuff like that is just icing in the cake for me and my daughter.

Though I do hope Greg doesn't have any scheduling conflicts this year.
Just wasn't the same without his annual presentation and talk of all the fun things he has done with KNB.

·
Registered
292 Posts
TAY666 said:
I don't know why this is a surprise.
Nope, not a surprise at all. They never have been in a hurry to update their website. I believe it was 2 years ago I received in the mail the WF printed flyer before their website was updated. Several people complained about wanting to know the dealer list, so I spent 5minutes and posted it here. 2 hrs later the WF website was update.:freak: I guess someone just needed the heat turned up alittle.:devil:

Bob

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
LOL Chris, I've been meaning to get to the Louisville Slugger museum, but everytime I get the urge to run out and immerse myself in Ball bat history somebody reminds me there's cold beer waiting to be consumed.........

Dave

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
Bobman said:
Nope, not a surprise at all. They never have been in a hurry to update their website. I believe it was 2 years ago I received in the mail the WF printed flyer before their website was updated. Several people complained about wanting to know the dealer list, so I spent 5minutes and posted it here. 2 hrs later the WF website was update.:freak: I guess someone just needed the heat turned up alittle.:devil:

Bob
I remember that.

·
Registered
319 Posts
You guys are just daring me to come out of lurker mode, huh? :) It does my heart good to know that everyone's so keen to know the whole scoop!

You have to realize I'm just the guy who posts the info when it's final. This year, guests and events are confirming painfully slowly and it's driving the two Daves crazy. I had to send out a very incomplete ad to AFM to make their deadline last month, and only last night and today have I gotten writeups on the final guests! I still don't have final confirmed after-hours events or even special model contest award sponsors. I'm working hard now to get everything posted that's in hand. It's a lot of work, and then I hafta do the flyer...then the name tags and tickets...and signs and pocket programs...you get the picture.

Speaking of flyers, I beg to differ Bob, respectfully and politely. I've produced every single printed item relating to WF and every bit of the website for the past 18 years!! The website always comes first, and then the flyer is built from material written for the website. I would know! That normally means a website between January 3rd to 12th, and a flyer printed at the end of January and bulk mailed in early February.

The good news is that it's a very solid lineup with several more names just finalized. Sometimes, good things just take longer to confirm. I thought modelers would be very happy for a chance to meet Mark Stetson; he's one of the most famous FX modelers ever. I can't wait to see what he'll bring to show.

In any event, we all appreciate your support, involvement and dedication to the show VERY much. We wouldn't be here without ya!

Lee

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
We're with ya Lee, but it's like being a kid on Christmas Eve - we can't stand the suspense! I'm sure it's going to be one unforgettable show.

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
Lee, just to be clear.

I was not dissing you or your work.
Just reminding people that these things take time and are rarely completed when we wish they would be.
I have no doubt things are compicated and take time.
We still have over 3 months until the big event.

It just shows how popular the show is. So many people so curious about what will be going on this year.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
I really Hope to go this year....and for what its worth The Patton museum at Ft.Knox is awesome!!! Every peice of armor that ever existed is there in one form or another!!!

·
Registered
319 Posts
I didn't feel dissed--I'm just as frustrated as you guys are! I had time off at Christmas to get this work done to post on New Year's but the guests, sponsors and venues didn't seem to want to work on *my* schedule! Now I'm in the budget building time at work doing 10 and 11 hour days, 6 days last week...and workin' on the 'Fest at night. Last week Dave Hodge came back from a day at his Zoo job--where he literally had to throw himself on the back of a tiger that was waking up too early from anesthesia--and work on the 'Fest!!!

The reality is that we all have demanding, real jobs and we're not the spring chickens we were when we started all this. I was 32 on the first one and I'm turning 50 this year. Where did the time (and my hair) go? I had a lot more capacity for getting by on 4 hours of sleep back then. Dave Hodge and I both had major health issues over the past year, and Dave Conover has a new baby girl and is finding "free" time for the 'Fest a little harder to come by of late.

The good news that I can share from my experiences is that it seems like the best years are the hardest ones in the "birthing" stage--kinda like the even numbered Trek films. Everyone has good energy and optimism and we're making some changes I think the modelers will really respond to in the contest. Some enthusiastic new staffers are coming aboard to take over the charity raffle/auction and make & take. WF is hard work and some folks burn out or need a break.

The dealer response this year has been phenomenal too, so start saving your pocket change.

I promise right here that most of the ON-LINE FLYER will be up this weekend. It's right around the corner and nearly all of the surprises will be revealed.

Thanks again for the passion and loyalty to the show. It keeps me going to know that you're watching and care about what I do and what my friends who now run the show are doing.

Lee

·
Registered
726 Posts
Thanks for the info Lee.I love this show and would'nt miss it for the world.

·
Never lost for words
2,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
TAY666 said:
Lee, just to be clear.

I was not dissing you or your work.
Just reminding people that these things take time and are rarely completed when we wish they would be.
I have no doubt things are compicated and take time.
We still have over 3 months until the big event.

It just shows how popular the show is. So many people so curious about what will be going on this year.
Ditto on what Trev said.

I mean I'd want to go just knowing that there's a possibility that Dave Metzner might buy me a beer.

Jim
(still patiently waiting)

·
Registered
298 Posts
Well being a "relative" newbie in this board. (at least a couple of years here) I am now located a little more easterly than before. Was wondering where and when WF is? As I am in Memphis now it just might be possible to attend.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts