Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's getting close to that time of year.
WF is less than 2 months away.
Lots of newbies will be going, and we get a lot of questions on the boards about what they should do, or see, or whatever.

So I thought I would put together a page.
A sort of walk through for the first time attendee.

Now it is done from my perspective, but I tried to keep it general enough that it should be able to apply to just about any modeler going to the show.
That said. If you see anything wrong, or have some suggestions on things to add, or change. Please feel free to voice them. Either here, or privately. Not guaranteeing that I will use the ideas. But I will consider all of them.
http://www.tylisaari.com/models/shows/wffaq/wfhelp.htm

·
Registered
309 Posts
I may have an extra room reserved at WF if anyone is interested in taking it off my hands. I'll check for sure tomorrow.

DaQueen

·
Premium Member
3,930 Posts
Thanks for the write-up Tay, I can't go but it was almost like being there reading your description. Um,.. the Lizzard Lounge and the pizza were of particular interest !! :tongue: :)

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
Great primer for WonderFest, TAY666! If I may be so bold to add to what you've got?

Friday is SciFi University, sponsored by Federation Models and CultTVman. It starts Friday morning and runs til the afternoon - around 9am to 4pm, I think? It's a great experience, from all accounts, and highly worth the money to sit down w/folks who've earned Gold and Silver at numerous WonderFests and learn from them. And all you pay is $25 for the class.

Prior to the Lizard Lounge event on Friday night is the Unofficial Ugly Shirt Friday event which starts at about 4pm to 7pm in the hotel lounge - right next to where the Lizard Lounge event will be held. Wear an Ugly Shirt (generally speaking, something of a Hawaiian Print cut, tho it doesn't have to be all flowery), come up and introduce yourself to the crowd, ask for Griff and I'll buy ya a libation of your choice. We hang out and get primed for the Lizard Lounge. Ladies get a free drink whether they're wearin' an Ugly Shirt or not. :D

Saturday night is the Unofficial Pool & Pizza Party and Swap Meet, which starts pretty much any time after the Dealers Room closes up outside on the pation adjacent to the pool, but not at pool side. It started out as a meeting spot for the Starship Modeler crowd and sort of evolved. At some point in the evening - usually around 7pm-ish - there's the Resin Drop, wherein several GKM folks drop "seconds" (castings unfit for sales) on a table then step back and count their fingers to make sure they didn't lose something in the frenzy that ensues. LOTS of goodies to be found on that table, should you be brave enough to try and forage it's surface. The wear of Personal Protective Equipment is highly recommended by OSHA. :lol:

Anyhow, the Unofficial Pool & Pizza Party and Swap Meet runs 'til... whenever. There are usually people there 'til at least Midnight or even later sometimes. I was there w/about a dozen fellas one night 'til 2am. :freak:

Sunday evening after the Dealers Room is closed and the big trucks are all packed up is the Alternative Dining Experience. Some of us choose not to go to the official WonderFest Banquet - not for any personal reasons against the Staff, however! - and head out to a restaurant. It's gotten to where it's almost out of hand, tho. Last year they said they had around 50 folks attend. Crazy, man! First time I went in 2004 there were maybe 20 of us. In '05 there were roughly 30!

Overall, tho, WonderFest is an experience, as you say. It's not just about the models, or the seminars or even the people. It's the sum of the entire event. You can't just go for one day and Get It. You've got to experience the entire weekend! Each person gets something different from it and definitely don't be afraid to go up and introduce yourself! :thumbsup:

·
Lifetime Quacka
1,725 Posts
Thanks for the post. This is my first year too. I am looking forward to the whole weekend and this at least gives me an idea of what the dealer room layout is and how many things are happening at one time. Much appreciated and hope to put some faces to the names! You (Tay666) look comfortable on that couch.

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah.
Unfortunately with the ongoing renovatins at the hotel the couch has been replaced (moved?). The one there last year wasn't nearly as comfortable.
It's also not as much fun now that I can't smoke in the lobby and have to step out into the courtyard to smoke now.

Oh man. How could I forget about ugly shirt night?!?
I've never participated, but I know many who do.
Maybe it's because I have never actually been in the hotel bar.
(I know, a shocking thing to hear from a WF veteran. And it's not because I don't drink, because I enjoy a little taste as much as the next guy. But with my underage daughter, it just hasn't been feasable)

I know about the patio gathering and keep meaning to drop by, though it never seems to happen. I think I will make an extra effort to interject myself into that crowd this year.
But I tried not to mention any specific gatherings. I figure this FAQ will be up for a while and things tend to change and evolve over the years. By not being too specific I avoid having outdated or incorrect info.
Example:
I used to love movies in Cult's suite. But it seems to have died out the last couple years. He and the guys are now speinding more time in the lounge with the rest of the crowd.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
This will be my first year attending as well. I have for many years attended the Toledo Toy Show, held in Maumee Ohio. It's two very large dealer rooms, tons of people and opens at 8am the second Sunday of every March. Making a fast paced "walk around" to see whats there is a tested and proven tatic. When I first started going I spent all my money before I saw the whole show. Afterwords, I did the walk around to plan out what I was going to buy, made it much easier and the money lasted longer (not much though :))

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
I strongly recommend the the early bird admission for the dealer room, there were a couple of kits I would have missed last year without it.

It's also nice if you aren't real crazy about crowds, when they open the doors to general admission on Saturday morning, it gets pretty packed.

Otherwise, great guide :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
TAY666 said:
I used to love movies in Cult's suite. But it seems to have died out the last couple years. He and the guys are now speinding more time in the lounge with the rest of the crowd.
I beg to differ... I've been the AV nerd the last couple of years and we've had pretty good turn outs. Steve usually has the person he sponsors up to the room one night to share stories. Last year it was Yavonne Craig and she was a riot talking about Adam West, Burt Ward and William Shatner. Other years he's had Kristen up to the room, David Hedison passed, and who knows with Robert Picardo. We usually watch movies or TV shows of the guests that are appearing and Steve usually has some surprises for us too. Keep your ears open and plan on attending if you get a chance.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
And don't forget, if you will be spending alot of money that you may not be able to bring everything you bought home yourself. In that case you will have to send some of it home to yourself on sunday which is just more money...

·
Lifetime Quacka
1,725 Posts
Roland said:
And don't forget, if you will be spending alot of money that you may not be able to bring everything you bought home yourself. In that case you will have to send some of it home to yourself on sunday which is just more money...
I was thinking about that earlier cause I am driving in a small car. So you CAN actually mail something on a Sunday? USPS or UPS or Fed Ex? Guess I should check that out on a site. I need backup in case I buy something big. Either that or take the money and rent a bigger car for a couple of days.

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Duck Fink said:
I was thinking about that earlier cause I am driving in a small car. So you CAN actually mail something on a Sunday? USPS or UPS or Fed Ex? Guess I should check that out on a site. I need backup in case I buy something big. Either that or take the money and rent a bigger car for a couple of days.
I've never used it. But the hotel has some kind of shipping service set up for just such a situation. Lots of people fly and can't carry their stuff home with them.
I don't know the details, but I am sure someone else will be along with the info.

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
rossjr said:
I beg to differ... I've been the AV nerd the last couple of years and we've had pretty good turn outs. Steve usually has the person he sponsors up to the room one night to share stories. Last year it was Yavonne Craig and she was a riot talking about Adam West, Burt Ward and William Shatner. Other years he's had Kristen up to the room, David Hedison passed, and who knows with Robert Picardo. We usually watch movies or TV shows of the guests that are appearing and Steve usually has some surprises for us too. Keep your ears open and plan on attending if you get a chance.
Good to know.
I must keep missing these things.
I was going more from the perspective of late night Saturdays.
I remember the good old days of the projector out on the balcony.
With the room packed with people giving the movies the MSTK treatment.

Heck, last year, I don't even know if we found Cult's suite as it wasn't in it's normal place.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
I never used the shipping service myself because I have always driven. All I can say is that there is a convenient shipping service set up across the hall from the main floor dealer room on sunday that alot of people use.

Roland

1 - 20 of 24 Posts