Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my umpteenth time to build our favorite old Wolfman. I've been working on this fellow on and off for a long time now. Trying to do something different from the old brown wolfman with human fleshy face. What i have going looks good, but i can't get the face to look right. I am doing a black base color for the body and face, dark grey dry brush on the fur, less heavy medium grey, then some brown, then some tan, and to top it off a light grey dry brush, almost a white on the fur. When i black out the face and begin to brush the greys on it lightly.... i always get to a point that it's overdone and almost blends with the fur. The eyes look great to me, i've done a pinkish fleshy inner lower eye lid. yellow eyes, red irises, black pupils but have not put the focal point in yet. Ok friends and fellow obsessive painters, close your eyes, put on your virtual modeling hat and help me finish this puppy! :) Speaking of which, one last detail on the face, i want the end of the nose to have that black dog nose look to it. Come on Frank Villa, git in here man! ;) Any help would be appreciated!

Cliff in Dallas:wave:

·
Registered
483 Posts
Washes my friend use washes , also use a different size brush when drybrushing and masking off areas help alot , and if your going for a different look make it look like the curse of the werewolf stlye light gray fur with alot of highlighting . Oh and some pics would be nice .

Robert

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Old "noob" never posted pics to the site before....

I will have to play with that later tonight or in the next day or so. I've not had much luck taking pics of my kits, none that i like anyway. :confused:

·
Registered
230 Posts
For the wet dog nose look, (one I'm familiar with) just paint the nose gloss black. When it dries, brush on a dab of model master clear parts cement. I use this stuff in mouths and eyes, which gives a nice glossy look

Attachments

·
Registered
655 Posts
Aurorafan:

Why would you apply the clear parts cement if the paint is already gloss black?
(Just to let you know, I'm not familiar with Model Master clear parts cement, so maybe there's a quality to it in this application that I then wouldn't know).

·
Premium Member
6,010 Posts
Testors Clear Gloss is the shiniest in my book. But pictures are worth a thousand words, Nut! Posts some, even though you're not happy with your Wolfie as he is now - it's almost impossible to help you paint it with only a few lines of text to go by.

Mark McG.

·
Premium Member
6,010 Posts
Frankie,

To enlarge upon Zorro's remark :rolleyes::

Future Acrylic Floor Polish, which is now a Pledge brand, has almost the consistency of water. It can be applied with a hand brush and is thin enough that it self-levels very well, so you don't have to worry about brush marks showing. You can also apply Future through an airbrush without the need for thinning.

On large areas it's easy to apply too much - for me, at any rate - so that it runs or collects in crevices. If that happens you might be able to wick the excess away with the corner of a paper towel. Otherwise you could wash the wet Future off with soap and water, with which you'll clean your bristle or airbrush. If the Future dries completely - it should be given at least 24 hours before you handle the model - and you find a problem, it can be removed with household ammonia.

Future can be applied over both oil-based and acrylic finishes.

Mark McG.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Frankie-

For me, the clear cement takes the shine up a notch. On eyes, (and I guess noses) it adds a gooey clear layer I like. The acryl clear coats work just as well. Also handy if you happen to be out of a gloss color. As a bonus, the narrow applicator tip on the clear cement is very convenient- no brush to clean.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Got'er done!

Finally finished painting the old boy this weekend! Haven't clear coated the eyes or nose yet, but i'll do that in a day or so. The face was such a challenge to me, not sure why. I've done the brown guy many times over and wanted a different look with the blacks and grays. It was a real beating for me, kind of like Algebra! ;) After painting the entire face black again, i went over it GENTLY with dark gray dry brush. It lit things up a bit, but not enough for my taste. I let it dry and then went over it one more time with a mix of the same dark gray and a tiny bit of white, this time i FINALLY got what i was after. I then went over the facial hair and eye brows with the same color dry brushing i did on all the other fur. Had to re-touch bits of the eyes a total of 8 times to finally get them right and put the focal points in the pupils. YEAH!!! DONE!!! FINALLY!!! I will TRY to take pics, but no promises. My kits are kind of like Bigfoot, not very photogenic, at least in my estimation. THANKS FOR ALL YOU YOUR HELP AND SUGGESTIONS GUYS!

Cliff :wave:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts