Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Wolcott Hobbies in Connecticut is expanding!

We are going to be building a separate 1/10th electric off-road track behind the nitro track during the next few weeks. I'm going to be holding some Saturday races, under a laid back relaxing atmosphere. I'm really hoping to get some novice classes going for the beginners, kids and hopefully some wives or girlfriends too, as well as some 4wd and a little bit of truck or buggy.

I plan on making simpler layouts, with smaller jumps to reduce breakage, increase speed, and produce more driver vs. driver racing instead of driver vs. track. Also, I'm going to plant grass around the track. The grass will slow the cars down, but still allow the cars to get back onto the track surface without having to get off the drivers stand and also reduce turn marshal efforts. The grass will also reduce dust, keep track moisture more consistent, and look nice for magazine articles.

The ultimate goal is to provide an affordable way for people to get started into the hobby. Today's electric novice racers could be next seasons 1/8th buggy racers. As long as we keep focusing on helping beginners get into r/c, all the classes will flourish! Please help me, Wolcott Hobbies, and the hobby in general by letting others know where to go to get a start into r/c racing.

These are the classes that will be run...

Novice class - Truck, buggy or 4wd, sealed end bell mabuchi/johnson stock motor, $5 race entry fee. (Novice class eligible at race director’s discretion, that means no cheap sandbaggers!)

Amateur class - Truck, buggy or 4wd, 27 turn Stock motor or 13.5 turn brushless motor, 7.2v Nicd/Nimh battery, $10 race entry fee.

2wd Professional class - Truck, buggy, any motor, up to 7.4v lipo battery, $15 race entry fee.

4wd Professional class - 4wd buggy, any motor, up to 7.4v lipo battery, $15 race entry fee.

There will be Track bucks for top finishing positions; amounts will be based on class turnouts.

Thanks,
Mark Westerfield

http://www.wolcotthobby.com

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
RC Driver Magazine novice class prize pack!

RC Driver Magazine will be giving a prize pack to the winner of the first race each month in the novice class! This prize pack includes a RC Driver t-shirt, a sticker sheet, and a voucher for 3 free issues of RC Driver Magazine!

Thanks for the support RC Driver Magazine!

Mark Westerfield

http://www.wolcotthobby.com

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Saturday April 28th, starting at 11 am.

We are looking for volunteers to help us get the electric track surface finished this Saturday, April 28th starting at 11 am. We could use some help moving a few rocks, nailing down pipe (until the grass grows in), planting grass seeds, and shaping the table tops, jumps and banked corners. There will be hot dogs, hamburgers, and drinks for the volunteers. I recommend bringing gloves and maybe some boots as the weather is calling for a 50% chance of rain on Friday, so it might be a little muddy (but perfect for grass seed).

It will be a great opportunity to get a sneak peek into what I have planned for this project.

Thanks in advanced for the support,

Mark Westerfield

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Here are some pictures of the electric track. The black pipe will only be there untill the grass grows in. Once the grass grows in, we will put rounded concrete curbs on the inside apexes of the corners marked with red and white paint (F1 track style).

Electric track pictures

Mark

1 - 4 of 4 Posts