Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We've been waiting for our local WM to clearance out the ancient SF cars that have been clogging all of its JL pegs for years, so they could finally free up some space for the new releases. (Don't worry, SF fans; these are all old, old, boring cars that even the most dedicated SF buyers don't want. Nothing good left, trust me.)

Well, tonight I stopped by, and the new set-ups are completed, and lo & behold, there are bright yellow "CLEARANCE" signs on all of the over-stuffed JL SF pegs! At last - but wait a minute - the "clearance" price is $3.24 each - which has been their regular price since they went up from $2.99 last year!! (The "WAS" Price area of each sign was left blank.)

I just had to shake my head and laugh. I don't know what it is with my nearest WM and JL SFs and Pokers (of which they have pegs and pegs full, still $4.24 each and by now getting all raggedy) - they just won't admit defeat and move on!

Strangely enough, the new JL Precision pegs are in the next aisle over. They have been selling well; there were only a couple of Pony Power and Johnny Retro cars left tonight, which were all cars that I already own.

·
Premium Member
13,377 Posts
Did you use the price checker to make sure the price was $3.24 or $4.24?

My local WAL*MART had a few Chevy Thunder clearanced at $1.00 tonight. I bought only a car (the '57 'Vette). I couldn't go home empty handed. :p

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
STUTZ said:
Did you use the price checker to make sure the price was $3.24 or $4.24?

My local WAL*MART had a few Chevy Thunder clearanced at $1.00 tonight. I bought only a car (the '57 'Vette). I couldn't go home empty handed. :p
Nope - I didn't think of it, mainly since I wasn't that interested in buying any of them anyway. I just want the peg space used for something more interesting and desirable. I'll scan some next time I'm there. I did notice that none of the "clearance" JLs had those little red & white price stickers on them that all of the other clearance items at our WM have. That's why I assumed that the signs were accurate. None of the other hundreds of clearance items had the yellow signs either, just the JLs. It was weird.

Congratulations on your '57 Corvette for $1. The most recent Chevy Thunder release that my WM put out was, uh, Release 1, although someone did return a bronze '59 Impala from Rel. 3 a few months ago.

I'm pretty sure that some of the yellow Corvettes from Rel. 1 are still there. I'll scan those, too, when I have time to stop by. One of those might manage to ease me out of $1.

·
Premium Member
13,377 Posts
When it doubt, always use the price checker BluntFronts. Sometimes the surprise is a lower price than you expected.

·
Registered
10,947 Posts
Every time I have used the price checker in my area latley, the cars have not scaned. Like the TRU Gold car at WM, it said see help, when I ask for it, they came and took the car out of my hand, and off the shelfs!!!

So yesterday, at a different store, same thing but see said I could have them for $4.50....uh, no thanks. But point being that I have seen some old stock in some stores at the $3.25, but allmost all ( even the OOOOLLLDD) stock is still at $4.25.

Yep, you read that right...Clue cars at $4.25......go figure!

·
Registered
12,344 Posts
I scanned some old cars at my local Walmart, it came up "See an associate for help". So I took one to a register, they rang up $3.24. Back it went. :wave: Sometimes it works out though.

On the clearance note, I've heard that some stores are notoriously slower than others to clearance items. If it was Target, those cars would have been long gone. WM must have a different formula for inventory aging!

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Don't feel bad...

... I collect the 21st Century WWII aircraft. They cearanced the 1/48th scale planes down to $10... from $9.87!!!!

·
Old School Dinosaur
2,130 Posts
:tongue: "Watch out for Falling Prices" :tongue:

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
Sometimes, you have to wonder if the in-store inventory control system
at each Walmart store has some control of pricing.
I have seen several WMs in the same city have widely varying prices on
the same product. And not just diecast.
The last time I checked, the Poker cars and some other old, very old JLs
still had NOT the prices reduced. I routinely scan some of this stuff now
just to see. Sometimes, I think that it should just be thrown in the garbage.

Cheers. Cobra

·
Banned
10,696 Posts
Was lucky enough to hit a WM this afternoon just as they put two cases of older Streat Freaks out in "Clearance". Not a white in either case, and the price checker showed $3.24...... clearance, right :rolleyes:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts