Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good afternoon guys, I've been reading about boiling and dying a chassis for racing. What's the purpose for doing this? What's the method for doing this? Any kind of special dye I need to use??? How long to boil???

Any and all help would be appreciated. Brian :thumbsup:

·
Registered
55 Posts
Hi TX,

I have played with this after reading a few other threads on other boards.

It's supposed to straighten a warped chassis and harden them, I believe the dye is to make a smooth less porous surface for gears, axles, etc.

I used a coffee can on a hotplate to do mine. I built a surface plate for the bottom and a plate for the top with approx. 2 lbs. of lead. This sandwiches the chassis and gear plate assy. between them. I put axles in all the holes, including through the arm plate where the arm and rear gears are. I boiled the water, unplugged the hotplate and let cool slightly. Then put the whole assembly in and left it in until the water/dye had cooled to room temperature.

For dye, I used some fabric liquid dye I had laying around. I know in the thread I read (hey I'm a poet!), that others mentioned specific dyes, but don't remember what they were.

Don't know if it did any good or not, but so far I've won a few races on the "HOSER" schedule!

If I get time some evening, I will try to take a few pictures of my crude setup and post.

I'm sure I stand corrected by someone else in the know!

Hope this helps,
Warren
www.slotcars.org/hosers

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
The theory with the boiling is that it allows the plastic to return to the orientation that it had immediately after coming out of the mold, before it ended up under a pile of other chassis while still warm, causing slight warpage. Sounds reasonable. May as well throw a bay leaf or some mint in the water so at least it will smell better when it comes out of the water.

The dying part is a total mystery to me but I'm not a polymer scientist. I do notice that at shows where people sell dyed chassis they usually have them labeled "hardened" in quotes as if they're saying "yeah, hardened ... wink wink." The dye job does make them look cool, so why not dye them while you boil them.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts