Hobbyist Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am sure this has been discussed before but I could not find anything on it. I just got a new Keyence Speed Control and it came with what looks to be 16 gauge wire. My first thought was to ditch it and put some 12 gauge on but after thinking about it why would they put that gauge of wire on there to begin with. Anyway I would like to no what some of the experts out there think. :hat:

Bob Cole

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
most new speedos are efficient enough to allow for smaller guage wire...

the wat i was told by a speedo manufacturer back in the day is this... after the race check the temp of your wires.. if the wires get hot, then they are not efficient... if the wire stays cool then there isnt alot of resistance..... resistance is heat... so think of it like this...

take 200 amps and push it through 14 guage wire... it will ge warm...
now push 200 through 10 guage.. in theory it should flow through better with less resistance and less heat....

but if your speedo is rated at whatever ratings, smaller guage may be good enough to handle the rated power.... if keyance uses 14 guage which i thinkit is, i would stik with that...

what class do u run?? .. this is how it was explained to me. so i hope i typed it so u understand... later

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
Seems like a good simple method, I just noticed on another thread about the new Novak ESC that it comes with 14 awg. with a note that 12 awg can be used. I use 12 on cyclone running 8 to 9 turns and the wires don't get hot.

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
Also i forgot to mention.. using thicker guage wire, doesnt let more power flow through.... it just does it more efficiently... the speedo will put out its rated power no matter what.. its just a matter of how efficient it does this

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I would suggest at least a #14 wire. It's like trying to put too much water pressure through too small a pipe. Use a bigger pipe requires less pressure to get the same amout of water through in the same period of time. If the wire heats up, like your motor, the resistance of the wire increases with temperature. So the wire ends up using some of the voltage. Like trying to make water roll uphill. If you run stock or 19T, use #14. If you run open mod, use #12. Only because the bigger wire is also heavier and weight eats up horsepower that you can't afford to loose in the stock classes. If the wire heats up and makes more resistance then you loose current flow to the wire. Just like there is a voltage drop across the servo, there is a voltage drop across the wire, and that means less volts to the motor. The is no power in the wire, only current flow. Power is the work that is performed by the motor.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Although you could say there is power in the wire. P power= I (current) squaredX R resistance. But you wouldn't want the wire to make power. It would take away from the motor.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Thanks to everyone for there comments. I went with 14 gauge wire and run it last night with no problems. I run stock and the wire never even got warn. :thumbsup:

I almost forgot this is a great speed control. I purchased it through Lefthander-RC, check them out. Jeff is great to deal with and he has a good selection of items. :roll:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts