Hobbyist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ran into a mental block working on my latest build...meaning my brain was gonna explode unless I took a 'little break.

I decided on a vintage Airfix Kit. The AutoGyro from "You Only Live Twice"

It's straightforward buld, and it's a fine example of Airfix's fine molding and attention to detail.

Steve

·
Registered
6,776 Posts
I guess Broccoli used up all his budget building the volcano. Still that's pretty cool!

Are you going to do the Army Air Corp version?

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
No it's gotta be Little Nellie, Even Wing CommanderKenWallis (the inventor-pilot) Was doing airshows all over the world with the aircraft dressed up as Little Nellie...lol
The movie also had to pay to repair the ancient castle where the Ninja scene was shot. Seems the pyrotechnics did a bit of damage to the walls....

Seems to be carrying it's own weight in sponsor stickers....

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
It's a great kit apart from the rocket launchers which need work to make accurate. I think they were originally designed to fire using a rubber band or a spring.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Yes, for about a second I considered making them work...added play value you see,..lolI've got to dig up some multiple rocket pod ends and the shape of the helmet cam is wrong...but that's easy..I've got pics of that in the camera..
Need to drill out a few lightening holes that the kit merely does in relief..

Then, Bond, James Bond's helmet needs a bit of work. I'm removing the crosshatched area.

This build forces me to watch a James Bond movie for accuracy...the horror..lol.

Steve

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Well, leave it to me to create a problem that wasn't there to begin with.My next photobuild will use TWO kits(always need a stunt double). I should have done a teeny bit of pre-assembly.

Remember the pic of me drilling out a bulkhead with the microdrill?. Well, that part goes back to back with the bulkhead I reamed three BIG holes with a dremel...DOH! (The holes Should match/line up.)
Ok, I attempt to fix my boo-boo while the part is freshly glued together...bad idea.

Ok, I got that fixed as well as some glaring mold seams..Tonight I'll carefully re-bore the holes.....lol

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It was waay too wet and cold to shoot silver paint yesterday, this morning I put on another coat of silver, to hide all my mistakes..and it gets a few minutes in a warm oven to speed drying/curing.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Thanks! do you have pics of yours? I love the movie..and I don't know why I haven't built it 'til now.The silver paint is a little tough with the humidity we are having here in Denver...I can't remember the time it was ever a problem before...If I can get the paint to cure, and get the yellow on, it will be a downhill run from here...

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
you should post some of the pics over on the Hyperscale Airfix Group Build... Airfix sponsors that page and its non stop airfix building. Lots of cool stuff (someone did a World War I bus...) and the autogyro would be a great addition.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Dave, When you mentioned it earlier..I was giving it some thought...that's not a bad idea! thanks Pal!

I can't remember my old log in/e-mail gotta sign back up ...no problem though..

Steve

·
Oxidation Genius
31,341 Posts
If you can find DK's picture book on James Bond, there's a lovely, huge, two-page foldout photo of Nellie for reference.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks John! I'm looking for it.

I dipped some parts in future this morning(I'm using dissimiliar paints, so I'm trying not to have more problems)..the yellow goes on in a bit.
Steve

·
Oxidation Genius
31,341 Posts
I have one of these kits two, and even after all these years, I'm still afraid of painting gloss yellow.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
try painting it over wally world rattle can silver...I just shot it a while ago and the yellow seems ok, no lifting..

The Tamiya Chrome Yellow is wonderful paint. John; like you I've never been happy spraying gloss yellow before...but this stuff is great.

Steve

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
I'm pretty happy with the project so far...But once again I failed to anticipate a problem.

The problem? Little nellie is a "tail sitter" and where to put the weight?

and there is only ONE place to put the weight. (This would have been less funny and a more elegant solution if I would have anticipated this little problem)..The Figure of Bond, James Bond is hollow(see second pic in the thread). But, I'd already glued filled in the seams and sanded the figure. Solution?

I had to do a little dremel work on the figure. This allowed me to add lead weights to the lower body. I'm not a "perv", but I couldn't figure out any other way to add weight to the figure without tearing it apart....Results?

Little nellie sits on her landing gear properly.
And Mr. Bond?..He's recovering nicely.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
I don't expect you to talk, Mr. Bond..I expect you to add weight..

And of course, like most kit's missiles, you need to drill out the venturis.

First a micro drill to start the hole, and then the dremel to finish it.

Steve

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
"Gold Dremel...it's a tool,..a tool with a reamer's bit, A reamer's bit"..
C'mon,...you know the words!

Causey, Steve Causey

1 - 20 of 57 Posts