Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
3,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to show off the weathering on my TIE. Granted right now, it looks a little raw. The shading needs toning down a tad but I'm very happy with the results so far.

It's done with Testors' light gray Acryl and #2 pencil dust rubbed in with a very stiff brush and my rubbed off with my finger.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I love the effect.
I have some graphite powder (the dry lubricant for locks) think it would give the same effect?

·
Banned
3,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
couldn't hurt.

I just realize how horrid that last pic looks.

Stay tuned.

·
Banned
3,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

There, no flash. That's better.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Man that works really well! Does it come off easily, or do you coat it with something? I'll have to give this a try!

You know, one thing we are ALL doing wrong on these Tie Fighters (and there seems to be an abundancy of them lately!), is the color! I was reading in "Building a Galaxy", a book about all of the prop models, that all of the bad guy ships had a distinct blue shade of grey to them. The guys in the Star
Wars model shop wanted them even bluer, but because that stuff was shot mostly on blue screen back then, they couldn't! They did slip quite a bit of blue in the mix of grey though! The X-Wings and most of the other ships were more of a light gull grey, almost off-white, with weathering. I've been messing with some of the Tamiya grey colors, which are more on the blue side. I have some of the Ertl Tie Fighters I'm going to do in the near future, probably will do them in this color scheme.

Oh, and that stand the FM model comes on, actually looks like the hanging racks that are in the Star Destroyers that the Tie's are deployed from! It would be cool to make a display base simulating the inside of the hangar bay with it suspended awaiting launch!

·
Banned
3,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I can't read Japanese. What's the difference between the top hatches and on what version does the red pentagon appear?

Oh, and to answer your question:

I just scribbled the pencil (hard lead) on a piece of paper and picked up some of the dust by rubbing my fingertip in it and then onto the model. I then brushed some of it away with the stiff-bristled (stencil) brush.

·
Banned
3,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I can't read Japanese. What's the difference between the top hatches and on what version does the red pentagon appear?
would really like to know

·
Banned
3,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
here's more:

·
Banned
3,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
any critiques at all? Positive or negative feedback is always welcome. Looking to hone my skills, y'know?

·
Modeler's Brand
2,376 Posts
Very nice looking! Oily.

·
Banned
3,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
okay so, less oily?

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
I really like how your TIE is coming along. The degree of weathering is really impressive, and your weathering technique is excellent. I learned to do that years ago when I built my second Space:1999 Eagle (Way back in '76).

Just remember to coat it in flat, before you declare it "done".

·
Banned
3,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yup. I saved the stickers for that. I hand pained the windows.

·
Modeler's Brand
2,376 Posts
I like the oily look. Looks like the Alliance has had their hands on it for a time. I guess if you want Imperial, then those were very, very clean though. I like it as is.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts