Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Haven't been real active the last 6 weeks. I heat with wood. Work room is colder than a well diggers butt in February. Just letting y'all know I'm stll knocking round the zoo.

·
Administrator
33,040 Posts
Whenever I hear that phrase about well diggers I always ask the man saying it when he dug wells. Havent run across one who did dig wells. So you know the next question coming was -

So. How exactly is it that you know - how cold a well diggers bottom is - in February? (Pause) Do you take your gloves off first?

·
Registered
5,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My house has a 56' deep hand dug well under the back porch. It hasn't been used since it was contaminated by the pest control people back in 1976. But the water is around 50 degrees F at that depth. Couple that with being wet and muddy in a 56' deep hole in the ground and I believe I may have discovered THE WORST job one could have in the 1920's. You can still see the spade marks on the wall of the well. It's creepy. I've never dug a hole by hand that was 56' deep..I have gone down 6' looking for an old gold mine tunnel that was said to have been in my old neighborhood in Charlotte. I was a kid and that was a chore. But I knew a man who knew the man that dug this well. He varified a well diggers butt did get cold in February. lol.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts