Hobbyist Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting back into R/C oval racing after a 13 year abcense. WAY back when, everybody ran wings on the back of the stock cars. I now see pics of cars with no wing, but a bigger spoiler. Are wings still used? is it take your pick? is there an advantage either way?

·
Registered
6,711 Posts
Wings are pretty much standard these days.

The only tracks I have seen no wing is Sandhills (large banked track) in the stock class only and some short bullring flat tracks I have seen guys not run em.

The wings stabilize the car. and personally I feel it makes it more consistent in the turns as well.

If you are worried about drag run a wing and cut the spoiler down to 1/4" - 1/2"

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Erock. I'm not for or against anything, I'm just trying to find out what the common way is these days. We used to run the wings back in the day, I just wasn;t sure what they were doing now. I'd hate to show up at a big race (hoping to do so in the future) with my car one way, and find out it had to be the other.

The track I just found runs all the cars with spoilers - almost an inch tall. But this is a little isolated track, so I wanted to find out what was up i nthe "real" world.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Q-ball said:
I'm getting back into R/C oval racing after a 13 year abcense. WAY back when, everybody ran wings on the back of the stock cars. I now see pics of cars with no wing, but a bigger spoiler. Are wings still used? is it take your pick? is there an advantage either way?
Well it will all depends on which class and the track. In most cases stock will usally run just a spoiler while in 19 turn it would be more dependant on the track, and modified is usally run with a wing. You will find guys the run wings and only spoilers in the same class and are very equal. In those cases its more on you feel and setup on your car.

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
we run wings in evry class exept bush. which is a fun /spec class... everywhere i have ever raced carpet we ran wings. in stock 19 turn and mod.... i have heard of some tracks not suing them, but im not sure why not.. they are definatlet a performance enhancer, and as erock said the car is more consistent... our wingless class record is 45 laps.. and our winged stock is 47 4:00... over two laps faster.. and some of the guys run both classes...

·
Registered
96 Posts
Q-ball,welcome back. I am in the same boat,attempting to come back after a LONG layoff from oval racing. Technology has changed so quick that I have been out in the woods for quite a while. One thing I will say is it doesn't hurt to listen to people here like erock as he has won a couple of races,,,,,,lol. I am just waiting to hear if our track is going to run or not,,,,,,negotiating with the landlord. Trust me I'm more anxious than a 3 year old in a candy store to get back to racing oval.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Where in Michigan

Slowpoke,

Where in Michigan are you? I lived in Lansing back when I was racing before. We ran Lansing, Battle Creek, and Saginaw mostly.

Where is the track you were talking about?

Q-ball

·
Registered
96 Posts
Q-ball,,,,,I am waiting to hear on the Lansing track. Nick is in negotiations with the landlord was the last we heard. Last I knew battle creek wasn't doing much and saginaw I am not sure about. Mount Pleasant is going strong from what I hear but I have never been there. I may have to make the trip so that I can get racing,lol. I don't know anyone there so it might make it a little hectic,trying to dive back into oval and yet not knowing anyone up there,,,,,oh well. Like I say Q welcome back,,I know I can't wait.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nick??????

I know Nick! I used to work at the hobby hub. My name is Scot Quintel, ask Nick about it, or John. Where are they racing in Mount Pleasant?

How long have you been racing, if quite awhile I may know you.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
I've been using only spoilers for years now but the taller ones work best. I run on small tight tracks against cars with wings and I'm right there with them. I use 25-30 rear tires and 30-40 front tires. Have the steering turn down as low as possible also helps.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
I,ve gotten away with running just a spoiler on carpet/foams but dont forget the wing on caps! I have and it wasnt pretty :lol:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts