Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a dell.256 mb ddr ram 40g harddrive, etc..
i need to make a back up disk.
i have norton 2005, i have run a scan before making back up,no viruses
how do i know for sure there are no viruses and what files do i need to copy
i had a problem with an intrusion and i wont to make sure my comp is 100%
virus free be fore i make a back up
thanks for any help

·
Registered
6,776 Posts
These days typical back-ups are data only. Information you can't afford to lose in the event of a hard drive failure.

On my PC this would include documents and Quicken files. And that's it.

You could try backing up just the "My Documents" folder, but usually this is too large to make backing up practical.

Any software (programs) you use should be available for reinstall from their source disks. If you don't have the source disks then you've got a problem: knowing what individual files and folders to backup is virtually impossible. You'd need to back up the entire hard drive.

Of a 40 gig disk, the typical user has 10gig used (unless you're into videos stored on your hard drive). 10gig is a challenge to back up. Your average CD-R holds 700mb (0.7gig) so it'd take over 14 CD-R's to hold everything.

Determining your PC is 100% free of viruses is only as good as your anti-virus software. There's no way to guarantee this.

Consider what it would take to wipe the hard drive (format) and reinstall everything. Most consider this task too daunting, but it's the only way to ensure you really have cleaned off all the bad stuff.

One of the first things you should re-install after windows is your anti-virus software (and make sure its definitions file is up to date) before installing or copying back any other files. Otherwise you may just copy back the virus that had you doing this in the first place.

Otherwise just trust that Norton is doing its job.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts