Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
In my other hobbies like coins and stamps, an error means an increase of price. I got the car out of a 10 pack and is now loose so the price decreases. Many factors, condition and rarity. A 1989 half dollar is worth 50 cents, but if has a rotated reverse it is worth $5 to $10. I have 2 rotated halves in my collection that I found in the wild. Everyone does not collect errors, but to the right person (an error collector) will pay a premium.

·
Registered
5,308 Posts
Actually the value of cars in multipacks is kinda hard to establish since the packs are easy to fake. Most values are reflected as loose cars, so I wouldn't necessarily say the value of the cars removed from them decreases. You might find collectors willing to take a chance and pay more for ones in packs, but I'd advise a thorough inspection with an expert. Even if the packs look unopened, there are very good forgers and the chances you have customs in them still exists.

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
Great eye in noticing the window being pushed in.

IMHO, For most Collectors that isn't an Error as all it is, is a pushed in window when being
connected but Errors are more desired when you have something like the photo below.

I love how people talk about Tampo's too and how they have something really rare
when it's missing something or misplaced on the Car.

Tampo's that are missing are too easy to duplicate and IMHO are not a Error
when today all you have to do is go to Walmart and buy chemicals to unpack
the Cars and fake a Error for resale. I only pick up Cars that are wrong like
the photo above when I can see the bottom being not tampered with by drilling
and filling afterwards.

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
Does it make it worth more?
Error's are only worth what a person is willing to spend for them.

I sold a .97c VW Bug that had a Tampo Error that I pulled from a
sealed Case to a VW Collector that really wanted the Car and he
paid $55 for it as the Car got into a bidding war on eBay.
I was happy :)

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
That is definitely a cool ERROR. It doesn't matter whether a car has mismatched wheels, riveted badly, missing parts, or etc. ANY type of manufacturing issue that makes it to the public is an error. Great eye!!!!

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
I only buy errors that I find on the pegs since this is the only guaranty that it is real and the fact that I am the one who found it makes it valuable to me. I myself wouldn't by an error on the secondary market at all.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Great eye in noticing the window being pushed in.

IMHO, For most Collectors that isn't an Error as all it is, is a pushed in window when being
connected but Errors are more desired when you have something like the photo below.

I love how people talk about Tampo's too and how they have something really rare
when it's missing something or misplaced on the Car.

Tampo's that are missing are too easy to duplicate and IMHO are not a Error
when today all you have to do is go to Walmart and buy chemicals to unpack
the Cars and fake a Error for resale. I only pick up Cars that are wrong like
the photo above when I can see the bottom being not tampered with by drilling
and filling afterwards.
That could easily be faked as well.

Many good fakers take two cars and drill through the top of the rivits to preserve the bottom of the rivits. The other car is drilled from the bottom, faked and the bottoms of the other rivits are attached to the "error" with JB Weld and it looks perfectly legit.

·
Registered
5,308 Posts
Which brings me to my original point. Thoroughly inspect any error you plan to buy from a secondary market source or buy only those you pull from a fresh case, since there have been cases where fakes have been introduced into the retail market by idiots with too much time on their hands.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
We're talking Hotwheels here right? Not Rolex watches. It still amazes me how far some will go just to make a few bucks. I guess everyone needs a hobby to keep busy. :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts