Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just finished this little gem. (AKA worst model nightmare since the Lincoln Futura)

I used up some leftover lacquer rattle cans. The decals were too old and shredded upon contact with the plastic.

Pictures look OK. Just don't look too close!

couple more.........

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Used some R/C red tape for the destroyed decals, painted the inside surface of the windows clear blue, and added some tiny scale fence for the base.

Now lavish in its awesomeness! (Glad to be done with this pup)

:tongue:

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
What year release is this? I've got a couple of'em and am wondering if my decals will give me the same problems. Mine are from '96.

I think I'm going to sand all the revit detail off. Seems to me a rocket should be smooth skined. Sure would make it easier to deal with seams I would think.

I really like the idea of the blue canopy glass. Sure would help hide the almost nonexistent interior! And it looks good too.

Yeah, some of those oldies from that eara sure do make you work for it. :freak:

hal9001-

·
Registered
633 Posts
I did this kit back in the late '90's and is remember that the decals were a nightmare as well, they would not lay down or adhere or just fell apart on me But, still it is a interesting design and concept.

John Davis
AZbuilder

Let Your imagination Soar

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What year release is this? I've got a couple of'em and am wondering if my decals will give me the same problems. Mine are from '96.

I think I'm going to sand all the revit detail off. Seems to me a rocket should be smooth skined. Sure would make it easier to deal with seams I would think.

I really like the idea of the blue canopy glass. Sure would help hide the almost nonexistent interior! And it looks good too.

Yeah, some of those oldies from that eara sure do make you work for it. :freak:

hal9001-
90's repop. Although I never did the original, it "felt" inner-child to do this one. Plastic is thin as paper. Alignment pins are totally off and needed removing.

I love the picture of Willey Ley on the box art. He looks "Ward Cleaver-ish" in his suit, helping his 50's son with his kit, after a long day at the office!

I'm sure afterward, they watched I Love Lucy, and stocked up supplies in the bomb shelter as mom did dishes..........

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I did this kit back in the late '90's and is remember that the decals were a nightmare as well, they would not lay down or adhere or just fell apart on me But, still it is a interesting design and concept.

John Davis
AZbuilder

Let Your imagination Soar
So the decals were bad from the start. Just got worse with age. 15 years later.
But it was still a fun kit!

:wave:

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
Revell/Monogram decals from the late 80s are totally useless. They are thick, plasticy, do not respond to setting solutions and solvents, and just don't stick. Unfortunately the decals in most/all of the Revell SSP reissues are the same crappy quality. Your best bet if possible is to scan them and reprint them on decal film or even self adhesive paper since the kit decals are not usable.

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Revell/Monogram decals from the late 80s are totally useless. They are thick, plasticy, do not respond to setting solutions and solvents, and just don't stick. Unfortunately the decals in most/all of the Revell SSP reissues are the same crappy quality. Your best bet if possible is to scan them and reprint them on decal film or even self adhesive paper since the kit decals are not usable.
Hindsight 20/20! Oh, well. Got this repop at NNL West in 2010. $15 bucks. What the heck. Lesson learned. Seems like I always learn SOMETHING. With my power loader, it was salt weathering. A big win. Now it's Monogram repop decals are crap. Fail. But I still got educated.
:cool:

·
Registered
633 Posts
It seems in my opinion that most if not all kits of this series have their flaws be it in the molds to the decals. If I were to build one of these kits again of which I have done several, I would scan the decal sheet on to a new sheet and get and use a lot of filler.

AZbuilder
John Davis

Let Your Imagination Soar

1 - 10 of 10 Posts