Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks,Now that this New kit of the Seaview is out and I will pick up 1 or 2 this Friday.I have seen some pictures and it looks good.I'm wondering if this New kit will replace the Aurora Seaview in Quality.In test fitting my Big Flying Sub model the fit is flawless and I assume it be this good on the Moebius Small Seaview.How is the detailing on the Observation Nose on this new kit?Someone please tell me,Thanks Guy Schlicter.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
After you see the Moebius kit, you will give the PL one to your dog to play with...it's a very elegant looking sub, The fit is very good only a "whisper" of filler was needed when I put the hull together,.I'll post side by sides tonight or tomorrow.

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
The Aurora/Polar Lights Seaview still makes a great pool toy. Just let it fill with water, give it a little push and it glides straight and level to the bottom.

As a display model, side-by-side with the small Moebius Seaview, the old one looks like a deformed caricature.

·
Oxidation Genius
31,279 Posts
The Aurora/Polar Lights Seaview still makes a great pool toy. Just let it fill with water, give it a little push and it glides straight and level to the bottom.
OMG, I did that all the time when I was a kid! It would go all the wat across our 20-foot pool before it hit bottom, and I'd follow it along with a diving mask.

The flying sub would do a neat "falling leaf" straight to the bottom!

·
Premium Member
890 Posts

As a display model, side-by-side with the small Moebius Seaview, the old one looks like a deformed caricature.
I did the same thing with the Seaview in the pool but then I got the great idea of displaying it in my dad's aquarium and the toxic glue killed all of his fish! Hey I was only 9 years old and I didn't know! Boy was he mad!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,779 Posts
looks like we all did that. :)

I glued a couple of long, thin lead weights to the inside of the keel, Seaview was a pretty sharp sub under water. I guess it isn't until it's scaled up that the toublesome hydrodynamic issues arise.

And the Flying Sub. That always used to bug me, how it wouldn't 'fly' straight under water, how as soon as 'power' fell below a certain level it would stall, just nose up and 'fall' off the port wing. ALWAYS the left side.

It's funny, there's a shot of the FS on the show (and it got reused any number of times) where it's not on the wire and it does EXACTLY that. Drifts, loses momentum, noses up, falls off the left wing.

Not being wise in such things, I just assumed that part of the problem is the basic shape of the front window area but for the life of me I can't figure out why it ALWAYS falls off the same wing. Is a puzzlement. :)

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Here's a shot of side by side:

The seams needing filling are minimal:

The stbd. side observation window on my copy sank a bit, just enough to pull open the center seam an R.C.H.

·
Registered
5,779 Posts
Wow...day and NIGHT difference, huh?

altho I have to say, the profile of the Aurora Seaview DOES match one of the smaller filming models, that whole 'blue whale forehead bulge' look of the bow area.

All that says to me is that Moebius really should do a 8-window Seaview as a companion piece.

·
Oxidation Genius
31,279 Posts
I'm gonna hafta build the Aurora one with a 1" plug ahead of the sail if I plan on sitting them side-by-side, or it'll look ridiculous.

·
Registered
363 Posts
the old Aurora kit has an undisputable charm...no doubt about it. I say it is pretty good for it's time. The Moebius kit...well, it ROCKS!
Gary:tongue:

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
I think there is plenty of room for these two models to peaceably coexist. The original Aurora/PL kit is a classic, which I believe is complimented nicely by the new Moebius release.

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
I think there is plenty of room for these two models to peaceably coexist. The original Aurora/PL kit is a classic, which I believe is complimented nicely by the new Moebius release.
And it doesn't hurt to acknowledge that, if not for Aurora - Polar Lights, Moebius, Monarch, and indeed this very board never would have seen the light of day. ;)

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
There is a huge but still very subtle difference between the two kits. The Moebius kit is much crisper and has the lines and shapes that we all wanted from the Aurora kit. The bulging fs bay on the 1/128 kit has been pretty much corrected on this kit. In the smaller scale, the nose looks closer to the correct shape when viewed from above, so no correction needed there. The sonar domes are still a little long and a little far back and the prop tubes are still the wrong shape and too far apart.
Fixing the Moebius won't be as much work as fixing the Aurora, but there's still some work to be done, if you're so inclined.
If you're lucky enough to have a PL re-pop kicking around, with a little cutting and filling you can easily replace the Moebius tubes with a more accurate shape (that's the PL below, in black plastic). If you want to convert the Moebius kit into an 8 window version, reshaping the nose and manta fin in this scale and extending the deck would be a snap. You can use your PL clear windows, some fine sandpaper (or Micro Mesh) and plastic polish to shape and clear the new old windows.
With a little work on the Moebius, a little extra work on the PL, you should be able to create the envy of any bathtub fleet from either.
And there's also the wonderful thrill of going into a model shop and discovering a little tiny new Seaview box hidden in the middle of an amazing section of largely Moebius products. Just suddenly back in 7th grade again. You'll never spend a better $25. Thank you again, Moebius!!

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
The two kits are just different in so many ways (not just physical). The PL/Aurora kit was THE Seaview kit for over 40 years. Its a classic in its own right. I had the first and second versions of the Aurora kit as a kid, and to me, that is still "THE" Seaview kit in my collection. On the other hand, the Modebius kit is a model of the real filming miniature. Its very well proportioned, detailed, etc. Overall its an excellent, accurate kit. It compliments the Aurora kit nicely. I wouldn't say it replaces it (for one its the TV sub not the movie sub so they aren't the same sub...). They are just different.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
I understand talking about this, but the old kits will always be in our hearts. I really loved the old Aurora Flying Sub, I have very fond memories of that kit, am I gonna pay Cult 80 bucks for one?..No.
The PL Seaview was the only game in town, I bought the first one I saw....Do I want another? No. Fond memories, but I will let them stay memories. In a way it's like a kit you built a long time ago, your skills have changed, the model is a little embarassing next to your latest build, but you keep it. It's a memory..it's a kit you liked enough to keep over the years....

These kits don't/can't really "compete" with or replace each other. It's just new things coming out that help us remember.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
The aurora PL seaview will always be in a class and time of its own...and of course is the movie version..the moebius and pl kits are totally different renditions..I dont place one in a better or worse class than the other..

Z

1 - 20 of 33 Posts