Hobbyist Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,370 Posts
ARMYSGTPENNA said:
Explane you Q "seemingly corrupt event"
The 40 WLs that were only given to staff members, that is what! Seems to me the charity would have raised much more money if they would have made the same amount as the others and sold them to the public???????

·
Registered
481 Posts
Almost makes me want to start some lame convention and only make 40 cars..........

But you cant have any but I will give you one of my regular issues!

·
Registered
3,760 Posts
what a waste - giving something that precious to someone who has only $.$ in mind - too bad i have no interest whatsoever in something like that, or it might make me mad just thinking about it - there is so much wrong with that whole situation - i know, somebody who cares should put $500.00 on it, and then ignore all emails demanding payment :jest: hmmmmmmmmm....that's not a bad idea.............anybody else want to get into a bidding war and see if we can jack it up to about $1400.00 ? i bet that would put some frosting on his corn flakes !

·
Registered
12,344 Posts
sh1035 said:
Almost makes me want to start some lame convention and only make 40 cars..........

But you cant have any but I will give you one of my regular issues!
Yeah, and don't forget to price those cars sky high!

·
Registered
12,344 Posts
POCKETWOCKET said:
what a waste - giving something that precious to someone who has only $.$ in mind - too bad i have no interest whatsoever in something like that, or it might make me mad just thinking about it - there is so much wrong with that whole situation - i know, somebody who cares should put $500.00 on it, and then ignore all emails demanding payment :jest: hmmmmmmmmm....that's not a bad idea.............anybody else want to get into a bidding war and see if we can jack it up to about $1400.00 ? i bet that would put some frosting on his corn flakes !
Dude, you sure have a creative mind! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
518 Posts
I cant speak for other people but to me if I want something bad enough and like it, price doesnt madder. Its something I like so I will pay whatever it takes to get it. Yeah I got a bunch of B.S. for buying a Coca Cola 57 Chevy WL for $264.00. I was thinking to myself, why was everyone worried about it? Its my money no theres. But you know what?? I injoy it and dont feel bad paying that price for it at all. It was something I wanted at the time so the price didnt madder. I didnt write this to start anything, I was just giving my opinion on this. If he likes it and wants it them price doesnt madder. :thumbsup: Congrats on who ever wins this SWEET Camaro!!

Kenny :)

·
Registered
12,344 Posts
You are right however people want to spend however much of their money is their business. However, this perceived lack of discipline in spending on toy cars on the secondary market is what inspires these so called hobbyists to commission a low numbered run of cars strictly to make a bundle of cash. It's like shootin' fish in a barrel, and you are the fish!

As for me, there's only a few WL Camaros I don't have in my collection, and this will be one of them, unless one falls from the sky into my mailbox!

·
Registered
12,344 Posts
The Wild Weekend was a "Convention" from 07/23-07/25 more aptly described as a quaint gathering from what I hear, but I didn't go so I can't say for sure. These were the Convention cars.

·
Rocket Power
3,267 Posts
Personally I don't see a problem with the "staff members" only getting the WLs. It's a specialized event and most likely needed volunteers to make it happen in the first place. If anyone here has ever been part of such a large event, then you would know how much work it takes to make it happen. A little incentive or reward can't hurt. I suppose you can the phrase "staff members" differently but even if they are paid for there time, bonuses are not unheard of. Besides only a few will most likely make it to market since workers or volunteers are often enthusiasts and will keep it for themselves. I know I would. JMHO

·
Registered
12,344 Posts
tinywheels said:
Personally I don't see a problem with the "staff members" only getting the WLs. It's a specialized event and most likely needed volunteers to make it happen in the first place. If anyone here has ever been part of such a large event, then you would know how much work it takes to make it happen. A little incentive or reward can't hurt. I suppose you can the phrase "staff members" differently but even if they are paid for there time, bonuses are not unheard of. Besides only a few will most likely make it to market since workers or volunteers are often enthusiasts and will keep it for themselves. I know I would. JMHO
Then they should have been advertised as "Staff Cars" like a certain white firebird for the Fest, for example.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The Wild weekend event had Staff cars in 2002 also. It was a sweet Orange
Jaded HW with Real Riders. That car will put you back $250 -300. This camaro
was keeping that tradition alive. It creates problems because it is part of a
"set" of WL's. Each blistercard is numbered and the camaro is #5. You could
say you have a complete set of WW cars if you get a reg issue camaro since
they have the same blister card and even that car is pretty limited at 1/360,
but I feel that a WL set needs ALL the cars to be complete. So that means
one would have to get the ladies luncheon pink bug WL 1/40 also, which
up the price of the set considerably. Regardless of how successfull the
event was, this is one of the coolest WL sets done so far in my opinion.
The camaro is smoking and is unfortunately going to only be owned by a few.
I met a number of people at the Wicked Weekend who worked at the
Wild Weekend and no one was willing to sell their camaro. At least a few
of the pink bug wl's have been resold by people who attended the ladies
luncheon and want to sell to recoup some of their spouses costs for
attending all the events at this convention.

Regards, DrDeal

·
Registered
16 Posts
On Staff getting special cars , Befor any goes picking on the Wild Weekend people , If you ever been to one of the HW conventions/Nationals , Mike makes cars for his staff and they are hard to get only a few put them up for US collectors to get. , and at a high $. And yes its lots of work , to try and please all who attend the show. Oh I am NOT one of the workers just a collector ,from PA.

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
Some peoples hobby is collecting and some people consider buying and selling on ebay a hobby. If that is what they like I say let them do it. If someone wants to pay a lot for something thats great. It is a thrill to get a good price for an item on ebay. If a person enjoys looking all over to find something to sell or volunteer at an event to acquire something to sell well, maybe that's their hobby and thats what they enjoy. As far as the price being driven up thats probably true, but if they weren't selling many of us would never get our hands on some of the great cars being sold.

·
Registered
12,344 Posts
If people volunteer solely for the purpose of obtaining an exclusive car to sell for big $, that's not really the quintessential definition of the word VOLUNTEER.

The staff car as I understand it, is supposed to be in appreciation for the help at the convention. In my little mind I would think the recipient would be grateful enough to keep it as a souvenir, but I guess some aren't that sentimental.

I guess the "out" here for those selling is that they might not want the staff car for their collection so they are selling it to use the money to buy other items for their collection. Oh well, so be it. I'm not buying!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts