Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1/35th or 1/32nd hollow cast Resin Wild Boar APC from Bam Bam Productions. Apparently this was to be the original design of the APC in Aliens but was abandoned due to cost.

USCM by AEF and kindly donated by a modelling mate, but I believe the company may have some Marines in the pipeline and even available by now.

I have heavily weathered the APC to hide my modelling flaws – I did have a bit of a problem affixing the rear wheels mainly because I was rushing to get it ready for a show.

Had this been in the film I’m not sure how the troops would have got in and out as the door appears to be horizontal and placed under the engine block.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Really cool design and a really great build-up :thumbsup:
Think I might need to get me one of these....
I got this direct from Bam Bam in the US of A and even with shipping (no customs charge :thumbsup:) it worked out cheaper than Frontier Models are/were selling it for.

·
Registered
5,779 Posts
That's a very cool design but I can see why it may have been rejected. That drivers view slot (and the large cutout leading to it) is nothing but a shot trap, and how do the marines unass from it?

OTOH as some kind of scout or mobile fire support platform that's pretty decent. :)

Nice build!

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hadn't seen that picture, I agree, in that case more like 1/48th which would make more sense for the embarking/disembarking question (Steve H).

Airfix are eventually releasing some 1/48th modern UK troops which could be converted I suppose.

·
Registered
5,779 Posts
Yep, yep, works as a scout for me as well.

Yeah, if that's scaled at 1/48, then the back hatch is more akin to the back of a M 113.

So that's a Ron Cobb design? I don't remember him working on Aliens. But then again, Aliens didn't get a nice flood of books like Alien did.

·
Banned
718 Posts
Yeah, I think that Marine is about nine feet tall, in scale. Maybe you can paint his face blue and call him an Avatar? ;)

Seriously, I love these "alternative take" models... but I really prefer the version we got in the film. It just "works better" from my perspective. Your mileage may vary... :thumbsup:

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah, I think that Marine is about nine feet tall, in scale. Maybe you can paint his face blue and call him an Avatar? ;)

Seriously, I love these "alternative take" models... but I really prefer the version we got in the film. It just "works better" from my perspective. Your mileage may vary... :thumbsup:
:thumbsup:, I was led astray by Bam Bam's site photos where they have used 1/32nd figures as size comparison - I gues they may be releasing USCM's in the wrong scale!:confused:

·
Registered
3 Posts
1/35th or 1/32nd hollow cast Resin Wild Boar APC from Bam Bam Productions. Apparently this was to be the original design of the APC in Aliens but was abandoned due to cost.
I love the finished look you gave it. It turned out great. This is actually the first one I'd seen finished since all the trouble began back in 2011. They really got the scale wrong.

·
Starship Class
11,941 Posts
Love that design! Much superior to what they came out with though I really like that version, too.

Great job on the weathering and paint job. :thumbsup: All you got to do is replace the soldier and voila! the scale is changed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The little, personalized details and numbers make it very real.

I've never seen what they chose to do with the bottom after they stole the orthographics to build this. Could you take a picture of the bottom for me?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts