Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
More gun fun from the Sarge, another nice 1:1 replica of Rick Deckard's gun from Blade Runner. Besides being pretty accurate, it's also a lot more affordable than most of the earlier BR gun kits!

The main one-piece body looks a little rough out of the box, but the flash is very thin and removes easily. It was ready for primer in no time. The trigger requires careful sanding, but then again they usually do!

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
terryr said:
Did you know an actual hero PKD was recently photographed at a convention?

Hurry hurry hurry.....too late, the pics are gone.

http://www.therpf.com/index.php?showtopic=115940

A anonymous fellow sci-fi gun fan was kind enough to to send me the shots of the recently resurfaced hero gun, those are amazing!

Gotta give Sarge credit, his gun compares nicely to the hero prop. and better than many of the more expensive versions!

What's the deal with the secrecy about the pictures, those ought to be shared!

·
Cautiously Optimistic
5,017 Posts
PhilipMarlowe said:
What's the deal with the secrecy about the pictures, those ought to be shared!
Collectors can be notoriously guarded with this kind of stuff. In some cases they have valid reasons, but often they're just being greedy.

I attended the World Con and saw the "Blade Runner" stuff, but for whatever reason the blaster was not on display when I was there. I saw the pix when they were still on the props site, and they are indeed amazing (interesting to see those green LEDs in addition to the red ones). Glad you were able to track them down for reference.

A lot of replica prop makers out there have some revising to do...

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Carson Dyle said:
Collectors can be notoriously guarded with this kind of stuff. In some cases they have valid reasons, but often they're just being greedy.

I attended the World Con and saw the "Blade Runner" stuff, but for whatever reason the blaster was not on display when I was there. I saw the pix when they were still on the props site, and they are indeed amazing (interesting to see those green LEDs in addition to the red ones). Glad you were able to track them down for reference.

A lot of replica prop makers out there have some revising to do...
Well, to me those shots are up there with the first good photo's of the Proteus or the TOS Enterprise models, like most BR fans I've spent hours over the years pausing tapes and disc trying to make out the details of that frakkin' gun.

The green LED's and the "on-off" switch are especially interesting, those are major details NOBODY seems to have noted or remembered over the decades, and none of even the most expensive "researched" versions of the prop came close to getting right!

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
Man, I'm prolly gonna regret asking this, but does Sgt. Wilco have a website...? I say "regret" 'cause I'm more and more wanting to get some of these kewel Replica pieces that you and a couple other fella's have shown off here. The "Blade Runner Special" - as I seem to recall seeing someone call it once - is one of those prop pieces I've always wanted to get, along w/almost every Trek hand weapon shown on-screen (especially from the movies!), the TOS BSG Colonial Blaster (which I've got!), TNS Colonial Blaster (Pilot and Season One) and one or two others.

As a semi-related question: anybody else here collect "Air Softs"? I've got a few pistols I picked up for cheap when I was stationed in Korea. These are the spring-loaded variety and several of them would need only minor touching up paint to look like the Real Deal from as little as about five feet away.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
I don't think Sarge has a website!!

I do think we should berate him about that because he has such a wide range of cool models that you don't see on sites like Cult and such. For example, I am aware that Sarge also makes in resin a nice Darth Vader Light Saber, a Next Generation Phaser and a Mummy Book of the Dead Key.

I'm pretty sure that he has other neat stuff that would appeal to folks here as well. But I do think he's pretty busy with his "real job" for the next few weeks. Perhaps we can get on his case when that eases up.

Huzz

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Griffworks said:
As a semi-related question: anybody else here collect "Air Softs"? I've got a few pistols I picked up for cheap when I was stationed in Korea. These are the spring-loaded variety and several of them would need only minor touching up paint to look like the Real Deal from as little as about five feet away.
I had the airsoft Robocop gun for a long time, it was handy for keeping my old girlfiends cats off my stereo gear. It looked pretty realistic, and had a working slide/pump mechanism!

I like Sarge's big prop kits, they are a lot of fun to finish! I'm going to have to start my BR gun all over again after seeing the pics of the hero prop that resurfaced at Worldcon! Sarge's actually won't need much to match the hero, a couple of screws, a doodad or two, and a a little drilling will make it amazingly close.

·
Registered
4,235 Posts
The amazing thing about the real 'PKD' is that the owner let it get rusty! Here all the prop guys are going nuts over it, and he just leaves it in a box in the garage or whatever for 20 years.

The prop-ers sure get secretive over the details sometimes. Not like us. But the photos are out there now. If you're going to buy one wait awhile until they update.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Hi Guys---
Thanks for the kind words, but I have some bad news. Unfortunately, the Bladerunner blaster is no longer availabe. Usually I cut my own prototypes in-house; this is one of only two prototypes I've ever actually purchased. Unfortunately, this was a mistake as it turns out that several of the components were ripped-off from somebody else's work! I have destroyed my molds and, once the remaining castings are gone, I won't be making any more.
Of course, now that I have really good pics of the original... I don't rule out tooling up my own proto some day...

---Da Sarge

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Here's one side of mine modified to match more closely to the "hero' pistol.

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
With pretty much all the changes I intend, the 'target selector' rod, cylinder release knob, and on/off switch will get added later. I still have to deal with that big odd looking selector knob on the right side of the hero pistol, it was mis-interpreted as the big slot head on this version.

But to those of you with the hero pics, this is pretty darn close!

·
Registered
7,695 Posts
Scott,

All of the pistols you have done are just so fine looking. And, this one is really is coming along so good. Maybe you can bring some of then to Wonderfest next year. I would like to see them, in person.

Lloyd

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Somehow, I have a feeling trying to take one of these cross country on a plane Memorial Day Weekend could be a very bad idea!

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
Ship it to yourself at the Hotel. LOTS of people do that with models. Just make sure to ship it Priority, with a ton of insurance and clearly marked "SCALE MODEL WEAPON" on any packing forms.

·
Registered
7,695 Posts
PhilipMarlowe said:
Somehow, I have a feeling trying to take one of these cross country on a plane Memorial Day Weekend could be a very bad idea!
I didn't think of that! It is a shame how things are now. I miss the old days. :cry:

1 - 20 of 45 Posts