Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How are you all doing with your WILCO Proteus?

I ADVANCED ordered mine from Monsters in Motion and they apparently haven't recieved any yet. Aargh!

I'm die'in to see some results! The Carson Dyle Proteus thread has me all worked up!

I'm taking the night off to plan some Photoetch details and I really wish I had that one to look at. I've decided that I'm definitely going to build my LM Proteus kit first, which I've had for almost a decade... but I'm planning some NX-01 and Enterprise Refit details at the same time... trying to make the most out of a "batch" of photoetch experiments.

Any new insights on the Wilco model?

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
I'm also hoping to do a nice job of my Wilco Proteus.

Overall, the model is really REALLY nice, the interior looks great, but I have been fiddling with the front window section to get it looking more like the full scale mock-up seen in the movie. I'll post some pics with my new digital camera if someone can tell me how to do that. Anyhow, the upper windows don't sit flat enough, the two outboard upper windows extend back too far towards the stern and there is a very large pronounced lip at the bottom of the lower row of windows. So far, I have undertaken the following things:

1. I've sanded back the pronounced lip at the bottom of the lower windows and beveled the edge back to approximate the angle seen on the bow of the full scale ship. I don't want to use filler to re-sculpt this area because I want to leave the top removable a la Aurora. Easy.
  2. I've lowered the top windows by cutting the vertical window separations at the top and re-positioning them. Easy.
  3. I've reduced the size of the upper outboard windows by cutting crescent shaped pieces of sheet styrene to insert in the ends of the too large openings. I'm hoping to apply some filler to the seams tonight.
  4. Oh yeah - I've also beveled the circular lip of the navigation bubble housing. Its fairly thick in the Wilco model, but if you look at pics of the movie ship you will see that it tapered to a fine edge.
There are not many good views of those upper outboard windows anywhere. Except for one brief moment in the movie about 1 hr and 33 minutes in! DVD Frame Advance is a lovely feature! There are lots of good views though of the 5 foot filming model's window on sites like Cloudster. These windows were shaped quite differently on the 5 footer and the full scale mock-up. The windows on the 5 footer have a very round outboard end. the windows on the full scale mock-up were just slightly curved on the outboard ends, and at a slight angle from vertical. This latter window shape is reflected in the Lunar Models kit.

Once my local hobby shop owner returns from vacation, I'll be ordering some 1/8 inch plastic I-beam to fabricate the internal window support struts that run from the chart rack and from the diver's chamber / airlock.

Huzz

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
The interior of my Wilco Proteus is really nice - it practically falls together. Good detail, only a few small voids and good to excellent fit. The chart rack, radio table, diver's chamber, pilot platform and pilot chair all fit together cleanly.

I made the upper cabin roof fit better to the main hull by trimming down the walls of the interior tub (specifically, the tall walls from the pilot position back) until they were flush with the main hull of the Proteus.

I made the front window section fit better too. As it comes, the "dashboard" that mounts under the front windows sits a bit too high. Lowering the cabin roof section into place causes the front windows to either be lifted up off the bow or to push the dashboard back towards the stern of the Proteus. If you dry fit the parts you will see that. I trimmed the short front walls of the interior tub where the dash sits to lower the dash until it fits more or less flush with the front of the Proteus. No more problem!

Huzz

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
I was waiting for Steve to restock them but I finally broke down and just ordered 2 from the Sarge himself...I hope to see them before election day...

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
Heiki, I think that Steve's hobby shop section lists the Icarus as one of his most popular models. But the Proteus did sell out pretty darn fast!

As a new guy to resin kits and at the time unfamiliar with Wilco, I only bought one Icarus when it came out early this year. But since seeing other examples of Sarge's quality work I had no hesitation in buying two Proteus kits.

By the way, the Cosomostrator and the Martian War Machine are nice kits - typical Wilco quality and a piece of cake to build. The Cosmostrator has a cool display base too.

Huzz

·
Premium Member
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Question for the Sarge

Sarge - When will you be sending Proteus kits to Monsters in Motion. I advanced ordered from them a long time ago and I'm gettin' kind of antsy!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Hey Drew!

Hello Drew--- Check your PM's for a briefing...
To everybody else--- Cult's resupply ships tomorrow!
---Da Sarge

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
What?

No tidbits about upcoming new models for the rabid hordes (well, me actually) to fret the details of? We (well, me actually) needs some hints!!

Huzz

What's that? Who made that smell? (well, me actually) :jest:

·
Registered
121 Posts
News & Stuff...

Well, I'm going to have to slow new-product development a little due to a few unrelated factors...
1. Proteus is MUCH more popular than I though it'd be; more time producing kits means less time designing new ones!
2. My 'real job:' I was shuffled off into a nice, cushy staff position around this time last year; unfortunately the guy they brought in to take over my former duties has been relieved for incompetence. So, I'm back in the airplane-fixing business. The last month has consisted of reviewing every 'fix' done on every one of my B-1Bs and correcting any bad work. 'Hectic' is the word, I think...
3. The Comic Con season: the rest of my business is prop-replicas and I have to program in some build-time for the October convention.
That being said... I stand by my earlier choices (Discovery 1, Space Ark and Earth-vs-Flying-Saucers saucer), and add 2 more:
The Spinner, in 1/24th 'automotive' scale.
Leon's Pistol prop replica (because I just got one of those C.O.P. .357 Derringers in a trade; be a pity not to make castings!).
---Da Sarge

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
Sgt Wilco said:
Well, I'm going to have to slow new-product development a little due to a few unrelated factors...
1. Proteus is MUCH more popular than I though it'd be; more time producing kits means less time designing new ones!
2. My 'real job:' I was shuffled off into a nice, cushy staff position around this time last year; unfortunately the guy they brought in to take over my former duties has been relieved for incompetence. So, I'm back in the airplane-fixing business. The last month has consisted of reviewing every 'fix' done on every one of my B-1Bs and correcting any bad work. 'Hectic' is the word, I think...
3. The Comic Con season: the rest of my business is prop-replicas and I have to program in some build-time for the October convention.
That being said... I stand by my earlier choices (Discovery 1, Space Ark and Earth-vs-Flying-Saucers saucer), and add 2 more:
The Spinner, in 1/24th 'automotive' scale.
Leon's Pistol prop replica (because I just got one of those C.O.P. .357 Derringers in a trade; be a pity not to make castings!).
---Da Sarge
A spinner! Woohoo!

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
Cool news Bill!

Its nice to hear that the Proteus is selling well for you. Its a good complaint!

Sounds like your new kits will be available fairly late in the year or perhaps in the new year. Although I'd love to be able to put a Space Ark or an Earth-Vs-the-Flying Saucers saucer on my letter to Santa!

Huzz

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Glad to hear the Proteus is selling well. The rest of your future projects sound pretty exciting. The Spinner and Space Ark float to the top if my interest. I've always wanted to build the Ark as partially constructed, like it was in the movie. I think Lunar's Ark, with the partial launch ramp is a bit too small to do that.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts