Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why do you collect the Hunts? I personally don't care, simply because I can never find them, the few I have are worthless. I'm just curious as to the reasons for collecting.:)

·
Registered
915 Posts
Why do you collect the Hunts? I personally don't care, simply because I can never find them, the few I have are worthless. I'm just curious as to the reasons for collecting.:)

Something for nothing and your chix for free....

Okay, no chix, but the Hunts through '06 were very tradable and made the expense of driving to six seven eight stores on your morning off worth the effort.

The modern two tier Hunt is another animal. The regulars are fun to find, but have no trade value. The $upers are very very rare and very very tradable, but so rare cruising the stores on one's day off has become less than worthwhile.

·
Registered
5,308 Posts
I disagree with the notion that the regular hunts have no trade value, as I have made some very good trades with them. The value isn't as high as the older hunts just because of the plastic wheels and in some cases, plastic bases. Even some of the pre-2007 hunt values aren't much over the new ones. The reason most collectors collect the hunts is because they are part of the whole years series. It's that, coupled with the fact that the regular hunts are still made in much lower numbers than the regular mainlines, so not everyone will complete their sets. The super hunts are not necessary to complete the set, but are considerably more rare than the regs and, thus, command a much greater value.

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
I don't necessarily collect the hunts. If i find them, fine. Otherwise, I wait for the Convention and pick them up for $2-3 each.

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
Prior to the the whole Regular/Super TH deal, I used to snag every one I saw. Either to keep for myself or to give/trade away. But now that all I find are Regulars, I just buy 1 of the casting, and leave every other one I find for someone else. Haven't found a Super yet haha

·
Registered
37 Posts
I don't necessarily collect the hunts. If i find them, fine. Otherwise, I wait for the Convention and pick them up for $2-3 each.
I agree.. if I find them,awesume.. Ive come across a few now and then at the stores... I end up buying them at a convention/toysho or on the internet.. its not worth the gas

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
I no longer "collect" hunts. Meaning I don't feel the need to own every one. The 2 tier system killed the joy for me personally. Dragonhead is correct that it is no longer worth the effort/time/gas/etc hunting for them as 9 out of 10 you find will be the <$3 regular variety. I buy 1 reg(if I find one) to open, I buy every super I see to sell or trade, and leave the rest of the regs unless I need 1 to sell with the super. I no longer frequent Walmart/Target or Kmart, I figure I'll leave that to the hardcore HW guys. It used to be rewarding to hunt around, not anymore.

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
TH's were fun to hunt for back in 95 and 96 but today they dont grab
my attention as too many people are playing the game in hunting and
thinking they will be Millionairs in their near future in hoarding or resales.
If I find one great but, if not, that's okay too as I know Mattel made more
than a few hand fulls of these. If Mattel really wanted us Collectors to
hunt for these they then wouldn't have put a green stripe on the side
that says " pick me - pick me ". Today I buy what grabs my attention
and thats not every TH I come across.

This is how I see it of course. :p

·
Registered
9,900 Posts
In my instance, even burning gas to go to 20 stores, will yield no hunts. I find them just normal objects that aren't worth buying from ebay or whatnot. You can almost NEVER find them here with a few HUGE HW clubs in Houston and MANY, MANY Scalpers/ store employees who snag them before they hit the pegs. I seriously envy those who can just say " I leave some behind for others" or " I find them easily and its fun" , because I would be so darn happy to just find a regular hunt on any day of the week.

I have less then 10 Hunts in total.:freak: All were either from trades or RAOKs, or purchases from when I started out. And then I see pictures of a person from my area showing off 50+ hunts in a box. It's just not worth it.

·
Registered
4,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
:lol: Now THATS a keeper!!! Thanks guys for the responces, it interesting to hear everyones take. I like most collect what i like the few TH's I have don't really interest me I get more bang out of dissecting and customizing myself I guess the best part of a T-hunt are the real riders!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
: the best part of a T-hunt are the real riders!:thumbsup:
I agree as a bunch of us back in the 90's ripped them RR's off and
used them for Customs. After you find a few too many you seem
to not care for that one Car as it starts looking good stripped and
broken. LOL

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
I don't collect treasure hunts specifically. I only collect certain castings with Basic Wheels and Real Riders/rubber tires. If the treasure hunt happens to be a casting that I collect & has rubber tires then I will get it. If not, then I have no interest in it at all.

·
Registered
5,308 Posts
I have never understood why they (Mattel) don't just make them and sell them on their website.
Because that would defeat the whole reason behind the gimmick: to chum the retail market waters and get the collectors into feeding frenzies and hope for a peripheral boost on the sales of the rest of their merchandise - i.e., playsets, multipacks, and special series.

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
Because that would defeat the whole reason behind the gimmick: to chum the retail market waters and get the collectors into feeding frenzies and hope for a peripheral boost on the sales of the rest of their merchandise - i.e., playsets, multipacks, and special series.
And.....It gets you to leave your home and buy more items in the Stores....
Its a win win situation for both parties. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

·
Registered
674 Posts
I would be so darn happy to just find a regular hunt on any day of the week.

I have less then 10 Hunts in total.:freak: All were either from trades or RAOKs, or purchases from when I started out. And then I see pictures of a person from my area showing off 50+ hunts in a box. It's just not worth it.
I have only found a few hunts over the years, maybe a couple in Wallys and Kmarts. Almost all of my best finds came out of Dollar stores and Grocery stores. Don't forget Drug stores. The best luck I have had has been in those offbeat places that sell HW, and very little luck where they sell HW in huge quantities.

I don't collect hunts as such, and I'm not about to support the scalpers feeding the frenzy on epay. I have gotten a few in trades, but overall I don't particularly care one way or the other about T-hunts. All Hot Wheels, Matchbox and others should be made to a certain level of quality, at least that of a T-hunt for the money paid. Even the "real rider" rip-off is a scam, but if that's what somebody likes, who am I to judge?

After the first couple thousand cars, they all just get buried in boxes anyway.

Collect what you like, the rest is just hype and herd mentality foolishness.

·
Registered
426 Posts
My point was the collectors are the ones who get screwed because there are scalpers out there who buy every TH on the pegs and sell them on eBay anyways. I would just rather do away with TH cars and have Mattel actually make better Hot Wheels. No more Track T's and gimmick cars. The other toy car manufacturers make cars without all the crap. The TH series proves Mattel can make cool cars that don't suck. Greenlight and others have shown that people will pay 2.99 for a quality die-cast. Hot Wheels, imo, was heading in the right direction with the 100% and the Black Box but they have stopped or really scaled back their efforts. I am just tired of their bs. One only has to look to the original Redlines to see what Mattel was and is capable of.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts