Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems to me that nearly every PL 350 Enterprise I've seen built up is the "A" and not the original refit. As I intend to decal mine simply as "NCC-1701" ("No bloody A, B, C, or D"), I was just wondering if anyone out there had any theories as to why so many are choosing to go with the "A" instead of the original refit?

·
Oxidation Genius
31,234 Posts
Good question! Maybe that the refit configuration is more associated with the A as a distinction from the good ol' gray lady.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I think most of the kits extra parts are more accurate to the "A" than the refit.

"No bloody A, B, C, or D" here too :)

·
Registered
547 Posts
I think John hit the nail on the head.

A lot of us have ( in one scale or another) some sort of "lineage collection" ... that is to say every incarnation of the Enterprise. Building the 1701 in her refit configuration then having the same model (to the untrained observer) again with an "-A" added to the registry gives the appearance of being too redundant.

·
Registered
294 Posts
The -A is also a much simpler paint job consisting of just the flat white / pearl (or light gray) aztec pattern. With the TMP/TWOK Enterprise, you have four different interference colors that go on top of the base aztec pattern. That, coupled with the fact that there are few if any color pics of the original paint job make it difficult to do accurately.

That was my reason, anyhow...

·
Registered
5,777 Posts
Think more simple.

a. NCC-1701A instantly seperates the kit from the TV NCC-1701. Don't want to confuse the retailers.

b. ST:TMP is thought of as one of the 'bad' Trek movies (not by me) while ST:TVH (aka Trek IV) is generally considered one of the big kahuna triumph movie (which is sad as it sets up the actually USE of the -A in Trek V as...blearg.) So using the A 'removes' the stink. I know, stupid but such thinking does go on. Note that Diamond made their 'movie Phaser' as the TWoK version and left it to Entertainment Earth to get the store exclusive TMP version of the Phaser. Because TWoK is cool and TMP drools, right? blargh. :)

c. it's POSSIBLE that since it's from the later movies there's a lower licensing fee, as opposed to blockbuster TWoK. I dunno.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think that, for me, the only real Enterprise was the TOS one and the refit in TMP and TWOK. Sure, the movie ship was really a new ship, but--storywise--it was the original TOS ship upgraded. The "-A", while a reasonable facsimile, just wasn't the same ship. A silly way to look at it, perhaps, but that's why we're fan(atics). :)

·
Registered
5,777 Posts
Ya know, when I first read the start, I thought it was about why it's always the 'movie' Enterprise released lately it's as the -A, I don't know why I thought that, I CAN read...heh.

Why do people BUILD it as the -A? It's probably for the reasons mentioned, it appears to be an easier paint.

Altho I'm a radical, when I build the movie E, I don't do the Aztec thing. I treat that as something that would be all but invisible in detail at scale and go for the overall 'look' , kinda like how you really don't want panel lines on a 1/144 scale airplane.

'Course I haven't BUILT a movie Enterprise since...ohhhhh 1980 :)

·
Registered
388 Posts
Mine will (whenever I get around to finishing her) be the original refit, NCC-1701. I'm going to use the kit-supplied aztek decals overall, then add some secondary breakups on top of that, and I'm getting the green-hued strongback decals from Acreation. There will be no interiors or lights...I'm simulating lights and lighted/darkened windows with paint effects. I *MAY* finish the landing and cargo bay set to display separately, depending on how I decide to display the ship, herself...still pondering the base for her. Someday, I may build another with lights and interiors, but the electrical stuff is beyond my means and skills (and patience!) at this time, and without lights, the interiors really can't be seen well enough.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
I've always preferred the 1701 Refit (no bloody "A")... but my first big Refit build will be the 1701-A. Why? Maybe to get the "build shakedown bugs" out of the way for an eventual 1701 Refit? Or maybe because the -A is somehow seen as "poorer" sister ship of the original, and I've always been a bit of a sucker for the underdog type.

But there are also a couple of other reasons I could think of; the -A was the one in service at the time of my club's ship and I'm participating in a group build that of the current list of participants, mine is the only -A! There ya go. ;)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts