Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How my collecting habit started.......

As I was living in the Amsterdam area I often visited a comic book store. In the corner of the store were a few pegs where I saw a small collection of die-cast Willy Gassers.......

I bought the dusted blisters and started searching the Internet for more info about the brand. I found Wyatts site and also found a lot of Johnny's on E-bay. Two months later my wife and I flew to LAX to visit my wife's family for a two week holiday.

The first Wally's that I walked in, I went straight to the toy department to check out the Johnny Lightnings. There were a few and I started searching for the White Lightnings. Something that I found out during my search on internet for more information about the brand.

Guess what? I found a green Ford Fairlane with a white interior and white base from the mustangs and fords series. Inmediatly I was hooked. When I came home in Holland my search on internet continued. I found JL-Talk where I spend Many hours. Unfortunatly JL-Talk is no longer online.

I don't really collect anymore but I still find interest for the early Johnny's and decided to hang around here and "talk" to some old friends and read some more info about the brand that doesn't really exsists anymore(As I am informed)

Cheers and "see" you around.
M75

Picture credit Wyatt's index(thank you Wyatt)
http://www.jlcollector.net/200.html

·
Registered
916 Posts
I'm like you as far as Johnny's go. I still have much of my stuff, but the collecting new items died long ago. In 1995 I was going through an antique store and saw these Johnny Lightning cars forsale (commemoratives) and thought it sure looked old but wasn't. I bought a couple then did research and found out about the cool little car and its short lived existence. I then thought it would be cool to collect one of each of the 47 cars, then went for sets, BP's, etc as well as the new stuff and kicked off a website on Topper cars for others to learn about them.

As we know over time it all died off and for me when Playing Mantis sold it killed it for me for the new Johnny's. Still fun to think of the fun time of the club, the people, the website and so on..... Glad this site is still around to keep the memories going.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts