Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 152 Posts

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why is pan car oval the only one left using dynamic timing on road and offroad and dirt oval all back to 0 timing.:drunk:

Jake

·
Racer
3,264 Posts
This is sure to spiral into another rant thread...

But mostly because oval adjusted winds accordingly to keep class speeds in check with dynamic timing. Many other types of racing kept running the same motors and blamed the esc's for making their cars uncontrollably fast. Oval adapted and made the classes make sense speed-wise...that's it in a nutshell for why we still have it.

Dirt oval isn't totally on the zero timing bandwagon either...both cars that I'll be racing this weekend (13.5 EDM and Mod Sprint) are open esc.

One more thing...when 17.5 Open is the tightest class we've had in years, why do people still b**** about timing?

·
Registered
259 Posts
My 13.5 EDM that I will be racing this weekend is open timing.

In dirt oval the "blinky" deal is only for the 17.5 "stock" spec classes.

They had to open up the 13.5 to open timing because Mod is dying off at the larger races. Look at the Open Wheel race from a couple of years back, Dave Peek bumped up twice in Mod EDM w/ a 13.5.

In Dirt Oval 13.5 open timing is the new Mod.

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Guess I am looking for good reasons cause I can't think of any.Thanks for the dirt oval lesson.

Jake

·
Premium Member
1,227 Posts
We finally have some class stability, 2 or 3 years now with the same classes. Going all classes to blinky/0 timing would mean shuffling classes/motors again.
Timing is not a big deal, pretty much set and forget.

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I might be wrong by saying this but I thought race cars are suppose to be fast??
Not sure if this is directed to advanced timing but 0 timing13.5 is faster than 17.5 open timing that we had befor the advanced esc came in to play.And is not as setup sensitive.

Jake

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
I might be wrong by saying this but I thought race cars are suppose to be fast??
To a degree. Nearly every form of racing has 'restrictions' of some sort.
The fastest stock cars 'could' go a lot faster...

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
I think we just like it! For a oval car with good traction (like most pan car racing). It feels better.....torque in the corners where it used to bog down and high RPM's down the straight away. Its awesome!

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I think we just like it! For a oval car with good traction (like most pan car racing). It feels better.....torque in the corners where it used to bog down and high RPM's down the straight away. Its awesome!
Say what a 13.5 0 timing combo will out pull a 17.5 open combo in the corner any day of the week.

If you run a track with big sweeping corners (17.5 open)it's not as big of a deal as a tight corner track.

Not to mention pulling 2.2 amps ( 0 timing 13.5)compared to 18 amps (17.5 open timing)

Jake

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Listen I know this thread will not change anything.But why people think dynamic timing with a higher wind motor is better than a 0 timing lower wind motor is beyond me.Its harder on the motor lipo car is harder to set up you blow a few corners or get tangled up and spike your amp pull your done if its tight racing.

Just trying to find the good points.:confused:

Jake

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If you believe that .... LOL......every class at any speed is setup sensitive!!!! WOW.....my side is hurting.....
You are rite any class is set up sensitive now pull 10 times as many amps around a 6 foot corner not a 12 foot corner and tell me it does not magnify the cars setup.

Hey I wish we all had a 155 foot run line with 12 foot corners to run on but we don't.

Jake

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Jimmy the 13.5 COT master drinking the cool aid ,WOW my side is hurting lol.

Jake

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
I think its great having an option to run either open 17.5 or spec 13.5 and still have a fast car!!! We run open 17.5 on a 60' bullring and it works and set up and driver do play a role in any class.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
If they never allowed dynamic timing into oval. I would still enjoy racing just the same.

At this point I own 3 2cell Mamba Speed Controlers (converted to 1 cell). So I can't run a 'blinky' class if I wanted to. Since I cant seem to burn up these speed controlers....i gots to use them.

I did borrow a GTB and ran the 13.5 spec class at the birds for a 2nd class and to have some fun. I never ran the car before I got there. I was told by a few guys the old GTB would not run as well as the new Novak or the 1 Cell Mamba in blinky mode.

I dont know if there is any truth to that. But I did suck. I thought it was lack of testing with the yellow stripe tires and new body. I had set up and gearing notes from way back when 13.5 COT had no timing in the speedo. It didn't help much.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I would rather see zero timing and two cell packs. That way if you miss your line (like me about 5 or 6 times every 4 mins) your car at least has the balls to get back up to speed instead of ruining the next 2 laps getting back down to the lap times you need to run.

1 - 20 of 152 Posts