Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First of all, I want to thank you all for your help on posting pictures. You guys are great!

A lot of you guys buy JL cars because they remind you of a car from your youth. Well, the JL 1/18 red 1963 VW Bug is like the 1st car I remember as a child. My mother had one that was given to her by my maternal grandfather. He bought a new red VW every 3 or 4 years until they stopped importing them. When I was in kindergarten, my mother used to take all three kids to school and we rode in the "boot". Anyway, here is a pic of the original car invoice from when my grandfather purchased it in 1963.
Check out the price! :eek:

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
midtown said:
ahahha, I'd never buy a car on Lemmon Ave!
That is funny, I never noticed that. Anyway, it was anything but a lemmon. My mother got it in 1967 when I started kindergarten and my parents kept it as a third car in the 70's and I learned to drive with it when I was 14. When the battery was dead, us kids would push it started. It was a blast. My grandfather bought a Red VW Bug from then on until they stop importing and gave each one away after he got a new one. His last red VW was a 1975 Super Beetle. Those were the days!

·
Banned
8,979 Posts
:lol: $1,751, wow- I could imagine back then it was a lot of money but by todays stardards its just a drop in the bucket! Cool story :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
8,095 Posts
Yep, I just got a crank sensor, speed sensor, wiring and rear struts on my Saturn for $700 less. Thing still doesn't run right....

RacerJoe said:
:lol: $1,751, wow- I could imagine back then it was a lot of money but by todays stardards its just a drop in the bucket! Cool story :thumbsup:

·
Banned
10,696 Posts
RacerJoe said:
Actually Joe, that was still fairly cheap back in that day. VW used to proudly advertise the price being something like $1387 or something, right there in the tagline of their ads. A full size anything cost over 3k back then, a compact (Nova, Falcon, Valiant) around $2200.

·
Registered
7,269 Posts
2 things to add... I know how it is with the bugs... my Dad started in 1963 and kept trading in till he ended it with the Super Beetle in 73...traded em in every 3 years or so.... here's another tid-bit I dug up...I'm sure it's ben up here on this board before....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts