Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Much as I LOVE the new Mopar castings, why do they put PLASTIC roofs on the '65 and '67 Dodge Coronets? Can't they just mold the roof in metal, l\just as the rest of the car?

*Don't crush 'em....RESTORE 'em!*

-Rick

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
I assume it is so that they can easily make convertible versions of those castings. this way, they get the most bang for their buck out of the mold.

·
Registered
8,373 Posts
SD64 said:
I assume it is so that they can easily make convertible versions of those castings. this way, they get the most bang for their buck out of the mold.
Yep. Think about it, if the roof is molded in clear plastic, the hard part, the windows , are already done so when you paint the rest it all looks flush and realistic. Done as a seperate piece means the convertible version is but a plastic boot away. Makes customizing easier as well. I dig it.

·
FnF: Fords n Ferraris
7,828 Posts
I am still on the fence with this plastic roof thing. In theory it sounds ok but I am not too happy with the current results.

·
7,828 Posts
Macs_Little_Car said:
Didn't we know that?
Rob, I am at work and can't check. Are those JL's hardtop versions or convertibles with tops up that have the plastic roofs?

·
7,828 Posts
Those all look nice and you can't really tell. I wish the GL would have came out as good.

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
Atencio said:
I am still on the fence with this plastic roof thing. In theory it sounds ok but I am not too happy with the current results.
I couldn't agree with you more. I bought three of the Shelby Mustangs, 2 white, one black. All three of them have issues with the plastic roof not sitting flush with the body. It doesn't look too bad on the black because it is less noticeable due to the color. However, the roofs on the white cars look horrible. I'm not just talking about a little misalignment problem, the roofs aren't even sitting on the body in the rear. I won't even go into all of the boogers in the paint and the fingerprints on the inside of the windows. I actually got so frustrated trying to fix one of the white cars that I broke it. I'm really annoyed with the fact that I paid around $24 shipped for four 1:64 scale cars and three of them look as bad as they do. Its a shame, its a nice casting and I can't say enough good things about those wheels. I am a Mustang collector and was really looking forward to these. However, this isn't the first time I have seen quality control issues with GL cars. I will NOT be purchasing anymore GL cars sight unseen from OLD's....no offense guys. I feel the need to look them over real well in the store before I shell out any more dough. Consider me less than impressed.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I noticed the Mustang/Shelby roof in the pictures and decided against getting it. The 1/4 windows don't look right for one thing. Too small and seem out of position. I have the Coronets on the way though.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Bob Justbob said:
I noticed the Mustang/Shelby roof in the pictures and decided against getting it. The 1/4 windows don't look right for one thing. Too small and seem out of position. I have the Coronets on the way though.
Not to be the bearer of bad news but the 67 Coronets will be a big disappointment in the roof area. I found the 65s I got were fine, but the 67's plastic roof looks disjointed and does not line up at the windshield above the vent windows very well. It also looks way too tall in profile for the car's body. As for paint smudges and hoods that won't close, yep, got all that on this batch too. All I can say is that the JL Pony Power cars I received yesterday were no better, and in some cases worse. Out of 12 cars in a sealed case, only one had no glaring defects. I think from now on, I am only going to buy individual cars and only those that are new castings of ones I really like or are missing from my collection. This is way too much money to shell out for stuff that is no better than the $1.97 cars, and in many cases, worse.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Well all I can say to this is we all get a hold of a bad car once in awhile but in all diecast companies you have your occassional slip thru the QC dept. and make it to the market. But if you receive alot of them then its up to the company to solve the problem. Or in like Hot wheels if its a defect it becomes worth more money which in my book dumb but thats just my Opinion on that. But like Rob and some others have said here they make for good customizing cars and you just find one that isn't bad. If you have a problem with the window lining up with the car body then just do some diecast body work. Both companies GL and JL produce some awsome scales and awsome models. There only toys and are meant to be played with and customized. JMO....

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
jimhowie2000 said:
Not to be the bearer of bad news but the 67 Coronets will be a big disappointment in the roof area. I found the 65s I got were fine, but the 67's plastic roof looks disjointed and does not line up at the windshield above the vent windows very well. It also looks way too tall in profile for the car's body. As for paint smudges and hoods that won't close, yep, got all that on this batch too. All I can say is that the JL Pony Power cars I received yesterday were no better, and in some cases worse. Out of 12 cars in a sealed case, only one had no glaring defects. I think from now on, I am only going to buy individual cars and only those that are new castings of ones I really like or are missing from my collection. This is way too much money to shell out for stuff that is no better than the $1.97 cars, and in many cases, worse.
I'm sorry to hear you received so many defective cars. I'd like top point out that my post was not meant to compare GL quality to JL or any other diecast. I really just want to point out that these types of glaring issues should not occur ina 1:64 diecast that costs as much as these do.

I don't want this to turn into a GL bashing thread. GL is bringing us some great subject material. As a Mustang collector, I am thrilled with the variety of Mustangs they have brought us so far. They have filled some big holes in my 1:64 Stang collection. If you put the obvious QC issues with the Shelby GT500 aside, this casting is actually very good. They got the proportions right. From the body, to the stripes, to the size of the wheels (oh those stock wheels are awesome).....it looks right. I beleive that GL listens to their customers. I beleive they take into consideration all the critisizm of their products...constructive or otherwise. This is another reason I felt compelled to make that post. I beleive they will correct this.

......I think I'm actually more annoyed with the fact that I haven't been able to add these long awaited Shelbies to my collection than I am having dropped all that dough on them. Meh.....no I'm miffed having lost some good diecast money too.....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts