Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why do those things fetch so much money on the Bay?
I know that the cars are "rare"...:rolleyes:
I just don't get why some people think that one is worth $60 or $70...
Or more...
Maybe I am just grouchy this afternoon...
Scott

·
Registered
4,010 Posts
noddaz said:
Why do those things fetch so much money on the Bay?
I know that the cars are "rare"...:rolleyes:
I just don't get why some people think that one is worth $60 or $70...
Or more...
Maybe I am just grouchy this afternoon...
Scott
...or maybe you just have more sense than the bidders? Some guys just "gotta have it", yeah? Good for them, good for the sellers. :thumbsup:

I like them alot, but at MSRP. I have two and that is how I buy them. Period. I can think of other slot cars that are missing from my collection (my "gotta have it"list ) that I would rather spend the slot-bucks on and none of them have been made in the last 8 years. There are only so many bucks floating around in my wallet, eh!

·
Registered
405 Posts
I don't get it either. The whites have no appeal for me. Great for the sellers though. Let them get what they can for them. I think I saw one get close to $100 on the bay.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Awww come on, Noddy!

You’ve been around this game long enough to know this-

You are very intelligent when it comes to slots and surf the “bay” enough…
(No offence intended, and I’m not trying to be a smart alec :)).

Some people (as Joe & Chris mentioned,) have money to burn (or waste in my opinion). They have to have every last car or variation made!

I have better than a case full of WL’s—most of which came in orders from Die-Cast warehouse--and I still have a complete case of the first series of JL slots with the white Willys and Vettes—all never been removed from the tissue.
All of these were bought at msrp.

I did buy a Boss 429 WL from Buds for much higher than retail—partly because he’d claimed that was “the last one he had” (What a joke and falsehood that turned out to be…:rolleyes: )
I bought another not long after that on the bay for much closer to retail...

The most expensive “chase” car I’ve purchased was not white- but black!
This was when I had to join the JL club to get the black/gold Boss 302-

I am so thankful I got the bulk of my collection when most still considered them toys or an unusual curiosity at best.

To your original question:
I think it’s the same mentality as the red BMW, black Monza, white Matador (etc), originals. Some just have to have them at any cost-

Yes, I have paid more for few cars that I've really wanted, but let most go, because I couldn’t justify the massive price increase.

I whittled down my “must haves” to one car...er… truck, actually-

The Bauer Magris fire wagon. I believe I’ll never get that one either, because it seems quite scarce and goes for triple digits nowadays.:drunk:

Cheers..

·
Model Murdering
7,331 Posts
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder

Said the blind cave fish! I'd like to paint one those dumb things right in front of those retards. I'd start with a nice hot etch primer and then only select colors from the 70's porsche/volkswagen "Signal Colors" series. At least three fat coats. Now that would be a collectable! From the Billy's blind rage series. Starting at a mere $300.00 they'd be a bargain. If their so blind to the ridicolous nature of their affliction, why then does it matter what color the car is? Now gimme my three hundred bucks! Oh yeah, selective blindness, how silly of me. At least those guys wont be in my way when I'm trying to score a decent car. They'll be stumbling all over each other to buy another poser car. I'd rather have a hundred a twenty bucks worth of service parts. What I'd really like to do is rip those albino morphidite cars out of their packages and run them till the brushes can light my next smoke. Where's Godzilla with the hair spray fire breath when we need him. Sorry dudes, I'm just on a rant. Now where did I put that lude? LOL. BH

·
Registered
4,010 Posts
Bill, Good morn!

No need to be sorry for sharing your feelings here, mate. You have not attacked any individual that I can see. Infact, you have appealed to the "beard to my belt, greasy knuckled, Billy Gibbons" type guy in me. I get those same feelings, though I am never able to voice them as colorfully as you are able to, yeah?! Tell it like it is. We have another upstanding member here on HT who is like that. (his initials are b9, LOL) I really respect him alot, too. :thumbsup:
Thank you for being real and so very entertaining, eh! :thumbsup: .....just stay away from my white thunders. :tongue:

·
Model Murdering
7,331 Posts
Oh Fiddlesticks, there went my reputation. I'll never be prom queen now! Yarrrrgh! Joe, Thanks for your kind understanding. I was bustin a gut when I rattled that last one out. I'm actually pretty much a pacifist til something drags the kraut oughta me. Like collectors of doorknobs with more money than sense. Hmmmm.... Wonder where I heard that last part? All my stuff should always be read toungue in cheek, which of course is the fashion it was written in. All you guys crack me up so I cant help but let it fly. Is there any other way? BH

·
Premium Member
3,424 Posts
I think the First Laps cars were run in less numbers.
Didn't they say only 250 of each set was going to be run?

I have about 10 WL. all JL slot versions.
I got them pretty cheap during one of those rare dips in the market on ebay.

I've been collecting from the bay for 5 yrs now and I have noticed that prices seem to run in cycles. For example, the spring seems like a good seller's market... must be the tax refund checks.. then it dips a bit in the summer.

That how it looks to me anyway.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Son of a .... now I have to decide between my doorknob collection and my slotcars? I really do like them both, and some of those doorknobs really fly around my track. :hat:

I have admittedly been known to collect cars here and there, being a fan of the 71' Chargers and the road-runners and frankly anything else I had as a kid. I am one of those guys that have picked up the white lightnings on ebay, as if I only want one car, why would I want to buy a case of them to have a 71% (according to recent numbers by someone here) of getting a WL, maybe not even the one I want? Sometimes I get a screaming deal because someone lists a car at the wrong time and no one really sees it, other times I pay a bit more. But I never pay more than I want to pay and if it's what I am looking for and have a few extra bucks, it isn't a big deal to me.

The lesson I learned years ago with anything you collect is to collect things you enjoy versus things you think you might make money on. If you're trying to make a quick buck you're going to get disappointed more often than not. Now if you'll excuse me, I have got to go find that signal colors series Bill is talking about, those sound awesome! :tongue: And maybe sell the doorknobs, not sure yet about that...

Bill Hall said:
Oh Fiddlesticks, there went my reputation. I'll never be prom queen now! Yarrrrgh! Joe, Thanks for your kind understanding. I was bustin a gut when I rattled that last one out. I'm actually pretty much a pacifist til something drags the kraut oughta me. Like collectors of doorknobs with more money than sense. Hmmmm.... Wonder where I heard that last part? All my stuff should always be read toungue in cheek, which of course is the fashion it was written in. All you guys crack me up so I cant help but let it fly. Is there any other way? BH

·
Slotcar Fanatic
13,013 Posts
Bill Hall said:
Wonder where I heard that last part? All my stuff should always be read toungue in cheek, which of course is the fashion it was written in. All you guys crack me up so I cant help but let it fly. Is there any other way? BH

You need to come join in on the Slotcar Chat on Wed nights starting around 8:30 PM EST. We're all toungue and cheek (and then some) there.

And as far as White ones, run 'em like Goose Chicken does! :thumbsup: rr

·
Model Murdering
7,331 Posts
Video Jimmy, truer words were never spoken. E-bay has a pulse! There also appears to be a huge swing pre and post Christmas/New Years as the totals seem ebb and then spike hard! I think the whole summer dirth thing is due to the fact that most of the snake oil vendors are busy beating the brush to find me my next treasure! All the regular fixtures remain but the gypsys break camp for summer.

·
Villain
4,632 Posts
The first lap cars ARE MORE COMMON, 500 sets produced and you can still get a set from Autoworld for 119.00 (about 20 bucks a car).
Of the white thunders.....the jewel case versions are 1/2 of what the clam packs are, so if you get a jewel case white ,they're the harder to find/less produced.
In the past, white thunder runs where approx. 5%, these new runs are 1 or 2 %. there may be alot of them on fleabay now, but as soon as the collectors get the ones they want, you'll see a slow down in sales and probably price, because no one will be fighting /bidding against each other.

·
Premium Member
1,085 Posts
sethndaddy, Is this a flip from the first first release (the Mopars and Dukes) of AW cars? I had no trouble getting all of the jewel case wts. Still haven't gotten 5 of the clamshells. Of the second first release I have 4 jewels and 7 clams.

I am not sure if I like the new system of all cars being wts clam and jewel. Now if you are the insane collector, like myself, you end up having to get 48 cars. Used to be a max of 30.

·
Villain
4,632 Posts
Clam packs were double produced because they were intended to be a push into hobby stores (easier to peg them up then stack them on a shelf).
and new to this release, every single car was produced as a white thunder. 2 thunders to a case meant to get all the white you would need to buy12 master cases (3 of each) but that doesn't mean you won't get doubles....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts